User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2006, 02:27 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What to expect with 1 year exp

I have 1 solid year Flatbed exp, with clean MVR, Drug, etc Can anyone give some insight on what is needed from the major flatbed carriers, as far as truck assignment?

I am not "better than anyone" and dont mind class room time on company policy, etc, but Id rather not go with any tainers for a few weeks either.

Are any of the big ones(TMC,Arrow, Maverick,ATS, Boyd, etc) assigning trucks after a road test/class room?
Old 12-20-2006, 02:41 AM
Board Regular

you a current driver?....if so i see no reason for you to be with a trainer, now if you have one yr exp. but it was a yr ago, you may need a refresher course, and or few weeks with trainer
Old 12-20-2006, 03:04 AM

nope thats current driving. I am looking for something dedicated to be with family, which is hard because I will be leaving a family ran business. Problem is, its mostly long haul stuff, and I never can get home to see my wife.

Like I said I know every company is different, wants loads secured differently, etc and I dont mind that. Im just not excited about running with another for a few weeks
Old 12-20-2006, 03:21 AM
Board Regular

i understand about being out with another...it is doable, but just flat out sux.
Hopefully someone else here will chip in, i dont pull flats, there are numerous drivers on the forums that work for companies you listed, and if im not mistaken Maverick gets you home evey weekend and a damn good co. all around.....from what i hear.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:40 AM
Board Regular

Some company's may want you to team with someone a short while to learn their policy's and paperwork but i don't think its all that bad.....most just give you classes on those things and turn you loose after you show you are competent with their equipment and understand their paperwork and policies.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Senior Board Member

if you haven't been off the road for over a year then you should be ok alot of companies now are going to one year experience in five years
Old 12-20-2006, 02:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Another question I have is: Is you driving local, regional, OTR?

If regional or OTR then at most you will attend orientation which covers phyicals, drug test, company policy, FMCSA regs including log books. Depending on the company you may also attend a load securement class.

If your driving was all local then you may very well be required by the company to go out with a trainer for 2 to 4 weeks.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Board Regular

"
Quote:
nope thats current driving. I am looking for something dedicated to be with family, which is hard because I will be leaving a family ran business. Problem is, its mostly long haul stuff, and I never can get home to see my wife.

sounds like a good company. what co is it and where is it located?
Old 12-21-2006, 01:10 PM

The company is located in Tennessee, and if I choose to leave they would already have a replacement. Its gonna be hard since the company I now work for is owned by my father, but with him being from seperate parts of the country and most of his customers in the South, its getting more and more difficult for me to get home. My experience consists of some regional, but mostly Eastern US OTR.

I understand ill have to go through a road test, and maybe some class room stuff depending on who I look at. I cringe at spending a few weeks with a "trainer" Although every company's policies differ, I will do as asked(secure in thier methods, tarp, etc, etc) I am not really bullheaded. I do as Im asked from the person signing the check. I will guarantee one thing, if I have to run with a "trainer" for any extended period of time, I will not be joining that team. I know its being bullheaded, and 1 year really isnt a lifetime, but I was ok to haul flatbed loads of all shapes and sizes, commodities, tarping, legal and non legal for the past year by myself.

I guess we'll deal with it when I get to it. a week or two(at most) isnt gonna kill me, but I think it boils down to pay and seat time. I already have the seat time, was trained very very well(not in classroom) and am bringing home a decent paycheck when I get home. I do not feel that I need to spend 4-6 weeks at training pay to do a job that I have been already doing. Running for $350 a week to "train" is really gonna suck after getting decent pay for a while now.