User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2007, 03:15 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default shaffer trucking

I was wondering if this would be a good choice for a career? I'd like to hear from anyone who works for them or has worked for them. I'm trying to pick between Shaffer and Hiner transport.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:19 AM
Board Regular

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to pull reefer instead of van?

I do not nor have I ever worked for Shaffer, but they're Crete's temperature controlled division and I do work for them. I've spoken to several Shaffer drivers and they've all seemed very content. Before coming to Crete, I drove for Marten Transport and have no desire to ever pull reefer again. However, if I were going to pull reefer again, it would probably be for Shaffer. Sorry, but I've never heard anything about Hiner. Good luck!
Old 02-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Rookie
Default Re: shaffer trucking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner
I was wondering if this would be a good choice for a career? I'd like to hear from anyone who works for them or has worked for them. I'm trying to pick between Shaffer and Hiner transport.
Shaffer is a division of Crete and so they have a good reputation as well... the nice thing with Shaffer is that they have several more run options that might fit better with your location then Crete does. They have great home time and the pay is excellent .
Let me know what you need and I'll get you the information

Good Luck
Keep on Truckin...
Old 02-10-2007, 11:22 PM
Rookie
Default shaffer

Thanks for the info Bettyann. How are the truck's that Shaffer use? I'm trying to get on with the mid-west regional and how are they about hometime?Also where do I get my truck seviced and do they have jake brakes and do they have Cd players in them?
Old 02-11-2007, 03:28 AM
Rookie
Default Re: shaffer

Quote:
Thanks for the info Bettyann. How are the truck's that Shaffer use? I'm trying to get on with the mid-west regional and how are they about hometime?Also where do I get my truck seviced and do they have jake brakes and do they have Cd players in them?
Ok let me see if I can tackle each question...The trucks are your basic variety of Freightliner, Detroit Deisel 430 engine. No they don't come equipped with a CD player (at least not the older one I think the newer ones do..but don't hold me to that I would have to find out for sure) You would most likely be given a 2004 or Newer truck. Midwest regional is "great"! for home time. Hubby drove that for a bit till we realized that with lots of hometime comes no pay...and if you want the money then you stay out longer...again it depends on what is important to you. You can get your t ruck serviced at over 24 different facilities nationwide and if we don't have a shop near where your at then you take it TA or they come get it. Yes all our trucks have Jake brakes... Ok I think I have answered everything *smiling* if you have any more..???.send me an e-mail
[email protected]
Keep on Truckin...
Old 02-11-2007, 06:12 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyAnn
Quote:
Ok let me see if I can tackle each question...The trucks are your basic variety of Freightliner, Detroit Deisel 430 engine. No they don't come equipped with a CD player (at least not the older one I think the newer ones do..but don't hold me to that I would have to find out for sure) You would most likely be given a 2004 or Newer truck. Midwest regional is "great"! for home time. Hubby drove that for a bit till we realized that with lots of hometime comes no pay...and if you want the money then you stay out longer...again it depends on what is important to you. You can get your t ruck serviced at over 24 different facilities nationwide and if we don't have a shop near where your at then you take it TA or they come get it. Yes all our trucks have Jake brakes... Ok I think I have answered everything *smiling* if you have any more..???.send me an e-mail
[email protected]
Keep on Truckin...
I would not put too much stock in this so called " recruiters " posts. She got booted from other sites.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyAnn
Quote:
[email protected]
Keep on Truckin...
the trucks are freightliner condos with 460 detroit and 10 speed, they do have jake brakes, they have radios with cassttte players. they have double walk in sleepers with an upper fold down bunk, they have lots of storage room, they have otimized idle and a 5 minute idle shutdown, meaning you can not idle your truck constantly, you have to use opti idle if its hot or cold. they are traded every 500,000 miles with the new ones usually going to the senior drivers. you get one day off for every 6 days out, if you are s.e or n.e regional, you are guarenteed home every weekend. if you run east of I-35, you get home every other weekend, if you run national, you usually get home every 3 weeks. the trucks are serviced at your home terminal or any terminal that you are near if you have time to have it done. when you go home, you take the truck home with you unless you want to leave it at the terminal and have it serviced then.
hopefully yhis info will help you. p.s I am not a recruiter, I used to work there and I paid attention.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:00 PM
Senior Board Member

They are one of the better reefer outfits. 8)
Old 04-16-2007, 08:16 PM
Board Regular

I didn't want to start a new thread about this, so I'll just use this one and hopefully someone can help me out.

I put my application in with Shaffer today because they had an ad in my local newspaper looking for dedicated drivers near allentown, PA. I called them up and they told me I would be going from Allentown, PA to Brooklyn NY 5 days a week and it paid salary of 200.00 a day. I would also be home every afternoon and have the weekends off.

So are there any of you out there who can verify that shaffer does have these almost too good to be true dedicated runs. Or is there something that they may not be telling me? Any help would be great, thanks in advance.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:19 AM
Senior Board Member
Default My opinion, they suck...

Shaffer Trucking, National Fleet, Nov. 27, 2001 to May 20, 2003
-169,210 paid miles (*adjusted +8% for current practical routing mile rate would be 182,747 miles)
-9,533 miles/month average with 6.98 days off average (*10,296 with practical routing adjustment)

:dung:

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."