User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Companys That DO NOT Cheat Drivers on Miles

Are there any company's that do not cheat drivers on miles?
My company has cheated me on miles on every trip ( what they say miles are vs my odometer ).

Last trip I got shorted almost 300 miles. I do not site see, always take the shortest and quickest route.

Is this practice common with all company's?

Since I plan to look for a company that is more honest, please give me some
suggestions.

Many thanks in advance
Old 03-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Board Icon

There are a FEW that pay hub miles. However, usually the tradeoff is that the company is REALLY anal about out of route miles. They tell you which way to go, and if you don't, they write you up for it.

I can't remember the name, but one of the trucker's "magazines" had an ad in it recently for some company that was advertising hub miles.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Hub vs. Practical vs HHG Miles

This is an often, in my opinion, a very misunderstood subject.

First, Hub miles makes it very easy to connect CPM with an expected pay check. You turn in an odometer reading and you get paid. Watkins Shepard pays this way.

Practical Miles provides a pre-determined route based on a point to point mapping. The route is typically a PC-Miler truck route. This is pretty close to Hub miles but does not pay the detour you had to take, or getting off route to fuel, or the 4 mile circle you had to do to get turned around. I also found that PC-Miler will route on US highways in town that might not be a truck route. The little things that add up but I found no more than 3%-5% given 500 - 1100 mile average trips.

Household Good Miles is a matrix of Post Office zip-code to Post Office zip-code distances that originated years ago. This is a shortest distance between points. Here you are not paid for getting on or off the highway, distances further than the center of post office zip-code, or any of the things listed above. You might feel very cheated ...

But let me add some perspective. If I pay you .38 per mile HHG and the company that pays hub sets their rate at .31 per mile -- are you really getting cheated? On average you figure 15% - 20% difference between HHG and Hub miles. 20% of .38 is about .07 and that would mean that you would be paid about equal.

This is a real example of Watkins Shepard vs Marten. Now if I did not understand this I might say "Hey I do not want to work for Marten .. they cheat drivers .." but in reality you just have to compare apples to apples and that takes a little bit of research.

Now .. there is a lot of paperwork with a company paying hub miles. A company paying HHG might have a lot less paperwork. So given that the we are now looking at apples to apples .. I might take .38 HHG over .31 hub to have less paperwork.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Poly-Trucking pays hub miles
Old 03-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel27208
Poly-Trucking pays hub miles
That's the one I saw advertising! Now I don't have to rack my brain over it. Thanks!