User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2007, 06:26 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Stifled and Bamboozled

I'm still going by the name Sunset. Bladerunner is a different person with his own account and his own facts who shares this computer. CAD has been written multiple times to correct their error but no response as of yet. I hope a voice of truth such as Bladerunners is not going to be stifled because of a misunderstanding on CADs part. Stick around Millersod215. If I'm not stifled like Bladerunner, this may be the only forum where there IS honesty!

Is there any specific reference about an employer not being allowed to deduct damages? I'm having a hard time finding a statute that says that. I would be very interested if there was. I've tried to reference 49CFR. No luck there.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:32 AM

The thing about Covenant charging drivers the cost of their insurance seems completely wrong and I wish I didnt have to pay it. In Tennessee they seem to call it a deductible. In New York we call this FRAUD.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:39 AM

The questions new drivers considering this company should shoot out to the recruiter are: How much is it going to cost me when you send me out in the mountains of the west and and I find out I cant run without chains which you wont provide? How much am I going to have to pay to insure your truck? Can you put in writing that after my training I can run solo or are you going to refuse to let me off the truck with the person I am forced to run team with? I bet when you ask for all of this in writing the next thing you'll hear from the recruiter is a loud click of the phone as they run in panic of being found out!! Oh there is so much more.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Wow! My husband would have had to pay May Trucking $1,000.00. Insurance should cover that and as an employer they should have to cover it. I know if something happened with my business when I owned it, I would be responsible.

As far as the chains there is no way I would have my husband buy chains for a vehicle that was not ours.

I know both at May and Davis they did an inventory on the trucks. When they get the the trucks returned and something is missing they should then deduct it from the final check. But to expect someone to buy chains that will really be worthless to them is not right.

Thank you for posting this as I know that there are newbies that like to hear about the different companies. We did when we were first looking. The companies that we saw many different people complaining about we stayed away from.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 02-01-2007, 06:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset
The thing about Covenant charging drivers the cost of their insurance seems completely wrong and I wish I didnt have to pay it. In Tennessee they seem to call it a deductible. In New York we call this FRAUD.
Correct me if I'm wrong, from your last few posts it seems to me your company wants to make you pay the deductible for some kind of damage to your equipment which is your fault, is this right?
Old 02-01-2007, 06:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoutlaw

Correct me if I'm wrong, from your last few posts it seems to me your company wants to make you pay the deductible for some kind of damage to your equipment which is your fault, is this right?
As an employee you have no say on how much insurance, how much deductible or any say on who and how things are to be fixed. This is up to the owners. It is insurance that the employers are responsible for obtaining.

I could not imagine the cable company or the satellite company and every other company charging the drivers for the deductible on company issued trucks. The deductible is also a right off for the company.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 02-01-2007, 08:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Making drivers buy their own chains is BS!
Old 02-01-2007, 03:10 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon
Default Re: Stifled and Bamboozled

Quote:
I'm still going by the name Sunset. Bladerunner is a different person with his own account and his own facts who shares this computer. CAD has been written multiple times to correct their error but no response as of yet. I hope a voice of truth such as Bladerunners is not going to be stifled because of a misunderstanding on CADs part. Stick around Millersod215. If I'm not stifled like Bladerunner, this may be the only forum where there IS honesty!
Whether you are one person or two people or ninety-nine, doesn't concern me. Because of serious issues in the past on this board from multiple accounts on a single computer, we've told people in the past that they were allowed one account from one computer, excluding of course, connections like Wi-Fi and truckstop kiosks. We monitor IP's frequently and take the appropriate actions in order to have the board run as smoothly as possible.

I have discussed the issue with the forum admin. The rest is up to him.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Senior Board Member

It is true, I am an o/o. The rules for me may be different than the company driver side, but my log theory holds water.

I did drive as a company guy for about 3 days, but I won't get into that. :lol:

How many compnay drivers have late/incorrect log policies which fine the driver? It might be apples and oranges, but, nonetheless, a fine is being passed through to the driver for negligence, no?

And whoever is dumb enough to post with 2 names from the same IP belongs on Mind of Mencia
Old 02-01-2007, 04:58 PM

Yes, the damage was my fault. So the company works like this. They charge you 500 dollars, then tell you they have no obligation to repair the truck. They told me they could just pocket the money if they wished and the so called "deductible" is just a cost of doing business. Therefore they have made a 500 dollar profit from my misfortune. I have to wonder how much income the company makes on a yearly basis due to this. In addition I was a trainee at the time and had backed the truck maybe 4 times.

As far as the chains. The trick Covenant uses to force you to buy chains is they dispatch you to an area where the law requires you to have chains on your truck. Then when you write them and tell them you cant finish the run they send you a messege back saying you will have to buy the chains yourself. If you refuse they will tell you that if you do not buy the chains then you will not get good runs in the future. This is all documented on the Qualcom.

The deal with having any kind of accident at Covenant is this. If this is your first company, make sure you can handle the truck yourself without any further training. They will not train you to back the truck. The trainers only concern is to make himself money because he gets paid extra to run with a student as a team. At no time is there any backing practice until you return to the terminal and then they will assist you in backing into a large hole to pass their so called "test". If you stand and watch people being tested you can see that hardly noone knows how to back the truck at an angle so the so called "tester" will stand outside and guide the trainee into the hole. Once they get it in they will pass you and say you have successfully completed the test. This is no joke and not an exaggeration. It was laughable and I'm ashamed for taking part in it.

I had to threaten my trainer for teaching me (in his words) to "cook the books". This was from day one. I told him that if we did not do it correctly I would jump. Time after time he would use intimidation to have it done his way. When I finished training I assumed it was an isolated incident until I talked to others in my training class. Not one but ALL I talked to went through the same experience with being taught logs as well as no training to back the truck.

Back to the chains. Again, intimidation is used against the driver in the form of threats that they will not give you good loads unless you buy the company equipment for their truck. I have to wonder how many drivers were intimidated enough to do this. I told absolutely not. The next thing they would do is ask me to buy the tires!

And again the so called insurance deductible. OK, maybe. Just maybe it might be legitimate to charge a driver an insurance deductible. Only problem is that you will be hard pressed to get anything for your money because the people at the company then turn around and tell you they have no obligation to actually fix the truck. So they just pocket your money. Where does the money go? Do they pool it all together to buy new trucks in the future? I really can see no other angle to this other than stating that to me it sounds like insurance fraud.