User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007, 01:26 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Canuck driver moving to the US

Howdy fellow road warriors !!

I have a query for anyone who can help me with some relevant and reliable information.

I live and work in Edmonton, Alberta, and have been driving trucks with a Class 1 license for just about a year now. Luckily enough for me, despite being a newbie when I started out a year ago, I got a job driving a concrete mixer truck, both tractor trailers and tandem steerings with tri-axles, for a company that is arguably the largest multi-national of its type in the world. The pay & benefits are simply awesome, there's lots of overtime, I get to come home every evening, and its a union position.

However, as most good things sometimes come to an end, probably to make way for something even better, I will be moving to the Pittsburgh-New Castle PA area in the US for good, in a couple of months' time, as my girlfriend lives there, and she's not in a position to move north with her kids. I was on the horns of a huge dilemma for a while, but later realised that she was way more important to me than any job in the world.

I've been doing a lot of research on the internet about trucking jobs in that region, and ideally, I'd like to drive locally, either tankers, end dumps or mixer trucks, or even cans ( containers ). I do have an open mind though, when it comes to driving locally, and wouldn't mind driving regional for a while : but certainly not longhaul or national, or team.

Now, here're my questions :

A) upon my move to the US, would I need to again go through a driving school and appear for a CDL A test, or can I simply go to the local DMV and ask them to issue me a US license in return for my Canadian one ( as is usually the process when moving between provinces or states)?

B) What additional courses / certifications will I need ?

C) Will potential employers consider my 1 year's experience ( by the time I move, it'll be closer to 18 months experience, maybe even more ), or will I have to start all over with zero experience ?

D) What is your opinion on driver placement companies like Transforce, Clearpoint Resources, Optimum Staffing Inc, Drivercareers.com etc ?

E) What are the best and worst companies to work for in that region ( western PA / eastern OH )?

I shall earnestly look forward to a response to my queries, for which, let me express my heartfelt thanks in advance.

From the "City of Champions",

Graymist

--------------------
"Go Oilers, Go !!"
Old 01-14-2007, 05:25 AM
Board Regular

I replied to your PM Graymist. Hope you got it.