User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hey we are still here....been kinda quiet though....not alot to write about lately

I will update today....

Clint, I enjoy reading your posts too. Alot of us have learned from your experiences. I just like reading your posts and like to see week to week how things go.

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 07-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Come on now buck-o, get with the writing! I need to read me some good stuff!!!
Old 07-02-2007, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudflap276
i enjoy reading these forums, especially the successful ones. two question though. i was talkng to a LP driver in laredo and he mentioned the monthly overage for miles. is this in your lease or do you make enough to support this added charge. you may have written about it somewhere in the forum but i stopped around page 11 or 12. also, are you on a first in-first out dispatch.

play safe
The lease is written to allow for 11k per month. The excessive mileage fee is something like 10¢/mile and is deducted from your settlements. This money is accounted for, and should you decide to buy at the end of the lease, the accrued amount is then applied to the balloon.

Hope that helps.....

"Poverty of Imagination is not a Strength"

Old 07-02-2007, 05:23 AM

"Since the end is never told, we pay the teller off in gold,
In hopes he will return, but he cannot be bought or sold."
Terrapin Station

And the Whistle is Screaming..........

Old 07-02-2007, 05:24 AM

"Since the end is never told, we pay the teller off in gold,
In hopes he will return, but he cannot be bought or sold."
Terrapin Station

And the Whistle is Screaming..........

Old 07-02-2007, 05:27 AM
Rookie

Hey clint whats with these half-azzed replies? DOnt let these haters,scare you away from posting. I was enjoying reading your posts,but now its plain and boring.I wouldnt mind knowing the ins and outs of how there L/O is treating you,but i guess i'll have to gauge it for myself.

I pick up my truck in PHX this friday, i have never owned my own business.But i do know that in order to be sucessful you have to surround yourself,with smarter people.

Iv'e set goals for myself, in Jan when the freight is slow,im going to get a APU system installed in the truck.I want to be able to pay off the truck in cash,when the lease is up.To be able to do this without being a trainer.After the truck is paid off,and i feel that i'm ready to train another future driver,then i would like to try being a trainer.

I'll update you this friday,when i get my hands on those keys,and after i dry hump the truck....keep us updated clint,lately on the boring azz,1 sentance,not really saying much meter,you score a 10 out of 10.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zexersix
Hey clint whats with these half-azzed replies? DOnt let these haters,scare you away from posting. I was enjoying reading your posts,but now its plain and boring.I wouldnt mind knowing the ins and outs of how there L/O is treating you,but i guess i'll have to gauge it for myself.
Mind your manners, sonny. I fear nothing of those of whom you speak. They have yet to rear their ugly heads here either. Plain and boring, you say? Then why bother.......

Quote:
I pick up my truck in PHX this friday, i have never owned my own business.But i do know that in order to be sucessful you have to surround yourself,with smarter people.
I tip my hat to your new adventure. Good thing you chose to take delivery of your tractor in PHX. They have the best selection of units and they seem to be well looked after. For your own sake, I hope you find a qualified technician to inspect your vehicle, should you not have the familiarity to do so competently. It is easy to overlook potentially expensive mechanical issues in the heat of the moment. Please choose your weapon wisely.

Thank you for the compliment. If you PM me, I'll give you my phone number and share what I can.

Quote:
Iv'e set goals for myself, in Jan when the freight is slow,im going to get a APU system installed in the truck.I want to be able to pay off the truck in cash,when the lease is up.To be able to do this without being a trainer.After the truck is paid off,and i feel that i'm ready to train another future driver,then i would like to try being a trainer.
One thing at a time. Goals are important. So is your maintenance account. If you really crank up the witholdings, as I have, you will see your way to liquidity in very short order

The APU is a nice idea, but at $6-$8000, it is a major, major investment.
I would be reluctant to shell out that kind of dough during the lease period. Anything can happen while the vehicle is in IEL's name. Should things take a turn for the worse, and they re-claim the tractor, you would loose that APU and the money you spent to have it installed. Your best bet is to bank the cash, idle the truck only when necessary and bank the cash.

Quote:
I'll update you this friday,when i get my hands on those keys,and after i dry hump the truck....keep us updated clint,lately on the boring azz,1 sentance,not really saying much meter,you score a 10 out of 10.
Manners, please. I deserve more respect......

Old 07-05-2007, 10:00 PM

Folks, I did a good job doing the "what about this company" story. By now, we all know a few things about evil brand S and its flatbed division. It is a tiny beast with big teeth in a jungle of white boxes. If you wanna pull a flat, they have a great division. As evidenced by my successes, it is easy for anyone to see that you can make money here and be treated as well as you treat the good people who run the division.

The trucking business, by necessity of profit and survival, needs to move freight efficiently. Cold as it may seem, the companies will take care of themselves before they take care of the individual. If you come into the industry with virtually no needs, then you will do better than a person who needs to be home every other weekend, or similar. This is particularly true at the bottom of the food chain.

Also, with so many box-haulers out there, it is near impossible to get any recognition or respect in the early days of one's new career. With so many asses out there to fill seats, you can bet yours will be pushed further back when your demands and expectations climb past what "they" want to hear. Finding one's way quickly into a niche of any significance will help reduce your transparency.

I do well because I have no home or family which requires my presence. My RDO status is fixed at 999, which means I am always available. This industry runs because of availability. It dictates freight rates, pure and simple. As I am always available, always on time, and my ETA reliability is near flawless, they keep me real busy. They give me lots of critical loads with tight schedules and I don't ask for much in return.

A young person with this level of availability and dedication to his career could easily retire within 10 years from Swift. It would take careful accountancy, a solid investment and savings strategy and a whole bunch of Will.

My CPA and I went through the lease contract with a fine toothed comb. To do any better would require the services of a good contract attorney. The program is solid, but it is only as good as the person who comes to the game.

I would like to thank everyone who has cheered me on and those who questioned the validity of my posts (Smooth, buddy).

I'm not leaving the boards, but I am through with this thread as mentioned previously. I've grossed $30k to date, netted roughly $9k, banked several thousand in my maintenance account and paid off several grand worth of stale bills from when I was seriously ill last fall. As they say in the hallowed halls of AA; it works if you work it, and if you don't, your misery will gladly be refunded.

Best wishes to everyone.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:07 PM

Clint,Thank you for your time and best wishes..
Old 07-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Senior Board Member