Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default ABF anybody

any body here work for ABF or use to work there
Old 01-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

My cousin is on with them out of Carlisle, PA. Its a tough company. He worked a few years on the docks(joined with CDL experience) Then I believe he went to local P&D, then was laid off for a while, etc. Now he has enough experience and time in, he is running line haul OTR. He enjoys it now, but said if his wife didnt have a decent job, they would have starved early on.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Being the on call FNG at any LTL carrier sucks. Once you have a bid (start time) its a great job.

As a blanket statement the Union LTLs like ABF, Yellow/Roadway etc have some of the best wages and bennies in trucking but older equipment. The Yellow driver I bump into daily at a mutual customer drives a old GMC tractor that is as old as I am.

Almost any LTL job is going to be light years better than OTR in terms of pay and working conditions. I made more on a per mile basis my first solo line run than someone who has spent a DECADE at a McMegaCarrier .

I make about $40k/year and I have one of the least demanding bids at my Con-Way barn; working ~45hrs week.

One of the side effects of the 9.5 day is that companies have to hire a bunch of people for the summer peak, only to lay them off in the slow season.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Rookie
Default Yellow

Yellow out of Montgomery IL is hiring NOW. Go to myyellow.com and apply there. when you make scale after 2 yrs and if you want to work 60hr weeks (max) you will make 85k thats for P+D.

Line haul guys can make more but no hiring for them

Like the other poster said, getting to a reg. bid time sucks- but after you get there it isn't bad. I received my bid at that barn last Nov. Now I work 42-45 hrs aweek unless I choose to work more.

Right now scale is 23.48 hr plus compnay paid pension and health. Not one red cent from employees pocket. Overtime after 8 , Time and half for Sat and Double time for Sunday work.

Don't bother applying for the Yellow terminal on the S side. They will be closing soon. They are going to build a new terminal way out west. From Chicago that would be like a 2hr trip --- one way
Old 01-16-2007, 05:44 PM
Rookie

I DRIVE FOR ABF AND IT IS A GOOD COMPANY TO WORK FOR. I STARTED OUT AS A ROAD DRIVER AND DID NOT HAVE TO BE A CASUAL.TRY GETTING ON IN THE SPRING TIME AND SAVE YOUR MONEY IN THE SUMMER IT GETS REAL SLOW AFTER THE FIRST OF THE YEAR BUT IF YOUR MAKING 1100 TO 1400 A WEEK AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAY SCALE IT IS PRETTY EASY TO SAVE ESPECIALLY WITH FREE HEALTH CARE. IF YOU DO GET ON DON'T QUIT WHEN IT GETS SLOW I KNOW GUYS THAT HAVE DONE THAT AND REGRETTED IT. GOOD LUCK
Old 01-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelir
I DRIVE FOR ABF AND IT IS A GOOD COMPANY TO WORK FOR. I STARTED OUT AS A ROAD DRIVER AND DID NOT HAVE TO BE A CASUAL.TRY GETTING ON IN THE SPRING TIME AND SAVE YOUR MONEY IN THE SUMMER IT GETS REAL SLOW AFTER THE FIRST OF THE YEAR BUT IF YOUR MAKING 1100 TO 1400 A WEEK AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAY SCALE IT IS PRETTY EASY TO SAVE ESPECIALLY WITH FREE HEALTH CARE. IF YOU DO GET ON DON'T QUIT WHEN IT GETS SLOW I KNOW GUYS THAT HAVE DONE THAT AND REGRETTED IT. GOOD LUCK
Dood ... use your cap button, all your post are yelling. Or is that why you name is yelir = yeller
Old 01-17-2007, 06:02 AM