User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2007, 04:21 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagerbomber
I for one am personally shocked at how well Swifts flatbed fleet worked for you...I always just assumed that there would be no reason whatsoever to ever look at running flats for Swift with some of the very good flatbed companies that are out there...I am just plain surprised at how good it seemed to work, Swift flatbed just always seemed to be an after thought for some reason
Good morning, Jagerbomber.

Yes. Very surprising indeed. I am in the middle of composing a short novel regarding both our our reactions to this situation. I'll post it when it is finished.

This venue is rather un-informed. So if one invests heavily in what is written in regards to the various "major players", then all the trucking companies suck. But more on that later.

Swift began as a two truck flatbed company. If one is privileged enough to meet some of the old-timers, as I have, then one begins to get a picture of where Swift came from. Mr. Moyes comes back to work on Monday. And with him will come a sweeping change for the better.

Specifically, the owner/operator division is going to get a lot of his attention. Swift will move to a more heavily biased O/O fleet and the shift is already under way. As I continue to study and digest what I was exposed to in my O/O class yesterday, I will post what I am learning on this thread. While the lease issue is such a "sore thumb" around here, Swift's program, while not easy, is designed for a level of success which cannot be realized as a company driver.

Had I elected to remain status quo, I would make a nice $50,000+/year income. Make no mistake, the flatbed division is very busy. And if a person displays appropriate measures of motivation and pride, they will be immediately recognized as a valuable asset and treated accordingly.

At present, we lack the prettiness of companies like TMC, Melton, Maverick, etc. Beyond that, we have frieght channels which no one else can have access to. We also haul freight which is mutual to all the aforementioned. If one looks carefully, Swift's payscale for flat is ballpark-middle for company driver and sorta low on tarp pay. But, if proven, you will have miles like you never thought possible. If one is foolish enough to get sucked in to the "pie-in-the-sky" CPM game without clear understanding of attainable mileage, pity for them. It is an industry fact that a driver will change companies for the promise of a 2¢ increase. Sh*t goes sour when the jumper finds out that the mileage isn't there. Which explains why I never looked back at Melton after having come aboard with Swift. Betty's odometer shows 31,000 miles since I went solo on Feb. 15th. And I will be sure to post my YTD earnings and paid mileage totals before I turn her in for re-assignment.

Swift suffered in Mr. Moyes' absence. The accounting department took over while the company was publicly traded and ran it off the bottom line. As we all know, when the bean counters and desk-pilots get into a situation in where they have no functional appreciation of how things work, things get ugly.

Swift is a trucking company created by a steel-hauling flatbedder. And to all of us in the flatbed division, those big white dry boxes are just slalom gates which we weave though to get to the tie-down shack.

And the Magus is about to re-occupy his castle.

This is a very exciting time to be a Swifty. Whether door slammer or flat rat. And, as I will show, an even more exciting time to become a lease op.

"Poverty of Imagination is not a Strength"

Old 05-06-2007, 05:06 PM

Food for thought:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arthling+vegan

I'm not an activist, nor am I a vegan/vegetarian. However, I stumbled across this video and it did its job; it made me think.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:10 PM
Default Bertha

And now for the fun part:

http://www.pbase.com/ckapp/bertha

There's a slideshow button in the upper right corner. Also, you can click on any image in the gallery to view in full size.

The paperwork isn't done yet, but that will happen tomorrow.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Senior Board Member

nice looking truck. Looking forward to hearing about your success with it.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:22 PM

And here is how I am going to succeed where others who have come before me have failed.

The best way to buy a tractor is to walk into a dealer of your choosing and pay in cash. The next best way to buy a tractor is to pull a home equity loan and pay cash for the tractor. Reason being that home equity loans have better interest rates due to less perceived and/or actual risk to the lender. You get to write off the interest and depreciate the tractor. Then comes either bank or captive (from the manufacturer) financing.

Leasing has the benefit of being able to write off the entire amount of the lease payment, but you have no equity in the vehicle at the term of the lease. And, depending upon how the lease is written, you may or may not have the benefit of depreciating the vehicle during the lease period.

