User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 01:18 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Yo Clint...I was wondering where you'd pop up. In a white "Swiftie" it appears. Sounds like a good fit for you and the miles are there...good news!!

Are you going to be full 48 states?
Old 03-04-2007, 02:47 AM
Rookie

samael9, are you percentage or cent per mile and what is the amount. also what about training pay.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Facts
wow swift has a Flat bed devision? (I wonder where I have been lately). I don't think I knew that, I thought they were just huge on the 53' vans, and auto haulers. but flat? see learn something new each day =D.
Yup. I had no idea either! It's kinda neat, actually. They only have around 500 or so rigs pulling flats. They have 53' step decks and 48' skates, all (or mostly all) spread axles. All the tractors have dual 150 gallon fuel tanks, so the headache racks are moved back aways from the back of the cabs. Makes for some interesting gear-storage situations. But, where there's a will, there's a way. No leaving too many goodies on the cat walk either. The nose of the trailer will clean it all off in a jiffy.

What makes it all feel so good is that the flatbed division is, in fact, very small. It just seems to be all out there on its own. And everything just *works* so well. They have so much dedicated freight. Quite literally, tons of steel heads out of Gary for export to Mexico. Then there's all the Freightliner product. Frame rails come up from Mexico and go to the chassis yard in Gaffney, SC. Finished bus, RV, and utility truck chassis go all over the place. Sprinter vans come out of Daimler Chrysler's VPC in Baltimore and go everywhere. I've seen them stuff some of the delivery vans in 53' vans just to get them delivered.

As I mentioned previously, Swift invested a considerable amount of money in my training; much more so than W/S or Arrow. They really "wanted" me to run for them, or so it would seem. And believe me, I work my tail off for them because of it. I log 600+ mile days routinely. Never late, always ahead of schedule, squeaky clean logs and timely QuaalComs. They never once have to wonder about what's up with their freight.

Yes, I am really thrilled. Yes, I get excited about what I am doing. But this time, the work is working. I earned this one. And I am jazzed. And who gives a sh*t about my last job with Arrow. It got me here.... So in that regard, I guess I am grateful.

I never dreamed that I would see the day that I would work for one of the mega-carriers. Never. Yet here I am. Parked at the Gary terminal after a very nice haul from Baltimore. This trip finals in Forest City, IA tomorrow evening for an early am unload on Monday. I'll have 3100 miles for the week by the time I drop on the 5th. I'll bang out the last 350 or so tomorrow afternoon/evening after I do some shopping in the morning.

I would have to say here that this is a *high* recommend for someone wishing to get into flatbedding. In comparison to some of the other companies, the CPM is a little on the low side, but the mileage more than makes up for it. I was told I would start at 27-28 CPM, but in checking my settlement last week, I am getting 30-31 instead. Pleasantly surprised? You betcha!

Yup, Smooth. I know. (sigh) We will see how it goes over time. Forever the optimist. I thought I had game with the last one, but got no miles two weeks into the running. Very much to the contrary here. You can bet I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed on this gig.

I'll keep the updates comin'

:wink:

"Poverty of Imagination is not a Strength"

Old 03-04-2007, 05:22 AM

[quote="redsfan"]Good deal samael! Glad to see you found a good fit with Swift. Now, if things continue to go as well as they have been you'll have to make up your mind if you want to leave them for Melton?

I think I am going to stay put for a while. Yeah, Melton has the oh-so-fine T-600's with 450 hp Kitty C-15's, 13 speed boxes and big fat super singles. It high-centers my laptop just thinking about it. And the facilities.... Mmm.

BUT... I then wonder; will they run me like Swift has? Will the people be as cool to work with? Will it really be better? Having jumped two companies now, I ask myself "is it worth taking the risk?". Not now. Maybe not at all. I dislike nothing of what I've been given so far and I am now interested in protecting what I have. Frankly, I couldn't see how it could get much better, unless I bought my own tractor and went to a higher paying owner/op company like what Tootie and DH did. But I am quite a ways from doing that.

In hindsight, I should have hung on at Watkins Shepard. My friend pulls flat for them and he is raking it. But I had a chunk of living to do after W/S and I don't regret a moment of it, save for the loss of my dog.

Again, we will see how it goes.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomon
Yo Clint...I was wondering where you'd pop up. In a white "Swiftie" it appears. Sounds like a good fit for you and the miles are there...good news!!

