User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the info. These guys seem to be ok and are getting at least decent reviews in this thread but im a little leary of the training pay situation. According to the recruiter: training is two weeks and is paid at $75.00 dollars a day. They will bus you out to Okemos (lansing) Michigan and put you up but don't pay for meals. so...Im not doing the bus thing so now I have to fly out and eat the difference in ticket cost. I have to pay for my own meals and take that out of my $75. Plus im sure there alot of minor expenses I'm not thinking of. This is giving me a bad taste already. Is it just me or does that seem...meager. It makes me wonder if it's the result of high turnover/training expenses which then makes you wonder...why the turnover?

Oh, does anyone know how these guys dispatch? Seniority, first come first serve etc.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:24 PM
Board Regular

When i did it, they bused us to Greer, SC ( the BWM plant). And yes it was $75 per day, good hotel---you got your own room, did not have to share.

So, they training pay sucked but the training was quite good. The other bad thing was/is that $75 per day means each day you actually trained---what about weekends? You weren't paid.

Yes, i thought and still think it is meager. But i crunched the numbers and you will still come out ahead in the long run compared to most other companies.

2) RE: turnover
a) i can tell you with me, it was the lack of hometime+the relentless running. Truthfully, the reason why you make a lot of money with this company is not so much that you're hauling luxury cars, but because you are working a lot of hours per week. If you were to add it up, you're actually working more than 70 hours per week; You don't have to log all the hours that you load/unload, but, of course, you have to log all your driving hours. Also, some of the equipment was kinda shoddy; The had a lot of problems with corrosion on the carrier bodies. But apparently looking at their rigs lately, they seemed to have licked the problem.

I guess if i were to do it again, i would try to get a freightliner vs. kenworth. I know i say kenworth blows away freightliner----they do. Except in this case, their KW's were much older than the freightliners.
Also, i would tie up all loose ends at home so i wouldn't need to be at home so often. And just run like hell until i met my next life goals.

3) Dispatch was basically first come first served unless two or more drivers arrived at a terminal at the same time. Then it was based on senority.

One advantage to delivering cars is that you are always delivering during daytime, normal business hours. None of this overnight bullsht. Also, rarely if ever an appointment. Occasionally you will have an appointment delivery where the owner will come out to pick the car up and they will take pictures etc. But it's still during the daytime.

You deliver when you want---within reason. No more time pressure bullsht. No more driving into the night into the morning----unless you want to.

i delivered a z-8 to atlantic city one time and everybody went ape sht.

Also, people tend to go ape sht over porsche turbos. (?)