User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2007, 04:38 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Knight refer div. phoenix??

Does anyone have any info on Knight refer div. Phoenix?... They called me and want me to work for them. Kind of skeptical don't know if I like the idea of working for mega co.:moose:
Old 01-31-2007, 06:57 PM
Board Regular

Not too sure about the reef side of knight, but I think it's basically the same as the dry van side. Knight is like any other carrier, really, with the exception of non-force dispatch and pay raises every year,"as long as other carriers raise their pay first". They have standard bennies. I thought they were pretty low stress when I drove for them. They do have higher pay the most of the other megas, or at least they did before I left them in august of 06. I'm sure the reefer side has different pay structures for detension and loading and unloading, as your dealing with food warehouses all the time. But they do not pay for experience. You will make the same as someone just starting out. Their yearly bonus, If you get it, is in the form of a savings bond that you cannot use for 5 years.

Make sure you ask all the questions you can think of before you get hired on, as they do not volunteer any extra info when you talk to them, they'll just give you the standard recruiter speech.

They take real good care of their equipment. But go a little too long between B services in my opinion. However the phoenix shop is the worst knight has. either you have to fix it 2 or 3 times or it takes 7 to 8 hours, if not an entire day for an oil change.

Depending on your experience, if you hav a few years, I think you could do better. Just my opinion tho' Feel freem to PM me if you want.

Have a safe trip

Chris
Old 02-01-2007, 12:00 AM
Senior Board Member

When I was there the reefer division was just getting started. At that time they pretty much stayed west of the rockies. Also at least half of their loads, if not more, were dry.

That was a year ago, so I have no idea what they have gotten done to grow the reefer side since then.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:43 PM

I currently drive for Knight Reefer out of Idaho Falls, Id. They are so far a very good fix for me. It is true that the starting pay is a bit low but they do make up for it with the miles. Looking over my last 3 months paychecks my take home pay has been over a Grand a week.

I have only been to the Phoneix terminal one time and found it very uptight, must be that corporate attitude.
You will hear that we are a short to medium haul but that all depends on where you want to drive. I drive all states with the exception of the Northeast. My last 14 days out:

Seattle, Wa to Kennewick, Wa to pickup approx 200 miles
Kennewick, Wa to Montgomery, Al approx 2350 miles
Montgomery, Al to Smyrna, Tn pu approx 400 miles
Smyrna, Tn to Red Bluff, Ca approx 2550
Red Bluff, Ca to Stockton, ca to SLC, Ut approx 780
SLC, Ut to Sumner, Wa hometime Approx 870 miles

Total miles approx 7150 paid miles for the last 2 weeks.

I too was skeptical about working for a mega carrier but so far so good. If you want any more infor just leave me a message on here, I am home for another 2 days.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:07 PM

Thanks a lot guys for the the info. on Knight I got their pay breakdown yesterday...was not impressed. I started thinking about the long waits at the grocery warehouses and decided to go with Crete. Waiting to hear back from them now. The thought of working 70 plus hours living on the road like a gypsie and only making a grand does'nt sit well with me...Good luck to you all and God Bless....
Old 02-02-2007, 01:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Retired...Is Knight still parking at Gordon Trucking..or did they find their own home?
Old 02-02-2007, 04:15 AM

Orange If you are talking about the Phoneix yard I am not really sure, I believe it is our own yard with a few other companies able to use it. I was only there for one night, drop a trl and leave in the morning.

It is down on Buckeye road.