User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2007, 09:14 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Wyoming natural gas fields.........

Anybody worked in southeast wyoming hauling fuel to gas rigs for there equitment. You work 12 hr days, 10 on 5 off, good money and alot of overtime. If so, what was your take on it......................
Old 04-28-2007, 01:06 PM
Senior Board Member

I worked in Evanston for the best part of the "Boom", 79-83. Don't know where you got your time info from.

Back then the hours were dependant on which job you had. If you worked on the rig crew, you worked a 12 hour shift, with a 14 days on and 14 days off schedule. If you worked for one of the Service company's...Dowell, Halliburton, BJ Hughes...you worked a 5 & 2, 5 & 2, 5 & 3 schedule. If you drove water truck, you were usually out for the duration...very few days off.

I worked for Dowell. When we were in the yard, we worked an 8 to 10 hour day, depending on how much work needed to be done on the pumping equipment. Once we went out on a well, we were there for the duration. If the job took a week, then that was how long we stayed out. Sometimes the District would send a catering service out to feed us..most times not.

On the Rig, the Crew worked the same schedule that thier "Tool Pusher" and the "Company Hand" worked, so they were all familiar with each other...so accidents and miscommunication were not a problem.

By the way..sometimes it took the crew 2 hours to get from home to the rig..so you added 4 hours to that 12 hour work shift. Some of the company's....Chevron, Amoco, Ameriquest on the Oil company side, Nabors, Manning, Parker, on the drilling company side, would set-up "Man Camps" so that the crews didn't have to commute. When there was a "Camp" in place, the food was good, and there was satelitte TV for everyone to watch. Daily showers for everyone as well.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:43 AM

I spoke with the people at Wind River and they told me it was $14 per hour to start with increases to $16 (about one thousand bucks a week) very expensive to live in the area but if you bring an RV they may let you stay in the yard (hookups included)
HTH
Old 05-01-2007, 02:16 AM

There are many, many jobs available in Sublette County and the surrounding areas of Wyoming working in the gas and oil fields.

I run a belly dump, mostly building locations and roads for the oil rigs and make 19 an hour. The other companies in the area all pay about the same, some haul pebbles and others water/oil/flowback/pit water/drilling mud/etc... in 150 to 200 barrel tankers. (an oilfield barrel is 42 gallons)

Some places (like where I work) follow the hours of service rules to the letter. Others can't be bothered and it isn't unusual to work 120 hours a week.

If you are an owner/operator and have a belly dump you will get 100 an hour, at least 10 hours a day 5 days a week. Water tankers make the same but the competition is a little stiffer and work can be hard to nail down.

The area is in a huge boom right now with no end in sight. With winter just getting over and the deer migrating out of the area, the work is really taking off and everyone is looking for help.

The main drawbacks here are that housing is VERY hard to find and is expensive when you do find it. A guy I work with has been on half a dozen different waiting lists for more than 6 months hoping for a place to come open. If you have an RV, pull behind camper or something similar then finding a place to park it isn't too bad, but can be expensive depending on where you want to be. (ranging from 350 to 600 a month) If you don't mind dry camping for the summer there are huge national forest areas with open dispersed camping, but you have to move to a new place every 14 days or so or the rangers will get on you.

Winters here are more than brutal. 40 below zero as a high temperature during the day time is the norm for at least 6 weeks straight. Many people make it through the winter in their RV's or campers with proper preparation and a lot of propane to keep warm.

If you or your SO like to shop, the closest good shopping is 120 miles south in Rock Springs or 90 miles North in Jackson (from where I live in Marbleton). There are local grocery stores and such, but the prices are higher than what you'll be used to.

Feel free to send a message or e-mail if you would like to know more.

Dan