User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007, 01:27 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Pay vs. Being Happy

In reading so many of the posts, it looks like alot of the responses are about how much you can make per mile $$.

How many of you consider what I call the "Happy Factor". So many drivers change jobs looking for more $$ that they lose out on the benefits of longevity and developing a good working relationship with their dispatcher and the company.

For example being close to a terminal, it sure is nice being able to park at the terminal, write up any repairs and go home, come back and they are fixed, rather than hang around a terminal 1000 miles from home for a day or so while a PM or repairs are done.
How much is that worth to a driver???

I have been an OTR driver since "92 and have worked most of the time for just 2 companies athough I did a couple of "greener pasture changes".

There are so many factors other than CPM the newer folks need to look at what will really make them happy at company.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:22 AM

That sure is true. I have a local gig right now and the money is great and the hours are awesome. I am home every afternoon. I only work from 230 in the morning to maybe noon at the latest. But I am not happy with this job. I have a boss who breaths down my neck all day long. And on top of that Im longing for the road. I miss the traveling and the traffic jams. (someone slap me for thinking that) But i do enjoy being with my wonderful family everynight.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:30 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Pay vs. Being Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kips41
In reading so many of the posts, it looks like alot of the responses are about how much you can make per mile $$.
When looking at pay, a high mileage rate doesn't mean squat if you won't be getting the mileage. Likewise, a lower mileage rate will pay more if the actual mileage is higher and more importantly, CONSISTENT.

Quote:
How many of you consider what I call the "Happy Factor". So many drivers change jobs looking for more $$ that they lose out on the benefits of longevity and developing a good working relationship with their dispatcher and the company.
Not a whole lot in the way of those benefits - there are almost as many dispatchers and other company office staff who get bounced around from department to department, and who also go elsewhere looking for greener pastures. The biggest advantage to sticking around is that you will get to know the company's freight lanes and customers well. That, in turn should make for better and more consistent mileage. "should" is italicized, because knowing the "system" won't help you one bit if you have an incompetent moron as a dispatcher.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:40 AM
Senior Board Member

I replied to a post close to what your saying ( happy factor )
CPM is not on the top of my list for someone to start out with or even to work for. Treatment of employees, equipment, then miles, then cpm. (bennies don't need them) but for the right price I'll take them.

I get a small retirement now, so I don't need to make 4k a month. Heck 2k would be just fine as long as the people treat me right. Don't get me wrong... if I fall into a place and make decent/good money, with good treatment thats a plus.

Last place I worked at I was there for 15 years, was treated real good the first 13... last 2 was going to the dogs. Owner retired and sold and handed the company to his son and VP.

This is the way I look at it... if your not happy with who you work for, NO amount of money is going to change that.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Owner retired and sold and handed the company to his son and VP.
Usually seems to be the fastest way to make a good company go to crap.

I have seen this happen in and out of the trucking industry many times.

To be honest, I only left one company (driving and non driving) over pay issues. All the rest were due to how I was being treated.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:23 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
To be honest, I only left one company (driving and non driving) over pay issues. All the rest were due to how I was being treated.
Yeah that's exactly why I left OTR. Just got tired of being treated like a 4th-class citizen.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Yeah that's exactly why I left OTR. Just got tired of being treated like a 4th-class citizen.
Some people enjoy other aspects of the job, not just that :lol:

There's nothing like the smell of a truck stop parking lot on a hot summer morning :lol:
Old 01-30-2007, 04:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
There's nothing like the smell of a truck stop parking lot on a hot summer morning
Which is often better than the smell coming off the buffet at many T/A's and Flying J's. :shock: :shock:
Old 01-30-2007, 07:03 AM
Board Regular

In my best Robert Duval voice, "I love the smell of urine in the morning!" :shock:
Old 01-30-2007, 07:14 AM

Interesting thread, do you live to work or work to live?

I chase the money and enjoy life with the great money I make, while I enjoy what I do I think the enjoyment is derived from what I make of it. Let's face it, 95% of our time is in solitude, what other job can you smile at the start of the run while the boss treats you subpar and then not see him for the rest of the run, be it a day, a week, or a month? Try that in a cubicle setup, watch the movie office space!!