User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default KNIGHT TRANSPORTATION GULPORT OR SUPER SERVICE

I was just wanting to see if anybody could tell me anything about either of these companies i am leaning toward going to work for knight but i am not sure so if anybody could tell me some good and bad about the two it would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: KNIGHT TRANSPORTATION GULPORT OR SUPER SERVICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENEGADE7565
I was just wanting to see if anybody could tell me anything about either of these companies i am leaning toward going to work for knight but i am not sure so if anybody could tell me some good and bad about the two it would be greatly appreciated
I have talked to Knight drivers and they seem to be a pretty content bunch. Their trucks are governed at 65 I think....at one point I even thought of driving for them and doing regional...but they have a no pet policy, so I stayed at where I was.

Now I drive a hazmat tanker....no pets allowed... go figure :? :? 8) 8)

Since you live in Mobile...they should have no trouble getting you home.

You might want to do a search here on this site using Knight as your searchword and see what you get. BOL!

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Rookie

yeah skywalker the drivers i have talked to have seemed content also i had talked to superservice also but i dont see their trucks around where i live very much and that is not a good thing i live right close to I 65 close to a pilot and i see knight trucks in there all the time many of them
yeah i have been pulling a flatbed for a while and it is time to do something different
Old 04-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Rookie

oh well i hope i am making the right decision off to gulfport right now for orientation in the morning for knight
Old 04-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Board Regular

I think you're making the right decision. I went back to the Slc terminal today to reapply and was hired on the spot. Everyone remembered me and was very happy to see me. There are some important things to remember with knight.

1. Each terminal is run independant on the others, if you're in SLC and I'm in slc waiting on loads, I might get one before you, but the same will happen if I'm in your territory, you'll get it before me.
2. Make friends with the shop, bring them in pizza every now and then, it might help you get bumped ahead of other people in line.
3. Run legal, no excuses. We had soome bad accidents last year so DOT is keeping both eyes on us. If some one pushes to run illegal, do not speak to them on the phone make sure you communicate through the Qcom and state exactly why you cannot do the run," I'm sorry, I cannot do the run legally, out of hours, not enough hours to finish run, need 10 hr break,ect,ect" I usually havn't had that come up to often, usually only when I deal with another terminal.
4. Keep your ears open! I'm not sure how you're going to run, but keep your ears and eyes open and you might hear of a dedicated opportunity or discover a freiht lane that you really like. A good dedicated run makes all the difference. especially if it's in a dry area for freight. I was dedicated to maytag in Mira Loma CA, and I would get bumped ahead of other drivers waiting on loads becauase Maytag was my baby.
5. Knight doesn't pay the best, bennies are average, 401k Sucks. I prefer to take care of my own money,so It doesn't bother me that much. Knight also doesn't pay for exp. But they make things easy,,,very easy. I left for 6 months and they are still going to pay me what I was at when I left. And there is no forced dispatch, just don't make a habit of turning down loads, Most DM's will take care of you.
5. We have some really nice terminals (SLC, tilare, Katy) and we have some real Sh*t bag ones.
6. Have fun

PM me if you'd like more info. Just looked at the paper work they gave me, looks like they raised their pay again, starts of at .33 and goes up to .36 by the end of the year. We also have a sliding pay scale, detension, extra pay for haz-mat, not sure how much tho'

Good luck

Chris
Old 04-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Default THINKING OF GOING WITH KINGHT TRANSPORTATION

BUT WONDER HOW ARE THEIR RUNNING LANES ARE?
Old 04-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythe08
2. Make friends with the shop, bring them in pizza every now and then, it might help you get bumped ahead of other people in line.
Chris
If I saw you do that and you did get bumped ahead of me I guarantee that we would have words. I also guarantee that in the end I would get serviced ahead of you in the proper order. That kind of behavior is bullsh*t.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 04-09-2007, 02:06 AM
Senior Board Member

When I was with Knight the only time I ever seen someone get bumped up in line at the shop is if the service they needed was a short and sweet deal like replacing a trailer light or something like that.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:38 AM
Board Regular

I guess it all depends on your attitude. If you come into the shop and are in a$$hole then best of luck to you. There were 2 times I was moved ahead in line, both times where because I was the only one in that office who wasn't swearing and being rude to the mechanics and I was also under dispatch and they wern't. The pizza was a thank to them.

For a major repair then yes first come first serve, but if it's a minute repair then usually I would get helped out, most of the time I would do it myself if they gave me the part. But I would often get alot better service if I brought some lunch or gave them a soda. They might actually fix something that they saw without me having to point it out first.

I didn't mean to sound like I was saying bribe them, I should have added more info to that comment on #2, my bad. I should have said treat them with respect and hopefully they'll do the same. I know most of the people at the SLC shop and I see how they're treated by the some of the monsters that visit that terminal.

Hmmm 3 pargraphs and still didn't say much, must be getting tired, sorry.

Have a safe trip.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:41 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythe08
I guess it all depends on your attitude. If you come into the shop and are in a$$hole then best of luck to you. There were 2 times I was moved ahead in line, both times where because I was the only one in that office who wasn't swearing and being rude to the mechanics and I was also under dispatch and they wern't. The pizza was a thank to them.

For a major repair then yes first come first serve, but if it's a minute repair then usually I would get helped out, most of the time I would do it myself if they gave me the part. But I would often get alot better service if I brought some lunch or gave them a soda. They might actually fix something that they saw without me having to point it out first.

I didn't mean to sound like I was saying bribe them, I should have added more info to that comment on #2, my bad. I should have said treat them with respect and hopefully they'll do the same. I know most of the people at the SLC shop and I see how they're treated by the some of the monsters that visit that terminal.

Hmmm 3 pargraphs and still didn't say much, must be getting tired, sorry.

Have a safe trip.
Being Polite does get you places. Though wiith a different company, I always got the preferred shop work done over some others. I'll pull in and have problems with the truck they dropped everything and took my truck in. Some of the other drivers asked me how did I get in so fast? I said I did not go in cussing them out.. I always asking them questions about this or that, so they knew I was trying to take care of the equipment.

I never bought them a pizza, but I always said Thank You.. Teased them a little, but nothing to make them mad.