User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Information on Cypress

Here is some information about Cypress Truck Lines. The information gives it a 4.8. I will have to disagree, I have worked for Cypress for about 5 years. I rarely get home on a Friday night and I usually have to leave on Sunday. When I have asked to get home on Friday by 4 or 5pm I am told home on weekend is by midnight on Friday. In six months I have been home maybe 3x on a Friday before 11pm at nite, I almost always have to leave by Sunday night. They DO NOT care about family or the drivers. The positive side of them is benefits are good, pay is ok (.40 a mile after 5 years haven't had a raise in a year, did ask) Most of the time you get good miles, they do not pay you what you drive, they pay you what they say the miles are. For example if it is 1450 according to the map and or mapquest, they are ususally 100-200 miles short and they don't care if you tell them. Tuff!! If you are stuck, you get 10.00 an hour. I have been stuck for 10 hours and they elected to pay me for only 5. This is normal. They have new trucks, but only certain drivers get them. There older ones work pretty good. If your main goal (which mine was) to be home on weekends DO Not choose Cypress. If you want respect DO NOT choose Cypress. I have a family so changing jobs is scarey, so here I sit.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:49 AM
Board Regular

Sorry to hear that, when i spoke with the recruiter, she continued to reiterate the fact that their home weekend guarantee consisted of 48 solid hours at home, then you go back out, obviously Mrs.Recruiter wasn't telling the truth.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:42 AM
Senior Board Member

db,

This is just my opinion, but why would you sit with Cypress for 40 cpm and crappy hometime if you have 5 years experience? I know that your a family man, as am I, and that can make things a little scary, but with your experience and as long as your record is clean you are as "in demand" as anyone out there, brother. I know that Maverick or TMC or Boyd is going to pay you better than that since most of their drivers are making that within the first year. Depending upon where you live they would all most likely give you better hometime also. I know for me it was a rarity if I got home later than 6 PM on Friday with Maverick. I usually did leave out Sunday evening, but sometimes this was just my preference to get a jump on the week. I could have left on Monday morning on several occasions. Again, just my opinion, but I would think you have many other options.

The 48 hours had to be just smoke from the recruiter. Most honest companies will tell you that they will get you "through the house" or at best get you home for your restart on weekends, but I've never had any "promise" me 48 hours at home on the weekend.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Rookie

Just to let you know, 48 hours guarantee home time. That is a lot of BS. That is all I am going to say!!

I thank you for the words of encouragement. I am looking into other companies, just being careful. I live in southwest Georgia, I have a good driving record and I just have to be sure, when you are the only income, you are careful. I don't plan on being with Cypress 6 years. I also am 50 years old, which can be a problem for some companies. I am good at tarping, my tarps don't flap and I have been told by other drivers and DOT that my tarps are very professional looking.

Can you give me any more info on Maverick, Boyd or TMC. Do they have problems with older drivers etc.

Thanks again
Old 02-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Board Regular

Can i ask a question, kind of off topic, why are some of the trucks at cypress nice, but the majority of them are in such rough shape, there's no real brand of choice over there, it seems any truck they can get their hands on and slap a name on the side of, they'll run it up and down the road. They just don't look too comfortable.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:04 PM
Rookie

They guy that owns Cypress brought out Ploof. He used there trucks and they are now replacing trucks and trailers with new ones. The new trucks 2007, with all the bells and whistles. I guess it just takes time. They might look bad, but to be honest, they did run pretty good.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:14 PM
Senior Board Member

I know that GA would be a great area for Maverick and most likely Boyd. I would guess that TMC would be the same way. Of course the downside, IMO, would be that you would haul more lumber and drywall, etc. than steel. That may be a plus for you, but my preference was always steel. Regardless, I'm sure you get your fair share of building products with Cypress as well.

The 50 year old thing would not be an issue at all with Maverick as long as you could pass the physical (which is no problem, don't believe everything you read and hear). In my orientation class, they hired 8 guys and 4 of them were over 50 and you'll meet several with them that are in that age range. My guess is that Boyd would be the same way considering the number of drivers that have been with them for 10 years or more. From what I have found they have more Million+ safe drivers than any flatbed company out there. According to their brochure, you would start at 43 cpm plus a 2 cpm safety & fuel bonus, $18 tarp pay and a $2500 Sign-On bonus.

Maverick would start you at a similar pay scale (42-43 cpm), 1-4 cpm fuel bonus and $10-20 tarp pay depending upon if you throw a steel or lumber tarp. They also have several other bonuses such as recruiting, safety and inspection programs. I can also tell you that the 1 cpm fuel bonus is a given and the 2 cpm bonus is fairly easily obtainable with their equipment.

Personally, I'd give all 3 of them a call and see who offers the best fit. I'm sure with 5 years flatbed experience and a good driving record they will all love you and they really won't care that you're 50 years old as long as your reasonably healthy. I will also tell you that the recruiters at Maverick will give it to you "straight up". They won't sugar coat it for you and my experience was that I was never lied to. They are paid by the hour not by commission and the people at Maverick will want to know if they misled you in any way.

I understand your concern being the sole bread winner, but I don't believe that you'll have much to worry about.

Good luck!
Old 03-13-2007, 02:10 AM
Rookie
Default Cypress - Terminal to Terminal?

A recruiter from Cypress spoke to our CDL class last week and did not mention a guaranteed 48 hour weekend provision, but did promise "home every weekend."

He also described most of the work as "terminal to terminal" while "city drivers" (those who live close to a terminal) take it from terminal to customer. Sounds like almost all of the OTR drivers can just "drop and hook," and described something after a period where a driver can agree to "Southeast regional dispatch."

I'm in North central Florida near Ocala. So I suppose SE region means I could find myself home a little during the week too, right? Or is that unrealistic?

And are there other companies close to Ocala that offer Florida and Southeast regional stuff?

Thanks.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:18 PM
Rookie

You need to understand, home every weekend is at times meaning you will get home on Saturday morning and out out 34 later, because you don't have a choice to get your load where you need to be on time. Don't count on being home at 5pm on Friday and leaving on Monday. Home Weekend to them is 34 hours home. Don't make weekend plans with family. Just be sure you understand you will not have a whole weekend off most of the time!! I guess they have gotten better about lying, now they just imply it.
Maybe I misunderstood, but Cypress is a flatbed company you never ever drop and hook, you have to secure all loads which is work and that is 100% of the time I actually have tarp 10% of my loads. I have traveled most of the US. I am very rarely home during the week. Terminal to Terminal that also is something I don't get. 85% of my loads go to the customer. After reading your post, I took the time to double check my logs and that is not correct, in fact I am sitting waiting to be unloaded, at a customer and have been waiting several hours. I wish it was just terminal to terminal. If you live withing 200mi of the terminal you could be local driver, which gives you Florida, Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina. You may be home during the week. I hope this helps, sorry it so long, just have time to kill.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the replies and advice. I'll keep looking around. Yellow has a terminal right near me so I'll have a look at that company too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbctsc13
Maybe I misunderstood, but Cypress is a flatbed company you never ever drop and hook...
I'm just a newbie, so it's prob'ly me who doesn't understand. By "drop and hook," I think the recruiter was referring to just switching trailers in the yard at one of their terminals. I would expect to check and secure every load.

Quote:
I actually have tarp 10% of my loads.
That sounds better than I expected, actually! I'm sure tarping is a hassle, especially in bad weather.

Quote:
If you live withing 200mi of the terminal you could be local driver, which gives you Florida, Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina. You may be home during the week.
That's prob'ly what the recruiter was referring to then. He made a distinction between "city drivers" and "Southeast Regional Dispatch."

Again, thanks for the info.