User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Nick Strimbu, Ohio

Anyone have any info on this company? I know they are small(130+Trucks) but its worth a shot. They are out of the Youngstown/Niles area of Ohio
Old 01-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Info

Check 'em at safersys.org. BOL
Old 01-04-2007, 05:50 PM

The only time I ever heard anything bad about them was from one of their drivers who quit because... he didn't like to chain down loads.

They seem to run better equipment than comparable flatbed companies in the immediate area, aka PI&I and Yourga. Family owned place too.

CROCS ARE NOT SHOES
Old 01-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Board Regular

I hope it works out for you!!
Old 01-05-2007, 08:45 PM

Well I went to my interview today, and I was very disappointed. They are a Union company, but I was disappointed that the pay, etc was worse than most all non-union companies, except that you had to pay a decent chunk of $$ to the union. $17 to tarp a load, and you must work local to thier terminal for aprox 3 weeks, which is no-can-do living 150 miles away. I was pretty disappointed.

After 10 years, pay = 26.5% of gross, which is bad when TMC advertises 27% for east coast, and no huge amounts of experience needed. You also had to pay for your benefits, about the same as everyone else.

I really though a Union environment would be a little better than everyone else, but I guess thats not at all companies. My uncle is a teamster and very happy.

Oh well, I left on a good note, but everything they told me, could have easily been said over the telephone, and saved me a 300 mile round trip. They acted like they were ready to make an offer when I came out in person, but just handed me an application.

Maybe its a good company, I cant say anything there, however I wasnt that impressed with how the future looked down the road with them.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csramsey640
Well I went to my interview today, and I was very disappointed. They are a Union company, but I was disappointed that the pay, etc was worse than most all non-union companies, except that you had to pay a decent chunk of $$ to the union. $17 to tarp a load, and you must work local to thier terminal for aprox 3 weeks, which is no-can-do living 150 miles away. I was pretty disappointed.

After 10 years, pay = 26.5% of gross, which is bad when TMC advertises 27% for east coast, and no huge amounts of experience needed. You also had to pay for your benefits, about the same as everyone else.

I really though a Union environment would be a little better than everyone else, but I guess thats not at all companies. My uncle is a teamster and very happy.

Oh well, I left on a good note, but everything they told me, could have easily been said over the telephone, and saved me a 300 mile round trip. They acted like they were ready to make an offer when I came out in person, but just handed me an application.

Maybe its a good company, I cant say anything there, however I wasnt that impressed with how the future looked down the road with them.
They haul steel, the union contract means very little as steel pretty much pays the same at all companies. Baker and PI&I are also union, but I did think they had free medical. Were you attracted because you want to haul steel or because they were union? Where do you live I'm a former steel hauler if you want some info.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:52 PM

A little of both. I have experience with steel and flatbed driving. I only learned right before my interview that they were union. It didnt make a difference since I applied before even knowing, but I was intrigued since they were Union.

Another thing that torqued me off was the tarp pay. He said they do not pay tarp pay(which with steel is a 99% tarp rate :roll: ) But one of their customers pays to tarp $35, he said Strimbu gets 1/2 and the driver gets 1/2...which is complete BS. If what he said is true, the company will haul 99.9% of their loads without a tarp pay....and that's fine to beat the driver down, but the one they do get paid for, they take 1/2? Ummm ok.

He also said many driver will buy their own lightweight tarps that haul out of there....WTF Why do drivers buy tarps to tear up and haul your company loads?????? To get paid the full $35 to tarp, come on...thats crazy.

I really thought they looked like a good company during my initial phone interview. and the boasting that their average employee has 10 years service....after the interview, Im sorry but I wonder what the thinking is with these employees, to make less % than a standard co, pay $42 a week in dues, still pay 40/80 for insurance, and get no tarp pay, unless they are stupid enough to pay for tarps for the company to make money on, and haul out of 1 location.

He said starting out my pay would average 500-600 a week once OTR.

No thanks. I am currently running the same materials you are, at the same locations, and doing so safely and successfully for the past 6 months...Why do I have to run 3 weeks locally, and 6 weeks with a trainer to prove myself?.....

There is a fine line...I appreciate the classroom portion, because I enjoy learning a better or quicker way, and even a short time OTR to learn the company process is fine...but to be placed in the same category as a person who has never driven before....Its kinda of an insult.

The have also never had a strike...which wasnt suprising, since the company drivers will sheel out hundreds of $$ to buy tarps to use, or tarp your garbage for free, or work for less than the others, with no rider policy( :lol: had to add that one)...Im guessing they have the drivers so brainwashed they dont even know they are allowed to turn down an offer.