Typically, a lease carries a lower payment because you are only financing the depreciable amount of the vehicle, given the length of the lease, plus the interest on the note. A purchase, on the other hand, is for the entire amount of the purchase price, plus interest. A purchase usually requires a sizable down payment, while a lease (with a lesser amount financed) typically requires a small lease inception payment.

My leasing of the 2006 KW W900L from Interstate Equipment Leasing (Swift) will carry a fixed daily cost of about $100.00, plus variable costs which includes fuel. Bertha has a hefty entertainment bill, but I know I can keep her amused. While I didn’t know it at the time, I ran like an O/O minus a few skills which I will elaborate on in short order.

While in Arrow’s orientation class, I used the lease/purchase segment to catch up on a nap. Reason being, they spoke only about the lease itself, not the mechanics behind the successful operation of the business. It was a sales call and little else. And without, at the very least, a brief introduction into the management aspect of running O/O, the scenario is suicide, on all levels. Trial by fire? Sure; it might work. But it depends on the individual. Still, it is not the way to go for the new O/O. Too much to loose, and failure comes quick and hard.

Swift’s O/O class is one day and it could easily be three. But the quality of information coupled to the O/O services furnished by Swift and this outfit:
http://attrucktax.com/
gives the prospective O/O a better than fighting chance of success. Remember; I am looking at a 20%-30% increase in overall income and a huge combined write-off.

The first major challenge in making the transition from company driver to owner/operator is the paradigm shift from being cared for by the company to caring for your business. The boards run rife with people who are looking to be taken care of. This isn’t a bad thing, in and of itself. Quite the contrary. It is a naturally occurring behavior and it comes from our infancy. We come into the world fully dependent on our mothers for food and love. An infant will do anything it can to appeal to its mother in the interest of self-survival. It is hard-wired into our genetics and cannot be changed until later on in one’s life, if ever. The pitfalls of dependency on outside entities of any kind are that there are bound to be significant disappointments. (If you use your imagination, it will spare me the task of further elucidation).

Of itself, trucking is an unusual job. A driver must use his or her own sense of cunning in order to be efficient and successful. We are out there, virtually unsupervised and left to our own devices to get each trip done.We are entrusted with several hundred thousand dollars worth of equipment and freight and then expected to do the “right things” with all of it. Rarely is there anyone present to hold our hands as we learn to manage it all. Reality smacks hard to the less-than-prepared. I felt it on many occasions while at Watkins Shepard, and felt a different kind of smack with Arrow.

I took all of what I learned with my two past employers and synthesized a picture of efficiency for my position with Swift. My initiation, if you will, was immensely challenging to my intellect, my emotions and my inherent good sense of diplomacy. By the time I hit orientation at Swift, I had committed my self to learning how to become the best company driver I possibly could, which I did. And little did I know, my determination raised a promising candidate for the position of O/O.

I am a sincere Individualist. I have owned and operated several small businesses spanning through my time as an automotive technician, furniture designer/builder, massage therapist, car salesperson, photographer and now, trucker (both van and flat).

What was lacking in all of my past business lives was a game plan. I just figured I could do it all on my own and experience has taught me otherwise. I cannot do it all on my own, and I know this now. And in seeing all that is necessary regarding record keeping and financial planning, I don’t think that anyone else can handle it all on their own, either. In the interest of seeing others succeed, I write all this junk to help, not hinder. My greatest joys will come from enlightening others to the possibilities of O/O as I create my own success story.

The bookkeeping is best left to someone who knows the trucking business. A budget based on fixed and variable costs is required in order to know how to run your truck. You can’t just wing it; you can’t! The reason for my smiles and sighs during my class was simple. Most everything thing they spoke of regarding all the various tax considerations (fuel, road, mileage, income, etc.) had already been projected by my accountant. And while the accounting/consulting firm mentioned above is a wise way to go, my Angie is a rock star, and I will stick with her for now.

