User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2007, 02:20 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo
So you want to be a truck driver. Tired of making dough and want to make some dough?
Not sure if I should put a :lol: or a :roll:

:P :lol:

How about some free pizzas for the members of CAD?!!
Old 04-13-2007, 06:55 AM
Board Regular

im tired of sling dough just to make dough.

The list of companies wanting to hire me is growing by the day. I guess only 1 accident in 5 years and no tickets in 5 years makes u a an easy hire.

As far as the physicial card goes i think i'll email my recruiter and ask. I have to go to the doctor anyway for my yearly physical, so if thats the case i'll have him do it for me.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:04 AM

*ROTFLMAO* You sure you didnt have a funny doctor *BG* For me self I never had a physical like that. ops:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapa7272
how hard is the dot physical??
It's not bad except for the part where the doctor shoves both his fists up your butt. That part kind of sucks. The thing where they test your reflexes by thocking you in the nuts with a rubber hammer is not cool either, but it's all part of what you have to go through to drive for a living, and it's not as bad as what the DOT does to you.
Quote:
do i have to take the dot physical that swift provides or can i go to my physician and have him do it for me?
That depends on the company. I have two medical cards in my wallet that are both good. My current employer would not accept a physical unless it was from THEIR doctor, so I had to drive 16 hours round trip for the @#%@#% physical. The DOT doesn't give a rat's ass who signed the card, as long as you have a card. It's all up to your company. In my case, the company physical was a joke compared to my regular physical. He only put ONE hand up my butt, and he actually used a soft hammer to thock me in the nuts, instead of a ball pein.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyykatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo
So you want to be a truck driver. Tired of making dough and want to make some dough?
Not sure if I should put a :lol: or a :roll:

:P :lol:

How about some free pizzas for the members of CAD?!!
I will take the :roll: but I was looking for a and now I am ops:
Old 04-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Board Regular

swift said that i have to take their physical
Old 04-13-2007, 08:20 PM

Don't bother getting a physical from your doc. Each and every company you go to will want one they sent you to. I got one in order to go to school, then I got another a few months later when I went to Crete. I think I may have actually had 3 valid physicals at one point but don't remember for sure. Concerning where to go to school, go to a private school and either get tuition assistance or pay for it out of your own pocket. It seems the companies with better reputations usually don't run their own schools, just as a general rule. If you are interested in flatbedding I would also take a look at Maverick, I think their commitment is 6 months?? If you go through their CDL school. Not sure on that though. Look at it this way, you will be learning and talking to lots of experienced people when you go to school. I would hate to get into a company sponsored program and be stuck for a year when you find out the company isn't what it was cracked up to be. I was just looking at Swifts website videos one lady mentioned a 2 year commitment. :shock:

Good luck.
Mike
Old 04-14-2007, 12:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apache34
*ROTFLMAO* You sure you didnt have a funny doctor *BG* For me self I never had a physical like that. ops:
'Bout time somebody caught that. I loved the part where I said "it's not as bad as what the DOT does to you though."

Shame on me for tryin' to scare the widdle feller.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:47 AM
Board Regular

Trust me. stay with the pizza business...In the long run, you are much better off and you will associate with a much better group of people. Plus if you have a life, why give it up ??
Old 04-14-2007, 07:41 AM
Board Regular

i dont have much of a life as it is. I dont have a gfriend or anything, and it would be good to get out and see the country and do something different. One of the guys i work with drives a truck for a living and he loves it.

Funny thing is of all the companies who want me the one that doesnt want me is schneider. I talked to the guy today all he said was " Im sorry but we can not proceed any further with this application". So i told him "well theres plenty other companies out there that want to have me at their school. Im going to swift then. I dont think he liked that and he basically hung up the phone.

Im gonna go with swift. I want to see the open road and experience new places I havent been before. the pizza business is becoming worse by the day . They closed a store this week that hasnt been turning a profit, and we are all starting to wonder if they are gonna shut down other stores in the area that havent turned profits for a while.

Im willing to try anything once. Whats the worst that happens I go get my cdl work for the year to payback the school and move on and do something else if i figure out its not for me, but you wont know until you try. Plus I need to know how to do something else in life besides sling pizzas around.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:53 AM

Get your CDL and keep your record clean and you will never want for a job again (unless the Mexicans invade the industry). It sounds like you got a good attitude and very little if any responsability at home. If you can, get out of your lease if you have one and just shack up with your parents when you're home, you won't be home enough to wear out your welcome .
After the first year you'll be in a much better position to write your own ticket.
The Schneider thing is odd, I admit. I worked for them in the late 90's and they were a pretty decent company, but guys got in with worse driving records than what you claim. Maybe they're tightening the screws.