User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default LTL/Warehouse in Florida?

Hello,

Just a quick question for anyone who knows the area. I'm looking into trucking and I heard when I lived in Colorado there were a few LTL companies there that would have you work on a dock but would also help you get your CDL. Anyone know if there are any companies around that would do that here in FL?

Thanks!
Tim
Old 12-26-2006, 10:47 PM
Default cdl training

Why not just go to a company that does training. You would be better off that way. Never know. You might check with roadway,, estes, yellow I dont know some of them companys

slider

Loaded Like A Boxcar, Drive It Like A Stock Car
Old 12-26-2006, 10:50 PM
Rookie

I'm trying to find a way to still make income while training which is why I was looking to see if I could find an LTL or something like that where I could work and still get my CDL.

Tim
Old 12-27-2006, 12:26 AM
Senior Board Member

I did dock-to-driver with Con-Way. I got 20-25 hrs @ 13.20 hr weekly while in training.

Here in Reno I know FedEx Freight also does it.

LTL is not for everyone. Its up there with flatbedding & bedbugging in terms of the physical demands it places on you. More than half of the people who are hired off the street can't adapt.

AFAIK LTLs only do it in areas where they have a shortage of drivers. From other postings on here about the lack of freight out and scarce and low paying local jobs in FL I think its more a a buyers market for drivers.

Best bet is to cold call all the LTLs in you area and see if they are hiring.

Happy Hunting
Old 01-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: LTL/Warehouse in Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo8000
Hello,

Just a quick question for anyone who knows the area. I'm looking into trucking and I heard when I lived in Colorado there were a few LTL companies there that would have you work on a dock but would also help you get your CDL. Anyone know if there are any companies around that would do that here in FL?

Thanks!
Tim
Tim, the good news is that Punta Gorda is a nice place to live.... its my home also, at least most of the time...

The bad news is that the job market "sucks". About the only "trucking jobs" around there are either "sheisters" or concrete trucks. The closest ltl's are in Fort Myers, or up in Sarasota/Bradenton area.

Averitt has a terminal in Fort Myers....and occasionally advertises, but I can't remember the "experience level required".

Beyond that....there is a roofing supply place thats always looking for drivers...lots of unloading, and then there are a couple of propane outfits who want drivers.... pay? :x :x :evil:

Thats why I do "OTR".

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.