User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default STILL CONFUSED...CARGO EXPRESS

Hi There Trucking People.... I am still working on getting my CDL... have received my CDL permit and was thinking about going with Willis Shaw Express... they have a local training terminal here in Boise but will not put things in writing and seem pretty disorganized in general.... so option two and three.... go with Swift who has a training terminal in Lewiston, Idaho... but here is the confusing part....

there is a small local company, CARGO EXPRESS... they have about 180 trucks, International and Kenworths... they range from five years old to new... they are certified by the state and the local WIA will pay $1200 towards the $2500.00 for training.... I will pay $2000.00 as I already have my CDL Permit and I must agree to stay for six months.

The pay is comparable to most other companies but.... health insurance won't kick in for six months.... I am in my early fifties and don't know if or when I might need the benefits.... there is a 401K... but no stock purchase agreement as it is a privately owned company. I get the feeling like they, even though their state certified, might be a bit lax in their training and potential safety.... there is not a minimum number of hours of training....

I need some direction.... I read here that Swift is someone to stay away from.... I have been in business and know the world is not perfect and can handle myself.... but what's the best route....? Please give some advise.
thanks
Old 01-06-2007, 08:30 PM

The fact that they are smaller, and/or privately held does not necessarily mean they will be lax on training. They may even be more thorough, you never know. Best way to find out is to talk to some of their drivers.

On the other hand, being smaller, they may not have a benefits package / insurance plan as good as larger companies. As a rule, the larger the insured pool (which is to say number of employees) the better the benefits and lower the price. This isn't a hard fast rule,as some small companies really go the extra mile to provide their employees with the best and some large companies are too busy counting pennies to really care about their employees. Since it sounds like an important issue to you, I would look closely at what they have to offer benefit / insurance wise. See if they will let you browse an insurance information package, etc.

If all the bennies look good, the money is right, their safety record is solid and you hear good things from their drivers, then I would jump on it. Do your homework before you jump in, no matter where you decide to jump.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:20 AM

Genesisman,

you might want to look into Sage in Caldwell. They are a reputable company that can get you connected with good companies to start with and most companies offer a reimbursement if you stay with them for over 30 days. Just a thought though.