When a new O/O begins to appreciate the applicable strategies of time management, fuel purchasing management, fuel consumption management and all the other efficiency considerations, there is nothing left for spreadsheets, estimated quarterlies and sifting through wadded up little receipts stashed in a Wal Mart bag. To do so would be inefficacious. And to not do it, or to not have it done, again, is suicide.

The first place to begin is to look at your cost of living away from the truck. With your accountant, you need to get a picture of what, exactly, is required to run your household bills, car payments, insurance, food, etc. With that understood, you then know what you need to make to cover your and your family’s living expenses.

Next: In order to decide what truck financing option is best for your particular needs, your accountant can look at your current state of financial well or not-so-well being and make suggestions based on pragmatic thinking. Like most of us, the lease will work where other means won’t based on limited assets. So? Look at what aspect of the industry you are drawn towards, then look at the leases that these companies offer. THEN, have your accountant run income projections based on the hard facts of each lease. Included in these projections will be your earnest assessment of how you run. I have recorded all of my trips and mileage, so I was able to furnish real-world performance figures to Angie for her projections.

This second step in the determination of your anticipated success or in making the decision to hold off is critical. In my other businesses, it wasn’t so necessary for the reason of the simplicity of my businesses. Not so with trucking. The Feds are up your ass, as are the state and local governments. And not only are they on you for income taxes, they are on you for road use, mileage in their respective states, and not only the fuel you buy, but the fuel you burn. Are you getting the picture? Who needs and accountant? I’ll give you two guesses…. And who fails at becoming an O/O? Hmmm…..

This is a very complicated way to earn a living. Being a company driver will earn you a nice paycheck without the mind-f#ck. Turn the key and go. Simple, right? Yup. Like I said before, with the way I run freight for Swift and, given the work load my DM’s hand me, I’m in line for fifty grand per year and no hassles. It’s too easy for my ADHD noodle.

I need more challenge and it needs to be an ongoing event. Flatbed securement feeds a good part of the monkey, but it isn’t enough. I need more, and I will get my fix as I learn fuel purchasing strategies, running strategies, load selection strategies and road/fuel taxation minimization.

And, sad as it may seem, I will learn and employ fuel conservation techniques, despite my Bertha’s 68 mph top end speed.

One myth I will bust right here before I head outside to enjoy the day: Fuel price is irrelevant to margin of profit. As fuel prices continue to rise, so will my margins. Anyone who cries at the pump does not have a grip on fuel consumption and fuel surcharges paid to the driver. While many of the drivers I have met who are not O/O claim that this is the worst time to go O/O, I have factual information which speaks to the contrary.

It’s absolutely beautiful this afternoon in Scottsdale, AZ. I bought a used bicycle off of Craig’s List yesterday for $50.00. Someone is getting busted on the second floor of my hotel for a felony warrant by the local police, the front desk girl wants to go for a spin in my tractor, and I want to go for a spin on my new (used) Schwinn CrissCross.

This post is one of several intended to inform my audience of the why’s and why not’s of becoming an owner/op. And also, to furnish a means to establish the facts as to whether or not one is ready to rise to the task. If nothing else, this rant is inended to stimulate thought based on facts, not fiction. Hope it helps.......

Old 05-06-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
nice looking truck. Looking forward to hearing about your success with it.
Yeah DD!

Thanks! She's a hottie alright. Getting out of Betty might help with what I call the "Swift Factor" while out on the road. As you might imagine, Swifty's get the "treatment" from other truckers on the highways.

There's quite a learning curve coming, but I think I am up to it. Thanks for your best wishes.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Clint,

Good read!! Funny thing...you mention the fuel prices and surcharges. A friend of mine has been an O/O for the past 15+ years and he was explaining to me one day the exact same thing you did in your post. He actually LOVES the high fuel prices because his margin increases as well. So much so, that last year when the prices were climbing, and when all was said and done, he actually got paid almost 3 cents for every gallon he burned!!

