User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Maverick or TMC

I am finishing my CDL-A training in 2 weeks and I don't know which one to choose Maverick or TMC any help would be appreciated. I don't care about the truck all I want is decent home time FRI evening to MON sometimes SUN night. If anyone works with either company from Detroit I would like to know how much they are home. Also is the pay as good as some say with the pay per load I enjoy knowing what I am making all the time and I just learned TMC is getting rid of pay per mile Thanks Guys. If anyone works with either company from Detroit I would like to know how much they are home.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Board Icon

Those 2 companies are very good companies,for what I have heard. Both companies do try to get their guys home for the weekends. There are several threads concerning both of these companies. You can search for them,and or,just scroll down this forum.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 02-01-2007, 02:18 AM
Rookie
Default HOme Time

I work for another flatbed company and with flatbed you will be home weekends most of the time. You will have to leave on Sunday though to make your Monday delivery. My company makes sure you are home every week on Friday but you will have to leave in order to get your week off smoothly.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: HOme Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman
I work for another flatbed company and with flatbed you will be home weekends most of the time. You will have to leave on Sunday though to make your Monday delivery. My company makes sure you are home every week on Friday but you will have to leave in order to get your week off smoothly.
Not necessarily unless your delivery is more than 200 miles away. That's just the way I do it. I almost never deliver more than 200 miles away from the house on Monday so I just get up early and take off. Very rarely do I have to wait in line either. But it's entirely up to you.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:10 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Dave,

Never drove for either but I drove a flatbed and saw them all the time at all the same places. They both seem to be good choices. You'll see that money and loads are the same and no matter who you work for it's basically the same job. Use your gut instincts to feel out the little things that matter to you. I would think you can count on being home 99.9% of all weekends as you're in a good area. I'm near Cleveland and I never missed one but I did get back 6 am Sat Morn a couple times. You may have to leave out Sunday nites some times though. It was maybe 50/50 for me as I tried to avoid it. I was on percentage and I liked it. It all evens out. You make more under load but deadhead for free. If you had experience I would check into smaller local flatbed companies. There's ton's of loads in your area and you can basically get assigned a truck and run the way you like within reason. You can run steel back and forth to Gary/Chicago and get home everyday or every other day. Pick one, get your experience, and educate yourself about what opportunities are out there so you can plan for your next job. Get a year and you have hundreds of options where you live. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:22 AM
Board Regular

I work for Maverick and get home most weekends. I do have stay out every once in a while...out this weekend as a matter of fact. This one was more a matter of running out of hours than anything else.

I do know that a lot of guys up there run a pretty good regional division where they pull covered wagons and haul ALOT of steel. It's worth checking into for anyone that lives up there.

Your welcome to pm me any questions you have and I'll give ya the name of my recruiter. She's been there a long time and knows her stuff.

Good Luck!

Arky
Old 02-08-2007, 02:43 AM
Rookie
Default Thanks FOR ASKING THIS QUESTION

I was thinking of the same to companies, I have spoke to Maverick and talked of the monies and stuff, with me being here in ALABAMA he says there should not be any reason for me not to be home most weekends.I have not heard back from TMC yet.Thanks BE SAFE OUT THERE AND SEE YOU SOON I HOPE
Old 02-09-2007, 03:38 AM
Senior Board Member

IMO, both are great companies to work for and you should do fine with either one. If I can answer any TMC questions, feel free to call me or PM anytime.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:39 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Thanks FOR ASKING THIS QUESTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadye33
I was thinking of the same to companies, I have spoke to Maverick and talked of the monies and stuff, with me being here in ALABAMA he says there should not be any reason for me not to be home most weekends.I have not heard back from TMC yet.Thanks BE SAFE OUT THERE AND SEE YOU SOON I HOPE
dadye33, if you PM me with your name and DOB, I'll check on your application for you.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:07 PM

Just to make a clarification, TMC is not doing away with mileage pay. It's just nobody picks it because you make more off the % pay. So as recruiters here, we don't promote it very much because nobody picks it. I think out of all the trucks we have here, only about 40 guys run cpm.

Matt