User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Maverick....Unbelievable!!!!

Well I receieved another call from Maverick today ( Thursday) wanting me to start on Monday...again!! I explained to him that I work for the State of Indiana and that I have to give a 2 week notice and he flat- out stated that with the way they operate that it would be impossible to hire me with that type of notice ( although, I bet if you left Maverick with out a 2 week notice you'd get a bad reference)I cannot just up and quit a job that I've had for 13 years and "Burn my Bridges" I cannot believe that a Company that alledgedly is that professional could be that...well, unprofessional. As a result, I asked him to remove me from the hire list because I feel anyone that wants me to go to work for them would respect my decision to give an employer a 2 week notice as I'm sure they would want one.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Rookie

You are doing the right thing. I am not sure of your current situation, but I would not be in a hurry to drop your PERF. As far as giving 2 week notice to a trucking company. The SOP is when you give your notice, you are immediately routed to a terminal to turn in the truck ASAP. You will seldom if ever actually complete 2 weeks once notice is given.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:40 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Sounds to me like it's a recruiter looking for a quick commission. I'd tell him to shove off and ask for the director of recruiting. Tell him/her what's been happening and let them deal with it.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Senior Board Member

I agree...sounds like the recruiter needs a quick hire. Like they wont need drivers in a few weeks.
Occasionaly we will have one day where if you schedule drivers that day and get him in that next week our commisions will be a lot more. However, I would never tell the driver he absolutely has to come in quickly. I usually tell the driver the truth...I say, "hey, if I can get you in next week I get a much better commission....come in monday, pass everything and I will give you 100 bucks...otherwise, we can schedule you out a few weeks."

Now there is an exception to this. I dont know about their dedicated jobs. But there are times where I have some local or dedicated job where we only need 1 or 2 drivers. Fact is that the job wont be there in two weeks. First in orientation, first gets the job. And just because you have to give two weeks notice, most likely the next driver I talk to wont.
That very likely could have been the situation if it were a dedicated job.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:14 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Leaving

"give your notice, you are immediately routed to a terminal to turn in the truck" Not my experience, but then maybe JBHT is one of the good guys. BOL
Old 03-30-2007, 04:20 AM
Board Regular

As far as I know Maverick doesn't have any dedicated jobs, so the recruiter is probably just being an a$$. It amazes me the stories I hear on here about the recruiters when mine was so good to me. I can promise you that the rest of the company doesn't work this way either. They must hire their recruiters from the local chain gang or something I guess.

If you want to talk to a good recruiter and one that will shoot you straight (good or bad), talk to Angie. I understand that your probably ticked off enough now to not bother with them anymore, but Angie will give you the skinny on it one way or the other.

Sorry for the problems man,

Arky
Old 03-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
Sounds to me like it's a recruiter looking for a quick commission. I'd tell him to shove off and ask for the director of recruiting. Tell him/her what's been happening and let them deal with it.
Maverick recruiters work on salary, not commission.

As I understand it, for the waiting list, the number of spots for trainees is released to the recruiting dept on monday afternoon, the recruiters then refer to the waiting list and call and ASK the person if they want the spot for the following Sunday. If the trainee can't take the spot, they move to the next name.

Sorry man that you had such a tough time with the recruiter, just thought I'd share that info with you...
Old 04-01-2007, 02:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Flatbed and dedicate usually dont go together.