User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2007, 10:49 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Maverick Specialized & Boyd Brothers

I am currently in school and have been doing my research on flatbed companies. I have already been offered a job with Boyd brothers and Maverick specialized division (hauling glass) can anyone tell me any pros and cons on these two companies.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:14 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Maverick & Boyd

You've been offered a job with no one. You won't be until after you complete a company's OTR training and passed all the final skill and knowledge tests to be upgraded to solo or first seat driver. A "pre-hire" is just to make you feel good.
Do an archives search for "Skills" here, and check his blog at truck.net. Last I knew he pulled for Maverick. BOL
Old 01-23-2007, 03:16 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Maverick & Boyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealord
You've been offered a job with no one. You won't be until after you complete a company's OTR training and passed all the final skill and knowledge tests to be upgraded to solo or first seat driver. A "pre-hire" is just to make you feel good. BOL
I think he's just trying to do some research so he's prepared to go to work after passing all his test . Either way , both companies aren't to bad , although Boyd is minority owed , so if your white don't be shocked if the minority is getting better loads then you .
Old 01-23-2007, 11:13 AM
Default Re: Maverick & Boyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealord
You've been offered a job with no one. You won't be until after you complete a company's OTR training and passed all the final skill and knowledge tests to be upgraded to solo or first seat driver. A "pre-hire" is just to make you feel good. BOL
I think he's just trying to do some research so he's prepared to go to work after passing all his test . Either way , both companies aren't to bad , although Boyd is minority owed , so if your white don't be shocked if the minority is getting better loads then you .
Not being a smart a$$, but is that opinion or fact? I was checking out Boyd Bros too, but would hate to have to have to deal with reverse discrimination at my next job too!

Old 01-23-2007, 11:44 AM

Nope, what Sealord is saying is 100% true. You are never considered an employee until you pass a physical, pass their drug test, road test, and maybe even a load securement test.

A Pre-hire, is basically telling you that based on your qualifications, we are prepared to hire you, if you pass all our requirements, which to my knowledge, everyone has.

I just went through TMC's 1 week Orientation since I have some flatbed experience....even yet I was not hired until my drug test came back, physical went good, road test passed, and took a load securement class.

I wouldnt belive the part about "minority getting better runs than you" I have spoken to many drivers there at Boyd, and none were at all disappointed with the company. They are not gonna sit on a load for a few days waiting for someone they "want" to have that load. Plus since they pay mileage, what does it matter where you go, pay is gonna be the same.

Maverick Specialized would be a decent co, but you better like NYC. I just spoke with an ex-glass hauler with them, and he got pointed into the area quite a bit....bad for some, no prob for others.