Oh, and like you mentioned, he also has repeatedly said that IF I should ever decide to go the O/O route, I had better have a good CPA that understands the industry set up before hand
Old 05-07-2007, 12:48 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Anyone who cries at the pump does not have a grip on fuel consumption and fuel surcharges paid to the driver. While many of the drivers I have met who are not O/O claim that this is the worst time to go O/O, I have factual information which speaks to the contrary.
You do not know how true that really is. For someone who has been an O/O still remembers the lower Price of Fuel and worries about it raising more and more, where some one who is Just getting into it with an Open mind, open eyes and smarts in business will remain flexible and work with the increases as they come..

Everytime I started a new phase in Life, the Fuel price always just went up. I start to drive, Gas prices went from 25 Cents per gallon to 50 -75 cent per gallon. Then later went on to 1.00 a gallon. It was said then what being said now, and we still living. Driving even more and more cars on the road.

Good Luck and stay Safe. Be looking forward to more of your tails of the Road.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Thanks! She's a hottie alright.
Yep...I knew "she" was a she.

Great pics Clint...I especially liked the first one you posted....good job of portraying the image the long hoods portray. Could have been right out of a KW brochure.

And your missive....a good read with some well thought out points. Thanks for sharing and good luck.
I'd like to hear your thoughts on how the ride, turning, comfort, etc is on the K-dub compared to the 'Vo.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomon
Quote:
Thanks! She's a hottie alright.
Yep...I knew "she" was a she.

Great pics Clint...I especially liked the first one you posted....good job of portraying the image the long hoods portray. Could have been right out of a KW brochure.

And your missive....a good read with some well thought out points. Thanks for sharing and good luck.
I'd like to hear your thoughts on how the ride, turning, comfort, etc is on the K-dub compared to the 'Vo.
I'm a short person, Geo. At a whopping 5'6", many have commented that I am too small to be a flatbedder. My typical response is "It's the little ones you have to watch out for". :twisted:

One thing is for certain. The nose obscures vision to the front and sides of the tractor. I moved it around in the parking lot during her fashion shoot, and I'll tell ya..... it's gonna take some getting used to. I guess I'll get a pair of those illuminated "sissy sticks" for the front bumper if it gets to be too hard to manage. If I raise the seat though, it does become less of an issue.

While at the KW dealer on Saturday, I asked the parts man if he knew of anyone who swapped out the W9 hood for a T-800 hood. Vision issue aside, the enhanced aerodynamics of the T-8 nose would make a nice contribution to the bottom line of my business over time. It's nothing that I am in a mad hurry to do, but it did occur to me to look in to it.

Thanks for your compliments on the photos! If you couldn't tell from the images, I was having a lot of fun shooting them.

Skin and stacks aside, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the W9, T-6 and T-8. So I'm thinking that the Dub9 will be a bit louder than the BoBo and a bit lighter. The sleeper in Bertha is a 72" as opposed to the 60" sleeper on Betty. And the additional roominess is most welcomed.

You'll like this one, Geo. As you know, we both have a passion for cycling and higher-end rides. My last quiver of bikes included a full XTR Stumpjumper M-2 with a Sid and Spinergy's, a full XTR Bad Boy modded out to the hilt and an Eddie Merckx Corsa bedeckled with Dura Ace and Speedplay's.

Me and my cheap used Schwinn (with presta valves!) hit the road yesterday for a nice, gentle 30 mile spin. And ya know what? It's just as fun as it was back then. It was so much fun to go out and sweat. And I am sure this thing weighs in around 25 lb or so. Didn't matter. And it fits up on the headache rack, like, no pro-blemo.....

So yes.... All I have in my mind is a progression in levels of profitability. I don't imagine it will all come at once. But these days, more so than ever, being an O/O is a thinking man's (person's) game.

There is a lot more to say, but that too will come in time. Right now, I just need to concentrate on getting the tractor set up and habitable. If I can strike a good deal on a used headache rack at the bodyshop, then that will be the way I will go to start out with. If not, then Inland Kenworth has shiny new Merrits with chain racks for about a grand. I already bought the top splitter kit (hehehe) :P And they give us O/O's a nice discount on parts!

More coming.....