User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Unimark

Looking at a couple ads for truck transporting. One for Unimark and the other for Truck Transfer Service. Has anyone here done this type of work? I see the promises of $1.20/mile with no truck payment or fuel tax, but it seems rather vague about the average out of pocket expenses for everything else. TTS shows home weekends hiring area is the eastern 1/3 of the U.S. and Unimark doesn't show a hiring area and says "choose your own hometime". Any info is appreciated.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:54 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Truck Delivery

Look for posts by Dieselducey, or something like that either here, at truck.net, or pumpkindriver.com. I think he was doing that for awhile. Sounded like he was an IC and all the stuff you take with you is FedExed or flies with you on a plane or Greydog when returning to your start point. Didn't sound like a good deal to me. A search term you could use is "decking", the process of stacking the pulled truck steer axle above the fifth wheel of the towing truck. BOL
Old 03-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Board Regular

Not to interject, but Diesel was not an IC, he was an employee of swift so they(swift) paid for all his hotel's and flights and any transportation. Swift then proceeded to "F" up the account so swift is no longer in the truck transporting business and then Diesel went over to Schneider.

Diesel is a decent guy and he now drives trains for a living!

Yes, i've done it both ways---IC and employee. I can say that you probably want to go with Autotruck transport (but they're not hiring now) or Active transport. You probably want to try this field as an employee first. Get a taste of it, see if you like it. Then, if you want to try IC you'll have a better feel for it. I think you can make decent $$$ as IC "under ideal conditions."

I'll PM you for more info.