User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Great Wide ????

Not that I am interested just observed a "Great Wide" truck the other day. If it was even a 90's model CabOver I would be surprised. Was not quite road ready looking to me. Do they all look like that? It was interesting that the very next day there was a small add for Great Wide in the Sunday Edition.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Board Regular

as far as i know greatwide is an owner operator company, what used to be, well i can't remember the name, but they're an owner operator outfit who hauls generally Wal Mart freight. I think the company used to be Central Refrigerated or something like that, headquartered out of Texas.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:42 AM
Senior Board Member

GreatWide seems to have come out of the wall with money to spend. This is from their website.

Greatwide Logistics Services was formed in 2000 when Fenway Partners, a New York-based private equity firm with more than $1.4 billion in funds under management - and a significant investor in the transportation/logistics sector - acquired Transport Industries, L.P., a dedicated contract trucking carrier in Mesquite, Texas. Since then, the company has steadily expanded its operations through a series of acquisitions. Today, the Greatwide team consists of nine subsidiary firms, including:

Transport Industries, L.P.
The nation's largest third-party provider of "closed loop" transportation services to the grocery industry. Based in Mesquite, Texas, Greatwide made a platform acquisition of the company in August 2000.

May Trucking Inc.
A dedicated carrier trucking company operating in 48 U.S. states. Based in Grottoes, Virginia, Greatwide acquired the company in December 2003.

Total Distribution
A major asset-light warehouse and distribution logistics provider based in Phoenix, Arizona. Greatwide acquired the company in June 2004.

American Trans-Freight
A non-asset-based truckload capacity provider based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Greatwide acquired the company in July 2004.

Stewart Stiles
A regional transport and logistics provider based in Cornelius, Oregon. Greatwide acquired the company in September 2004.

N.F.C.
A dedicated contract carriage provider for department stores based in Portland, Oregon. Greatwide acquired the company in September 2004.

Cargo-Master Inc.
One of the nation's largest privately held trucking brokerage companies. Based in Dallas, Texas, Greatwide acquired the company in September 2005.

Am-Can Transport Services Inc.
A major U.S.-dedicated contract carriage provider serving the Southeast, Midwest, West Coast and Northwest, as well as Canada; based in Anderson, South Carolina.Dallas & Mavis Specialized Carrier Co.
One of the nation’s largest truckload carriers. Based in Kenosha, Wisconsin, Greatwide acquired the company in September 2005.

In addition, the following subsidiaries allow Greatwide to provide its customers with a fully integrated range of transportation and logistics management services under one roof including:

Dedicated Transport
A provider of outsourced, "closed loop" transportation services to major retail clients - including Wal-Mart, Target, Pepsico, Nordstrom and Sysco - through one of the largest fleets of owner operators in the United States.

Truckload Management
Currently the third largest non-asset-based truckload carrier in the United States, Truckload Management is a freight distribution services operation with a 32-state national territory for clients such as Wal-Mart, Ford Motor, GM, UPS and Dow.

Truckload Brokerage
A full-service truckload brokerage operation with 18 offices throughout the United States that serve clients such as Coca Cola, Kraft, Wal-Mart, Kroger and General Tire.

Distribution Logistics
A full-service warehouse and distribution logistics operation with 3.6 million square feet of warehouse space, serving clients such as Coca Cola, Walgreens, Target, Pier 1 Imports and Hill's Pet Nutrition.

Awards & Recognition
Greatwide's superior capabilities, combined with the skills and expertise of our employees and management team, have earned the company numerous industry and customer awards:

2003 Wal-Mart "Grocery Carrier of the Year"

2003 and 2004 Super Target "Partner of the Year"

2003 Wal-Mart "Safety Office of the Year"

2005 Transport Topics' No. 40 transportation/logistics company

Listed as Inbound Logistics' Number Two 3PL Provider, Total Distribution for Quality, 2004

They are poud of themselves aren't they.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:50 AM
Senior Board Member

I see a fair number of the O/O pulling out of the Wally World DC east of Reno here. I also see England tractors pulling Wal Mart reefers & vans.

After they get their piece of the action there can't be all that much left or the O/O with how little WM pays.

I frequently see them advertising here.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Rookie
Default GreatWide

I have just been hired by Brisk Transport, Front Royal VA, owned by GreatWide. This is my first veture into benig an O/O. I looked a really long time (5+yrs) at different companies. I did my homework, I believe.

They offered me .93 per mile with 100% fuel surcharge. It works out to $1.14 or so per mile. They pay all tolls, and I am home every weekend. They close the doors on the weekends, I can stay out if I want to but it is not required.

The thing that I liked about running for this company was the fact that it is a closed loop company. All I will be hauling is SYSCO products from a distibution warehouse in VA to various SYSCO terminals from VA to ME.

I talked with a lot of drivers and the concensus from them was that most of the time there is no waiting, a lot of times your unloaded before you have handed your papers to the recieving clerk, your back hauls are all pre planned, and most are drop and hook.

Yes I would have agree about some of the trucks you see pulling for them, it could be that those drivers aren't runners. I have been told that there are a few there who don't like to run. Rather sit in the yard and talk trucks.

I think I did my homework, I have thought about buying a tractor for 12 or so years, really put an effort of learning all I can about being an o/o, even though I still have so much to learn.

I can run as hard as I want, which is good for me, I was told by a handful of drivers that 2 guys out of Front Royal each made 205-210,000 last year. That was with each having only one truck. Shoot if I make 150-175000 I'll be really happy.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: GreatWide

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJParker
I have just been hired by Brisk Transport, Front Royal VA, owned by GreatWide. This is my first veture into benig an O/O. I looked a really long time (5+yrs) at different companies. I did my homework, I believe.

They offered me .93 per mile with 100% fuel surcharge. It works out to $1.14 or so per mile. They pay all tolls, and I am home every weekend. They close the doors on the weekends, I can stay out if I want to but it is not required.

The thing that I liked about running for this company was the fact that it is a closed loop company. All I will be hauling is SYSCO products from a distibution warehouse in VA to various SYSCO terminals from VA to ME.

I talked with a lot of drivers and the concensus from them was that most of the time there is no waiting, a lot of times your unloaded before you have handed your papers to the recieving clerk, your back hauls are all pre planned, and most are drop and hook.

Yes I would have agree about some of the trucks you see pulling for them, it could be that those drivers aren't runners. I have been told that there are a few there who don't like to run. Rather sit in the yard and talk trucks.

I think I did my homework, I have thought about buying a tractor for 12 or so years, really put an effort of learning all I can about being an o/o, even though I still have so much to learn.

I can run as hard as I want, which is good for me, I was told by a handful of drivers that 2 guys out of Front Royal each made 205-210,000 last year. That was with each having only one truck. Shoot if I make 150-175000 I'll be really happy.

good luck...ive been looking into greatwide(owned by dallas mavis right?) also, i live outside winston-salem NC looking forward to speaking with anyone else who has run or does run for this company :lol:
Old 02-08-2015, 01:40 AM
Rookie
Default Greatwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJParker View Post

how was your experience with Greatwide?