User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2007, 01:09 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Job Offered CFI or TMC

if you had to choose which company would go with I was called by CFI and TMC late today and now I have to make a choice. I have read extensively about both companies and I really do like them both.

I know TMC is a flatbed company and that it is hard work when your on a flatbed, but the pay seems a little better, CFI has decent pay also and seems to have great benefits as does TMC, I don't need much home time and I want to run out in the open and make as much money as possible, but I do want to be happy and comfort has to be in there as well, I'm a hard worker and don't mind it at all, (I'm a former U.S. Marine Grunt) so can you all help or should I just flip a coin. As I Said their both top notch companies to work for. I plan on staying with, which ever one I choose, for many, many years.

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-22-2007, 01:48 AM
Rookie

Can't respond anything about CFI, cause just don't know anything about them in peticular...

But we are as content with TMC as well as anyone can really be with an employer.. great equipment, good pay, good benefits...

If you have good work habits and good morals you will like TMC...

Besides askn here you can get good answers form Matt - TMC is his name on here.. He is an TMC recruiter..
or talk to Flatbed Fred..
Old 02-22-2007, 12:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Ah, I'd just flip the coin and if you don't like the results go 2 outta 3...

Seriously though, from what I've seen and heard both appear to be about as good a company as their is out there. The biggest factor in your decision is do you want to run flatbed or van? Decide on that and the company will come with that decision. Bottom line is you're the only person who can make this decision.

I'm not an authority on this at all, but from the drivers I've talked to their biggest beef with CFI is that they just don't get them home enough. They still made really good money and had great equipment, bennies, etc... They just realized that they wanted to be home more often. Truthfully, that's about the only negative I've ever heard about them, but it sounds like that wouldn't be much of a negative for you.

Good luck!
Old 02-23-2007, 12:41 AM
Rookie

I'm looking at the same 2 companies also. TMC was getting close to be my choice, but I came across this website that has givin me second thoughts. I have only talked to 1 TMC driver so far and he is very happy working for them. I have'nt come across this site until after I spoke to him. I not weeding out TMC as of yet. There are good things said about them on the site also. I'm still researching so to speak. Here is the link that I had mentioned.
http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tru...moines-ia.html
Old 02-23-2007, 04:37 AM
Rookie
Default I can tell you about CFI

I worked for CFI for over a year, so I know them pretty well. I'll give you the good and the bad. The good is their runs! They do mostly Canada to Laredo and back. They go all over, but you'll wind up in Laredo about once a week. You'll get some great miles there, I averaged well over 3000 a week there. The trucks are pretty nice too. They have ATM's at some terminals which makes cash advances a breeze.
Now for the bad. The pay per mile is lousy. Most of the bigger companies are paying .40 to .45 cpm+ and they're still in the low .30's. They really push you hard. Every single load has to be there as soon as legally possible, period. Even if the place is closed until 9AM (which everything in Laredo is) you'll have to get there by midnite, if you can legally, and if you try to tell them different, they just remind you of company policy like a bunch of robots. The health insurance is garbage.
My recommendation these days is Heartland Express, but you'll need a year experience, verifiable.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:18 AM
Senior Board Member

I think your first decision is this: Flatbed or Van. There are significant differences in them. SO you have to decide which you want to do.

Nowadays, don't expect much Canada freight from CFI. I drove for them for over 7 years, up until last October, and only made it to Canada twice in the last year. Didn't go to Laredo all that much for the last couple of years either. But that was ok by me.

Health insurance...not the best, and probably not the worst. We had some very large claims, they paid....so not much to complain about there.

Mileage pay is in the 30's.... a neophyte driver reaches 35cpm at 120,000 miles, and keep in mind that the miles are paid as practical miles, not HHG short miles. The 12 NE states command a 5cpm premium, and CFI also pays an additional 3cpm on placarded hazmat loads. Practical miles will net you 7 to 15% more pay than HHG miles.

But in the long run.....what it boils down to is this: Do you want to "bump a dock" or "throw tarps"? Both CFI and TMC are excellent companies, so its really a matter of what kind of freight you want to deal with 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Rookie

Hello Skywalker, I've been reading your posts for some time now and enjoy the frankness of them, I appreciate your wisdom and experience. as a first year recruit what can i expect to earn on a bi-weekly bias with CFI and do you know if there kind enough to get me home for medical appointments.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVENDOG
Hello Skywalker, I've been reading your posts for some time now and enjoy the frankness of them, I appreciate your wisdom and experience. as a first year recruit what can i expect to earn on a bi-weekly bias with CFI and do you know if there kind enough to get me home for medical appointments.
I'll say first year 32-34K, Second year 37-40K..... but they will be with not taking excessive time off. I prefer to view things in the longer scheme, because you will be taking time off, and that will skew bi-weekly amounts.

They make every effort to get you home for medical appointments, but remember....like anyone, the more advance notice they have, the better it works out.

Happy to be of service.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:26 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Job Offered CFI or TMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVENDOG
if you had to choose which company would go with I was called by CFI and TMC late today and now I have to make a choice. I have read extensively about both companies and I really do like them both.

I know TMC is a flatbed company and that it is hard work when your on a flatbed, but the pay seems a little better, CFI has decent pay also and seems to have great benefits as does TMC, I don't need much home time and I want to run out in the open and make as much money as possible, but I do want to be happy and comfort has to be in there as well, I'm a hard worker and don't mind it at all, (I'm a former U.S. Marine Grunt) so can you all help or should I just flip a coin. As I Said their both top notch companies to work for. I plan on staying with, which ever one I choose, for many, many years.

Your help is greatly appreciated!
There are a LOT of ex-military guys here at TMC including the owner. If you have any questions about TMC, feel free to call me anytime and I'll do my best to answer them. I drive for them and enjoy helping new guys out by talking shop over the phone.
Good luck whomever you choose!
Old 02-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Board Regular

I have been very happy at CFI and I drive a team with my dad. CFI smooths out a lot of the typical delays that a usual driver can face. Most loads are drop n hook with few lumpers to pay. The last live unload I had, the lumper was PRE-PAID, I was VERY surprised. Most our loads are under 40k pounds so you don't need to scale very often. Little things make a big difference like that. I keep moving from coast to coast and my checks are big enough to live on. My wife and I are buying another investment property this month, that will give us 3 houses being rented out and the equity and tax savings are ours.