User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2006, 10:18 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Poor Maverick Driver...

Imagine you go thru all the research, all the headaches, all the schooling (CDL and securement) and think you have made a wonderful choice by hookingup with one of the up and coming, most respected companies around, MAVERICK. Then you show up to pick up your assigned truck and guess what??? It is pumpkin orange. Must be a leftover from the merger. It did not have the ever present highway stripe up the side though. We noticed it North of T-Town today. Seems to always be a lot of those special glass haulers between Tulsa and Coffeyville, anyone know why?
Old 12-15-2006, 10:29 PM
Senior Board Member

I was at Guardian Glass in Geneva,NY today and noticed that. Being the middle of a weekday I was surprised that there was a lot of parked trucks there. I wondered if Maverick got rid of all the drivers or if they just needed some time to transition.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:19 AM
Rookie

Maverick just changed the logo on the door of the old Schneider trucks until they are ready to be traded in for newer models. They kept anybody from Schneider that wanted to stay and began hiring new drivers for the specialized division. Eventually, all of the orange trucks will be phased out and replaced with the maroon trucks...some already have.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:20 AM
Board Icon

Well,for one reason,Schneider was hauling glass out of PPG in Wichita Falls. Now that Maverick has their deck of cards on the pumpkin trucks :P ,they are now hauling that glass. Im not sure about all over,but I do know here(along with Combined-Transport),Maverick is hauling glass out of PPG in the old Schneider trucks.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 12-16-2006, 03:15 AM
Board Regular
Default speaking of specialized glass...

what is up with it? How does it work? I as a lowly "wanna be" staring at trucks going down the road have to ask about it to educate myself. That rack does not look like much to me. How much would a fully loaded weight be compared to say a typical flatbed load, I know a difference between steel and say plastic pipe. But, they do not look to haul much on those racks and I seem to see a lot more empty than full (or with small amount of cargo. Lots of deadhead miles, or are there only a few places that produce it forcing the deadhead. What is "specialized" about it? Is is skyscraper glass? I have studied and researched trucking for a year now, I guess this is one trucking area I know nothing at all about.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:11 AM
Senior Board Member

As if maroon automatics weren't bad enough they now run the ole' Schneider Pumpkins?! :shock:
The ONLY thing I disliked about Maverick were their trucks and now, some have an even worse, if only temporary, look. :roll:
Old 12-16-2006, 04:29 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Mav/SNL

"What is "specialized" about it?" Open equipment is considered "specialized" hauling. Includes flatbed, drop deck, RGN, even the articulated rigs Arrow runs, let alone O/Os whose gig is specialized.
Glass hauling does include architectural glass for construction. If you look closely at Schneider's trailers, the "flatbed" may be hinged between the landing gear and the rear boggies and is dropped to accomodate tall glass. For more conventional loads, the edges are raised so the platform looks like any other flatbed. I didn't pull glass, but a section of the company I worked did. There's more training required of class pullers over regular flatbed work. Cuts and burns can be common for glass pullers. BOL