User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2006, 12:54 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Some holiday research

On my way up from Florida to Tennessee yesterday, which was christmas, i decided to do a little bit of quick, not in detail research to see first off how many trucks were out there away from their family on the holiday, and secondly to see who these company's were. Now i know some drivers may choose to stay out over the holiday, and that seemed to be the norm. for my little research project, all your big companies Ex.Werner, Schneider, LCT, Roehl, Covenant, etc. had about 5 to 6 trucks out on that stretch of road. But what amazed me, and as i got further in to the journey, the numbers of one particular company just kept going up. Can you guess who? I'll give you a minute, but if you couldn't guess, it was SWIFT. I counted over 20 trucks, and that was before the sun went down. Like i said, i know it might be a choice for a driver to stay out, but i don't know about more than 20. Anyway, i was not trucking, i was on my way to Tennessee for Christmas vacation, and just thought some of you out there might find it interesting. Hope everyone has a good new years.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Where I am, the only swift trucks I seen were bobtailing, looked like they were heading home. Thats was from Tri-Cities to Yakima and counted 8.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:57 PM
Board Regular

No bobtails running down 24, or 75, seemed like they were loaded and trying to get where they needed to be. Like i said, it was only an observation, i'm not saying that's good or bad on the part of any of these company's running on Christmas, it was more like i had 10 hours of nothing better to do, so i just started looking.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:19 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Truckin' on Xmas day? Damn, that's sad.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:47 PM
Senior Board Member

They were probably running late after being held up at places like Georgia Pacific which was running 30 loads behind schedule. We were lucky to get out of there at 6pm, some of these guys including alot of Swifties were not leaving til after midnight and that was several hours AFTER their appt. time.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:38 AM

yep swift kept me out the thanksgiving and X-mas both. said they would get me home for both holidays and never did. instead of sending me North they sent me south both times. contacted my DM and he said well we will try next year. well for the there was no next year because i left shortly after. no turkey day no x-mas and no new years day i said to hell with it since i didn't even get any kind of extra pay for staying out against my will. it was unfortunately my grandmothers last Christmas and i missed it. might not sound like much but she raised me and that was HER holiday and i hated being out but i had to do it so i could make money.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:25 PM

Driving from MD to TN I did the same thing. I made the drive on Christmas Eve looking at both the trucks on the road and the trucks parked in the back of the TS lots (sitting at home sipping on eggnog). Werner was the worst I saw across I-81 and I-40! Of course Swift was up there too. Wal-Mart was doing it too, but most probably made it home that night. Melton and TMC were sitting at the TS. Who else?