User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2007, 02:13 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default need some advice

Ok here goes i have a friend that left the same company i did few weeks ago and we are now with a new company that seems too be a real good comany iam happy with.
My question is if you know that a driver is running 2 log books and has been in the driver seat for 25hrs because he has to get home at a certain time but insists on doing what ever it takes too get there would you say something too your terminal manager or would leave it alone knowing that he is jepordizing his life as well as others out on the road?

ps would like some input on this thx

scooter421
Old 04-15-2007, 02:42 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member
Default Re: need some advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter421
Ok here goes i have a friend that left the same company i did few weeks ago and we are now with a new company that seems too be a real good comany iam happy with.
My question is if you know that a driver is running 2 log books and has been in the driver seat for 25hrs because he has to get home at a certain time but insists on doing what ever it takes too get there would you say something too your terminal manager or would leave it alone knowing that he is jepordizing his life as well as others out on the road?

ps would like some input on this thx

scooter421
Do you want to get involved or look the other way?
Is the TM going to care or look the other way?
Do you want to do what's right or look the other way?
I dont worry about what my co-workers are doing, unless its life threatening........
25 hours behind the wheel is a long time.........
Doesnt really matter what we would do.
You have the most knowledge of the situation.
What do you want to do???????
Old 04-16-2007, 12:36 AM
Senior Board Member

I don't think any of us out here can make that call for you. I know a guy who ran 23 hours straight through one time, and he was fine. I also know a guy who fell asleep at the wheel about two hours out of the house after a weekend off, who could not possibly have been more legal or more rested. They were the same guy.

It's impossible for anyone to tell anyone else where to draw the line. That guy who ran 23 hours was in flagrant violation of every law, but he needed desperately to get home, and he made it fine. That guy who fell asleep at the wheel was in total compliance with every law, but he really needed to pull over and take a nap anyway.

Where do you draw the line? Where does any man?

Personally, I wouldn't narc on your friend just because he's violating the HOS rules. Based on the experiences of that guy named above, I'd say the HOS rules really aren't the end all and be all of keeping somebody from driving sleepy anyway, and, in fact, I'd say they're pretty pointless, and I'd say what the industry really needs is some kind of alertness monitoring system to let you drive when you're alert, and shut you down when you're nodding off, no matter how many hours you've been behind the wheel.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:56 AM
Board Regular

I'd just stick to what affects me personally.