LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 03:58 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Leaving the industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude06
CDL school was a waste of Money $4695 Later. Back to the old career.
Only a waste if you want it to be. Maintain your CDL, and keep your eyes open, you never know when an opportunity will pop up.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:06 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Leaving the industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvan

But I can't go back out there, and there's nothing to do around here.
Doubtful that is the case. In most areas, there are things you can do, only you haven't thought of them yet. Keep your eyes open and more importantly, keep your mind open. Maybe you'll even have to do something drastic like move, or go back to school. But hey, if you want something different than what you are getting you have to do something different than what you are doing. Fail to think outside the box, and that box will be your prison for the rest of your life.

Quote:
The only trade I have to ply, I can't ply anymore, and I can't get anybody to hire me to do anything else,
..that you have thought of so far.

Quote:
with 20+ years of experience using computers, speaking three human languages and at least that many computer languages.
What 3 human languages? I know of places like hospitals and marketing firms that will hire someone to be an interpreter for a pretty decent wage. But of course you have to be fluent in a language that is in demand, so if you happen to speak Swahili or something, you are probably SOL in that arena.

Quote:
The only thing I'm any damn good at is writing, and there are 14 billion writers competing for twelve jobs.
So make a 13th job. If you are really good at writing, you will stand out from the masses.

Quote:
It's the end of the world as I knew it, and I feel like crap.
Have a better day tomorrow. No matter how bad you think your life is, just by the fact that you live in this country you are better off than the majority of the world's population.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Board Regular
Default Quitting

Well, I guess most of us thought about quitting driving at one time or another. Unfortunately this industry has a way of grabbing you by the balls and not letting you go. In my opinion, or at least I hope that most of us are in this for the wrong reason. I'm sure I will step on many toes right here, but you must be extremely dumb to enjoy OTR driving in the long run. Sure, in the beginning it might be fun, but where is the freedom that they advertise?
Man, by nature is creative. People do get that urge. Is there anything that you can point to and say "I did that" ( Apart from that pile of crap)
I'm sad to say this, but the less intelligent you are the better you will do in trucking. As far as I'm concerned it is nothing but the waste of one's life. Think about it this way: any time that you spend out there on the road, you steal it from your family. Time that you will never be able to get back, so why do we let them waste it? You see, as long as nobody has to pay for it everybody will waste it. Why don't companies pay as by the hour? Because they would not make any money. What does that prove? That the only money they make is what they steal from the drivers. I've heard that when the driver is waiting the company doesn't make money either. TOUGH! When you do business you assume that risk. I'm just an employee. I give you my time and you pay for it. Use my time any way you want it. You want ME to assume your losses? How come you never come to me when you make money? If I share in the loss, I should share in the profit too. I tell you, we're all stupid. We have the power to change this industry, but you just can't get three drivers together that agree if it's raining or not. That's the way I see it. Now go and rip me to peaces![/i]
Old 03-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Board Regular

Good points:

1)Extremely dumb to enjoy in the long run. I don't know about that.

Extremely dumb to do it for the long run yes. Probably.

2)Creativity. I somewhat disagree. i feel most people aren't creative. Maybe most people want to be deep down inside, but can't.
Now, if you look at my other post-----i built my own bed:
http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=25407

Yes, i was happy and proud and had a sense of accomplishment and all that i made it myself and all. But i would have prefered to buy one instead (if one were available); I don't get off on making things in general.

3) i wouldn't look at it as complete waste; How many local jobs can you make $1,100, $1,400 even $16-1,700 per week? If you were try to do that locally, you would not see much of your family either.
What about the rockers who go on tour for 11months at a time? You tellin me they are wasting time?

Now yes, if you did it long term---more than a year or two then yes, maybe you have questionable intelligence and are "wasting time" as you put it.

The longest i ever went "true OTR" was a month. The longest i was with a company that did OTR was 15 months but it wasn't "true OTR"---we stayed in hotels paid for by the company.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis friend
Good points:

1)Extremely dumb to enjoy in the long run. I don't know about that.

Extremely dumb to do it for the long run yes. Probably.

I am new to the industry, but I tend to agree for the most part. To me, OTR would be a means to an end. The end being experience. Similar to joining the military or going out of state to an intensive school to learn a new trade.

The ultimate end being getting a good paying job locally doing something you love. I know my 1-2 years away from my family will benefit my family in the long run.

Although I think OTR is not a good job to have for many years, there are exceptions to every rule. Some folks love the road and are meant to live on it. Some folks team with their spouse and make a good living together on the road. Some folks don't want a family, or get along better with distance between them.

I would never call these folks dumb, they are doing what they want, and making a very good living doing it.

More power to them!
Old 03-09-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis friend
Good points:

Now yes, if you did it long term---more than a year or two then yes, maybe you have questionable intelligence and are "wasting time" as you put it.

The longest i ever went "true OTR" was a month. The longest i was with a company that did OTR was 15 months but it wasn't "true OTR"---we stayed in hotels paid for by the company.
Not even sure why I'm responding to this.. But I'm sure that there is a lot of people here, SUCCESSFUL people, who jumped in the business a long time ago.. and now own a truck. Some a fleet of trucks, and are making good money.

Your long term goals will let you know if it's a "WASTE OF TIME". I'm here for the long run(PUN INTENDED!) and plain on making as much money as possible. Owning my own truck in the long run, and doing what all naysayers say can't be done. Simple as that. Far from a waste of my time, considering I'm achieving my goal.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Board Regular

Well, what would I know about this. I've only been doing it for 13 years.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:55 AM

Maybe I am of questionable intelligence, i did very well in the transportation field(shipping and recieving) in the military.May have evenmet a few of you at one time, who knows. My supervisors always told me I was doing a great job at eval time. the military even told me this when I was assigned to a special duty squadron with the best transporters and crew cheifs in the air force. My off duty time got me kicked out, oh well though I learned my leson. Barely passed 17 in the military isnt really a great place for a kid anyway.

I got a few things out of the military though, how to grow up and know that what your doing makes a difference and how to drive a truck. Ive put both of these to great use since I got out.(too bad I didnt learn the first before I got out). Every time you deliver a load of lumber, computers, shoes, etc,etc. You make someone happy. If there wasnt otr drivers to get us the things we need then how would we get them? Im sure someone can think of a way to do it. I can even think of a few. Not the point though I absolutely love the open road, telling and hearing the stories at the truckstops that everyone swears is true. Or meeting that driver who goes out of his way to help you secure a tarp on a extra windy day, then disappears before you have a chance to thank him.

There is so much out here to love that it almost brings a tear to my eye to write this because I do love it so much. Ive shown my wife this and one day when he's old enough I want to show my son what I do, even my unborn child who will be here in july. To be able to do this and maybe own my own truck would be great. to own a small fleet would be better. this is the way I support my family ,although sometimes I dont know how we make it but we always do.

So dumb, maybe. hard headed, deffinately. so others can get rich off of me living my dream, sure why not. I love my family and we do cherish the little time we have together. If OTR isnt for you then find the job that gets you home all the time. But if you love it, isnt it worth it