User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2007, 11:27 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Car Haulers

Been hauling general freight for over a year and am learning the car hauling biz as I type. Saw several of you that are car haulers so I joined and thought you could help.

I've read all the press about the Chapter 11 Bk but Blue Thunder is willing to pay me nicely for four weeks of car hauling training...if thier checks clear. Just finished week 1 in Jacksonville, FL and lots of good and of course some bad, definitely better than home town Denver, CO this time of year!

I've also been fully tested and approved by United Road, they seem to be in better financial shape.

I hope to get on with Cassens someday, I've applied but don't expect to hear from them for quite some time. Cassens recently reduced their minimum requirements to one year otr and claims 97 cpm loaded and 77 cpm empty, sounds too good to be true.

Any help, tips and suggestions regarding car hauling greatly appreciated! Feel free to post, pm, email at [email protected] or call 303-470-5656.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:32 AM

I have a friend who is also interested, as am I, in the car hauling arena. I too would be interested in hearing from car haulers out there. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Parking lots have always paid some of the best money in the industry. Talk about danger and hard on the body! For you guys that don't like the idea of a flat, stay away from the parking lot. You really earn your money!!
Old 02-25-2007, 04:27 AM
Rookie

I hauled cars for 9 years, and I have to admit, the money was outstanding. What wasn't fun was getting my front teeth knocked out with a tie-down bar, 8 trips to the chiropractor in 7 days to get everything put back in place after slipping and falling off of the top, the cracked ribs, the broken ankle, and the numerous cuts and bruises. You will wonder why you ever got into it when you have to load on ice-covered decks, or when its raining and you are under the car, trying to hang chain and getting a face full of rusty, greasy water. Believe me when I tell you, it is a job you really have to want to do. You will either love it, or hate it. There is no "happy-medium". Don't get me wrong, I loved carhauling. I'll probably get back into it. (The old-timers say that once you start, you can't stay away from it.) I just got burned-out, and had to get away from it for a bit. If you decide to try it, give yourself 30 days, you will know where you stand with it by then. If you love it, you probably won't do anything else. If you hate it, get away from it and stay away, because it will hurt you, and it will get expensive. Damage claims from negligence are damned expensive.

I wish you the best.

Randy
Old 02-25-2007, 03:23 PM
Board Regular

Thanks for the info Randy!! I always thought car haulers were crazy to deal with the problems associated with the nature of the work. That's why I pull a dry van, no Hazmat. I could care less what's back there.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:19 PM
Rookie

You don't have to be crazy to want to be a car hauler...

But it certainly helps... :lol:

Randy
Old 02-26-2007, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy569
I hauled cars for 9 years, and I have to admit, the money was outstanding. What wasn't fun was getting my front teeth knocked out with a tie-down bar, 8 trips to the chiropractor in 7 days to get everything put back in place after slipping and falling off of the top, the cracked ribs, the broken ankle, and the numerous cuts and bruises. You will wonder why you ever got into it when you have to load on ice-covered decks, or when its raining and you are under the car, trying to hang chain and getting a face full of rusty, greasy water. Believe me when I tell you, it is a job you really have to want to do. You will either love it, or hate it. There is no "happy-medium". Don't get me wrong, I loved carhauling. I'll probably get back into it. (The old-timers say that once you start, you can't stay away from it.) I just got burned-out, and had to get away from it for a bit. If you decide to try it, give yourself 30 days, you will know where you stand with it by then. If you love it, you probably won't do anything else. If you hate it, get away from it and stay away, because it will hurt you, and it will get expensive. Damage claims from negligence are damned expensive.

I wish you the best.

Randy
100% agree My face has been hit one to many times with the damn bar when the ratchet didn't lock. Have fallen off of the top deck, bottom deck. Helps if your skinny as well. For those of you who have hualed cars, know what I'm talking about. I ran a 9 car stinger, and a 7 car locally for 1.5 years. Miss the truck, the hours( WAS PAID HOURLY :lol: :lol: :lol: )

pic of the 9 car. Drove the 7 most of the time.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Being skinny helps when you do enclosed car hauling. I've had to climb out the back hatch of a '88 full-size Jimmy one time in my moving van :shock:

:lol: :lol:
Old 02-26-2007, 05:04 AM

the job deff makes you re think that third twinky for breakfast lol. Jimmy in an enlosed. Haven't done it, but know it would be tight. You must have climbed out the back window on that one.

you can tell i'm tired... just re-read your post. ops:

Old 02-26-2007, 05:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by serbie
Jimmy in an enlosed. Haven't done it, but know it would be tight. You must have climbed out the back window on that one.
Like I said- I've had to climb out the back hatch of a '88 full-size Jimmy one time in my moving van :shock: :lol:

The fun stuff are Harley Davidson motorcycles w/ anal retentive owners 8) "Break my wifes china cabinet, lose her wedding dress, break my plasma TV...but don't FUCK with my Harley" (customer of mine)