LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2007, 02:41 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Safety first companies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown67
Usually as you get older you just start working more safe.
I started working safely at 22, and still do. I know older guys that push too hard and biff it. It depends on the individual.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:19 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by feederfred
Brown67: Are you on feeder yet ? They don't push us at all. If they do we just tell them to basically get bent (in the "UPS" way) and just do it the way the bid is run. All else fails, run your bid safely and grieve it. The only time I may push it a little is Christmas to get the air stuff to the hubs....I'm too old to run hard. Remember the UPS motto: "We can't be fired-slaves have to be sold"....
Not in feeders yet. Waiting on two drivers to retire. Both have 31 years and want to wait until the next contract is settled. We had a vacation slot open up, but If I took it I would fill in at our center and all over my Local. Local 17 is all of Wyoming and Colorado except for Denver Metro area. I don't want to travel that much.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:26 AM
Board Regular

My company, PSC (Philip Reclamation Services Houston, Inc) is pretty damn good.

I called my transportation manager once and told him I was at a rest stop and needed a nap because I was getting the nods (infant son and I had a bad night)- he said take a couple of hours and he'd have the customer service rep call the customer. No problem.

I've had the boss call me and tell me to turn around because there was a chance of ice in north Texas. No problem.

I've refused partial and full loads because the packaging was suspect. No problem.

I've left a site -and pissed off any number of people there- because they were absolute idiots about the hazards of the Allyl Alcohol they were supposed to offload from a railcar into my tanker. No problem.

I've called my dispatcher and shut down in Hunstville because I was out of hours and didn't feel like driving the last hour and a half into Houston, thus causing me to miss my next day's run. No problem.

I've recommended replacing all eight of the tires on a tanker instead of fixing the one flat tire. No problem.

I've pulled over in Houston rainstorms and been late for appointments. No problem.

I've refused to pull numerous trailers because of defects- a little aggravation, but no problem.

-p.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:21 PM
Board Regular

well, I can say Maverick is definately safety concious because they have invested millions into something I have never heard of from any other company, lane departure system. It's not like eaton vorad, although we have those in our trucks also. Lane departure watches the lines on the highway and if you start to go over those lines, it has a seperate speaker system that kinda growls through those speakers on the side you are going too far over. It is also nullified by blinker usage for about 20 seconds, so it has multiple positive effects, one, it will wake your butt up if you doze off, and it will remind you that you didnt use a blinker. Its annoying at first, but it will tend to make you a better driver because you want to stay between the mustard and mayonaise.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedb28
well, I can say Maverick is definately safety concious because they have invested millions into something I have never heard of from any other company, lane departure system. It's not like eaton vorad, although we have those in our trucks also. Lane departure watches the lines on the highway and if you start to go over those lines, it has a seperate speaker system that kinda growls through those speakers on the side you are going too far over. It is also nullified by blinker usage for about 20 seconds, so it has multiple positive effects, one, it will wake your butt up if you doze off, and it will remind you that you didnt use a blinker. Its annoying at first, but it will tend to make you a better driver because you want to stay between the mustard and mayonaise.
Inspection Selection System (ISS-2) Recommendation*
(As of January 26, 2007)
Carrier Name: MAVERICK TRANSPORTATION LLC
US DOT #: 178538 MC #: 150231
ISS Inspection Value: 72
ISS Recommendation: OPTIONAL
Basis for Recommendation: Safety

My guess is they must have been having too many accidents. That pushed the score up. That is why they are going to the Lane Departure system.

But they seem to have good equipment.

Only other problem I see is they has their broker authority revoked in June 1990 and April 2006. They got it back in November 2006.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:57 AM
Board Icon

I think you would find that safety goes hand in hand with turnover rate. The lower the turnover rate, the safer the company. After all, if a company cares about their drivers enough to warrant a low turnover rate, it is likely they also care about their drivers' safety.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:51 PM
Board Regular

Safety and Turn-over are individual stats that I believe are unrelated. Safety starts with the driver, not company policy. Policies are BS any way. Plenty of drivers leave great companies. Trucking has too many people making crazy, impulse descisions to be able to define reliable if-then stats.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:24 AM
Board Regular

CRST has a low score so assume they keep the equipment well maintained ?
Old 03-02-2007, 01:28 AM
Board Regular

A low score of what? Maintenance is something a responsible company does. Because CFI trucks are rotated for new trucks, most of the work is under warranty so they are very willing to get done what needs done. Regular servicing is done in order to comply with the warranty or else it will be voided.

Companies who own older trucks try to get work done at company terminals whenever possible in order to keep costs down. That means that when things need done, it may have to wait until you get there.

I've travelled cross the country with trucks burning oil due to heads needing replaced along with blown turbos. Companies can be unwilling to pay maintenance costs even after the work is done. They could care less about your inconveniences or lack of productivity.

So a company that has new trucks every so often is a company that will take care of them which keeps you rolling and helps to simplify your life.

Without a warranty, companies can be unwilling to do the proper maintenance, prefering to run them until they quit rolling, thinking they are reducing expenses while increasing their own maintenance bill and costing the driver time and personal cash.

Thats when a driver gets online or picks up a trucker mag and looks for another company.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:33 AM
Senior Board Member

The company I work for doesn't own any trucks and really doesn't have any drivers employed either.. LOL The drivers and most employees are employed by one company who leases the drivers to the parent company. All but a hand full of the trucks are leased and not owned by the company. The lease company maintains the trucks. The paremt company does own and maintain all the trailers though.