User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2006, 03:22 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Stevens Transport

I met with a rep for this company, and would appreciate any info that you guys could share with me.

What do you think about their lease/purchase program? It appears that the only way to make a lot of money is to go the lease-purchase route, that is what interests me the most.

The rep says that new drivers average 3000 miles per week @ .26

He claims that "our drivers make less per mile, but drive more miles.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:30 AM
Board Regular

......please use the search feature above......tons of great info about them :shock:
Old 12-20-2006, 03:36 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Stevens Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiikkee
I met with a rep for this company, and would appreciate any info that you guys could share with me.
OK.... you ready for a firestorm of answers??? Got your asbestos undies on?

Quote:
What do you think about their lease/purchase program? It appears that the only way to make a lot of money is to go the lease-purchase route, that is what interests me the most.
I have a better idea.... I'll buy a brand new truck, lease it to you and hose you down in one week.....that way you'll get that notion out of your head fast. Do a search on "Stephens" and "Lease Purchase" and be ready to read about alot of people that ended up broke, destitute, bankrupt and suicidal....all of whom thought they would make big money.....

[The rep says that new drivers average 3000 miles per week @ .26

He claims that "our drivers make less per mile, but drive more miles.[/quote]

Yep... :shock: More for less is better... :? :? That was probably the ONLY honest thing the guy told you!!

#1. Stay away from anything with "Lease" attached to it.

#2. Stay away from any company that says you will "average 3000 miles a week! Its highly unlikely it will happen, period!

#3. Stay away from cheap companies that won't pay you a living wage.

26 cpm is what a student driver gets paid at CFI, and when he gets his own truck (assigned) he gets 28 cpm, and by the end of the year he is making 35 cpm....and that is paid as practical miles versus the rip-off HHG miles. The CFI driver also gets 5 cpm extra for every dispatched mile in the 12 NE states.

Do some research and homework....search these forums using the search function .... just use "Stephens".....then you you will get the answers to your questions.
8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:51 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Stevens Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiikkee
Quote:
OK.... you ready for a firestorm of answers??? Got your asbestos undies on?

Quote:
I have a better idea.... I'll buy a brand new truck, lease it to you and hose you down in one week.....that way you'll get that notion out of your head fast. Do a search on "Stephens" and "Lease Purchase" and be ready to read about alot of people that ended up broke, destitute, bankrupt and suicidal....all of whom thought they would make big money.....

[The rep says that new drivers average 3000 miles per week @ .26

He claims that "our drivers make less per mile, but drive more miles.
Yep... :shock: More for less is better... :? :? That was probably the ONLY honest thing the guy told you!!

#1. Stay away from anything with "Lease" attached to it.

#2. Stay away from any company that says you will "average 3000 miles a week! Its highly unlikely it will happen, period!

#3. Stay away from cheap companies that won't pay you a living wage.

26 cpm is what a student driver gets paid at CFI, and when he gets his own truck (assigned) he gets 28 cpm, and by the end of the year he is making 35 cpm....and that is paid as practical miles versus the rip-off HHG miles. The CFI driver also gets 5 cpm extra for every dispatched mile in the 12 NE states.

Do some research and homework....search these forums using the search function .... just use "Stephens".....then you you will get the answers to your questions. 8)
Skywalker.....I have always valued your posts and agree 110% with what you say in this one.

There is one minor discrepancy......a student driver for CFI does not necessarily make 0.35cpm at the end of the year. He/she has the potential to make that as long as the wheels are turning.

According to Christine, the pay increases are based on performance and mileage.

26cpm while out with a trainer (2-3 weeks, 7500 miles driven with trainer)
.28cpm when you upgrade to your own company truck
.30cpm at 60,000-89,999
.32cpm at 90,000-119,999
.35cpm at 120,000-124,999
.36cpm at 125,000+
Old 12-20-2006, 12:20 PM
Senior Board Member

I worked for them 6 years ago so any info I have will be grossly out of date.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Board Regular
Default Stevens Transport

Good:

They have real nice Kenworth T2000 trucks.

They haul reefer, so you will always have freight to pull.

Bad:

You will live in the truck 3 to 8 weeks before they get you home. :cry:

They start you off at .26 cpm. So you will need to run all day everyday to make any $$ :x

You will spend 4 hours or more waiting to get loaded at places like IBF (Tyson's Food) only to have your load re-powered (stolen) by a team. :evil:

You can not take your truck home unless your yard has an 8 foot fence around it. You will have to find a Kenworth or Thermoking dealer to park at and find a ride home from there.

If you get any dents, scratches, etc on their truck it will be reported on your DAC. Thus making it hard to find a better job, so you will be stuck with them.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Rookie

Thanks guys.

I've been searching the forum attempting to get more information on companies that have their own school.

It appears that all of the companies that are willing to train new drivers without any experience are sweat shops with bad pay. The long amount of time away from home doesn't bother me.

I'll keep reading.