User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2007, 07:55 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Any possible local/dedicated for new and young drivers?

I'm in a tough situation, but just may have to bite the bullet. I'm hoping to find a company that can take a less experienced driver (me) and train and allow me to run regional/dedicated. I don't want to work any local jobs (call centers, food, etc...). The road is calling me. I just have a big responsibility at my church and would hate to have to step down, but I have to do what I have to do at the moment. I'm also 21, so that limits my options even more, lol. It didn't work out too well with the family company, since it's a tough year for them, so need to find work with a bigger company.

US Xpress is who I am looking at. They have an Oklahoma City Branch and I'm about an hour and a half away. They say I would be out 7-10 days and at home 2 days. If a local/dedicated/regional job were to open they said it'd be pretty easy to switch, but the chances of that happening are slim. Well, that's the leader now. I've got about 3 months OTR experience and access to a truck to drive and practice on. Never did too much backing, just a lot of driving helping the family member I was training with. Since I have the truck to practice with I could go to some truck stops and try my hand at quite a bit of backing, but I wouldn't mind the 3 week training of US Xpress.

Bah, the disadvantages of being 21 and unexperienced....
Old 01-31-2007, 02:43 PM
Board Regular

Go with U.S. Xpress. They have no problem putting you on a dedicated or regional account if thats what you want. Regional you have 1 day of for every week out.( They do not count the day you get home as hometime, so yes you will be home 2 days.) With the dedicated you will have more hometime and the hometime is more predictable.
I would recommend going out with one of their trainers to get more experience backing, but they will probably want you to go out with a trainer anyway because of your 3 months experience. Their trainers that I have spoke with here in Ohio are very good and the company has strict guidelines for them to follow when training a driver. Best of luck.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:21 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungZ.W.
Go with U.S. Xpress. They have no problem putting you on a dedicated or regional account if thats what you want. Regional you have 1 day of for every week out.( They do not count the day you get home as hometime, so yes you will be home 2 days.) With the dedicated you will have more hometime and the hometime is more predictable.
I would recommend going out with one of their trainers to get more experience backing, but they will probably want you to go out with a trainer anyway because of your 3 months experience. Their trainers that I have spoke with here in Ohio are very good and the company has strict guidelines for them to follow when training a driver. Best of luck.
Yeah, dedicated or would be ideal, but they have none of those routes available. I figure I will just drive and get some experience and pray and hope a dedicated run opens up that I could snatch.

Quick question:
When I come home to I take the truck back to Tulsa, OK where I live and park it for a day or would I have to take it back to Oklahoma City and drive home in my vehicle?
Old 01-31-2007, 05:05 PM
Board Regular

You can take your truck home with you. They have a take the truck home policy or you can leave it at the terminal if you want to, it doesn't really matter. It is best to take the tractor home with you if you can. Some of the drivers that take their trucks home use them as personal vehicles while some take them home so they don't waste their own gas.