Are you going to be full 48 states?
Hey, hey George!

Si'. Great news indeed. I am in the system as all 48, but I haven't been west of CST yet. This sort-of loop from Gary to Laredo to Gaffney and back seems to be working very nicely so far. Yeah, I'm in a white Swiftie. 63 on cruise and 66 on the pedal. (Yawn). I think I'm gonna glue a brick to the bottom of my right driving shoe. Not much to worry about with regards to speeding tickets, unless there's a major tail-wind and the spinnaker is flying. :lol: Now about those winches......

Old 03-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Ahh Clint, just keep the sheet tight and the pole to windward and you'll be fine. As to the winches.....just keep the boat drinks filled up and they'll be happy too... :P
Old 03-04-2007, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomon
Ahh Clint, just keep the sheet tight and the pole to windward and you'll be fine. As to the winches.....just keep the boat drinks filled up and they'll be happy too... :P
Oh Geomon, you are talkin' my language, oh yeah. I was just suggesting to a friend the other day that we should do a bare-boat charter down in the BVI's after next holiday season. I can check out and captain a sloop up to 50' easily. The Moorings has a nice marina in St. Maarten. St. Bart's is a nice day cruise away.... The mere mention has me swimming in 84 degree Caribbean blue.

Flying a chute while on vacation does seem like a bit too much work though. Especially when the boat has a nice genoa. Just wing the beotch and keep twizzling those little bevvy umbrellas. Yup. I can handle it.

Meanwhile, here's the new Betty standing tall at the NASA visitor's center in Mississippi. She's got a load of frame rails neatly stacked under her tarps and heading for Gaffney, SC. The girl has the Volvo D-12 under the bonnet. Everyone told me how bad the engine is, but I find that she putters along very nicely. Ya just gotta row the gearbox a little to keep her focused on the hill-climbs. She averaged 6.8 MPG on this trip!

http://homepage.mac.com/samael9/Betty/index.html

Well; off to Forest City, IA and my final for this trip. 'Twas a good week for miles. We're very happy with the pace of things.

Until next.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:39 AM
Board Regular

i heard jerry owns some steel mills too.i dropped a trailer at that gary yard and it stank real bad.surely they put up a new building by now
Old 03-06-2007, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer
i heard jerry owns some steel mills too.i dropped a trailer at that gary yard and it stank real bad.surely they put up a new building by now
One can only speculate as to how many pies that man has his fingers in. But because of his interests (so I am told) in Freightliner and Vovlo trucks, two things seem to be reasonably sure. We will have lots of Freightliner frieght. The chassis and Sprinter loads are great. They are light, chain up easily and the runs are 1000+ miles from what I've seen so far (and I am quite new to Swift). I happen to really like running a Volvo tractor and Swift has plenty of them. I got my 670 with 249,000 on it. They turn them in at 400,000 miles. So if I run mine for a year, I should get a new one (Don't give me too much sh&t, Smooth) 8) It might just happen!

I was told of the old facility at Gary. Like, it was a shack or something. The newer (if we are talking about the same one) building isn't too bad in the driver lounge area, but the showers are kinda scary. I don't plan on washing when there. It's an in and out thing. I see my DM and fleet manager, hand in paperwork, fuel and hit it.

I made my drop in Forest City IA last night, which puts me at 3100 miles for last week. I woke up to the sound of three beeps on the QC this morning. Off to Earlville, IA to load prefabricated hog pen fencing for some guy near Snowflake, AZ. Almost a 1700 mile trip with a 177 mile dead head. Yeah, baby..... It's a heavy load alright. Like 44,000 lbs. according to the yard manager. I'm pooped. But I scored a great parking spot at the FJ in Waterloo, just before everyone showed up. I figure I'll scale it in the morning before I hit the highway. I think I threw 20 straps today..... Snoozzzzz......... And DM says he's working on getting me a load for the weekend. :shock:

Old 03-09-2007, 04:59 AM

OMG. I am zapped. I made the PHX terminal this evening and I am goin' down like a blind roofer.

But first, the good news. I have one thousand, two hundred and fifteen reasons to love my new job. That's what my settlement came to on last week's trips. I almost blew right through the roof of my Betty when I saw the dollar amount on my QuaalCom screen.

I would write more, but I just ain't got the strength tonight.

8)

I am really pleased......

http://web.mac.com/samael9/iWeb/SwiftBetty/Betty.html

G'night all....