User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2007, 02:08 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Watkins Shepard / School/ Going For It

Well after a few or more months checking out companies & schools I'll be going with W/S. Seems & sounds to be a good company to go with. I hope this is the way to go ? I haven't herd much negative feedback on them. I like the idea of the school training in the mountains and in the snow. Can't wait to get this going. Well if anyone has something good to say about W/S let me know . ( Made up my mind so no NEG stuff Thanks ) SAL
Old 10-05-2007, 02:23 AM
Board Regular

I think they will be great for someone based on the west coast like you. The only thing negative I have heard in my research is that its not as good of a company as far as home time for folks based on the east coast. They have a terminal about 45 minutes from me in Hickory NC. Heard they haul a lot of carpet.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:24 AM

Good call Sal, I've posted plenty about this company and had a flurry of PMs and emails, consider me a happy W&S driver.
and if you live in Sac. you'll definitely get through home on a regular basis
Old 10-05-2007, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsyrob
I think they will be great for someone based on the west coast like you. The only thing negative I have heard in my research is that its not as good of a company as far as home time for folks based on the east coast. They have a terminal about 45 minutes from me in Hickory NC. Heard they haul a lot of carpet.

Yeah...... According to Sean their real slow in the East for now. But like he says it could change any time. Lots of runs from East to West at the moment. Thanks for your reply wsyrob
Old 10-05-2007, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottsATruckin
Good call Sal, I've posted plenty about this company and had a flurry of PMs and emails, consider me a happy W&S driver.
Good to here R- A- T I now this is a good move ( ?? ) How long have you worked for them ??
Old 10-05-2007, 04:39 AM

Sal,

When do you start training and after you do, let us know how you are doing.

Best regards,

Brad
Old 10-05-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottsATruckin
Good to here R- A- T I now this is a good move ( ?? ) How long have you worked for them ??
I started with them in May and can't really complain about anything, some companies really micro-manage their drivers, make them sit too long or lord over them like the driver is just some loser who's nothing more than "meat in the seat" W/S does none of these things.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Senior Board Member

training in those mountains will give you ALOT OF EXPERIENCE!!!!!! that is a good call on your part
Old 10-06-2007, 12:17 AM

Hey thanks for all the replies and Info your sharing on W/S. Feel free to send more, all is appreciated. Thanks again Sal
Old 11-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Default I Tried To Get On With Them But Think Age 65 Is Too Old For

Watkins & Shepard Did A Number On Me

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This was a long ordeal for me trying to get hired and sent to school with them. I had already been turned down by CRST, SChneider and ITC citing that I don not live in the hireing area. All was OK while in email contact before I filled out the complete application providing my Birthdate. Then it all changed. After they told me that I then said to them.

Oh I forgot to tell you I am a fulltime RV'er and I can just start up the O' Motorhome and be in any hireing area you need me. None of them returned back to me with a comment. I sent couple mre emails and still no response.

So with Watkins and Shepard after sending in the app via truckstop.com and got a response back to please fill out the more extensive application on their web site I called and Talked to Bonnie Dodge. I was up front and told her my age and told her I was mostly intersted in signing on with them because I had read about their Unique Student Loan program thru Transportation Alligance Bank (TAB)

I was told no problem with age if you can pass all the testing required. So I went ahead and filled out the long form application. This process took about a week in all to get it to them. I told Bonnie up front that my credit score was low due to couple three Bumps I got the past year but because they CO Sign I feel there will be no problem and I look forward to driving for them two or three years.

I filled out and faxed in the Long Application on Oct 9th

After they got the app I was told I need to send in 3 yrs of business tax forms to prove I actually was involved in a little business on the internet for the past 3 yrs so I provided all that plus more, another week gone in the process.

Moving right along after signing my life away to be Indebted to them for 4200.00 plus working for them two years min Bonnie emaild me saying where is the Loan Application. I told her I had not rec one to fill out. So she mailed one,

We are running out of time as I am suppose to be in the Nov 26th class.

I bought work shoes on Oct 12th.

I filled out the long Credit app and mailed it back to them.
Gwen told me they arrived on Nov 1st

Then email from Gwen

Bonnie has ok'd your application and we are ready to move on the next step which is to send you in for a Pje. The closest location we have to you is in Las Vegas, NV. I need to know when you will be available to do this so I can schedule the appt. Thank you, Gwen

They set me up for testing in Las Vegas on Nov 8th

I asked Gwen why not get my credit approved before the testing. I thought that was the most important thing.

Her response

I need to know the date before you go in. The loan will not be processed until after the physical is complete and results have come back. Thats why we need to get it done as soon as possible. Thank you. Gwen

Bonnie

Good Morning Gordon

this is the procedure....for coming to school

application ok'd

then physical and hpe(bending and stretching)
we have to have these things done before we can send in the loan documents to the bank..
this is standard procedure on all watkins and shepard students.
Sorry I thought we had gone over this already or your e mail buddies had mentioned this to you.
any more questions please let me know
Bonnie

So I did all my testing on Nov 8th and passed with flying colors and came home with my DOT Cert in my wallet. I figure smooth sailing now they can send in my loan papers to TAB

Then this email on Nov 7th from Gwen

Things are falling into place.

I bought my airline ticket on Nov 10th

This email on Nov 12 th 5 days later. You know these people just keep screwing around and I had to get my airplane ticket before it does not cost 500.00 one way.

Gordon: Have you gotten that copy of your credit report yet from freecredit.com.?

I said
What are you talking about? Nobody told me I have to go out and get a credit report and send to you. This is something the bank would do I think.

She says

Gordon: We still have steps in this process we have to follow thru with. I'm sorry if you feel it is taking too long. Have you gotten the credit report yet with the credit score on it. I need this report before I can send the loan docs to the bank. Thank you, Gwen

Nov 14th

I had appointment at DMV at 9 am so I was off on my way.

I took three tests
Gen 50 questions Missed 5
Combo 20 questions if I remember missed 2
Air Brakes 25 questions Missed 2Total 95 questions
Passed with flying colors and was so happy I have done everything required. W/S required us to take our state DMV tests even though as soon as we get there we have to take the MT tests. They DMV guy in Kingman thought that was insane and stupid because you can't transfer the learner permit to another state.

So when I got back home I get this email from Bobbie

Hello Gordon.
Curt is back we are sending in your loan docs to the bank..just like everyonelse
sorry for confusion...
We will wait to hear from the bank to see if they approve it.
I will let you know as soon as I hear from you...
Bonnie

I asked her again about the credit report.

Congrats on the permit.

woo hoo.

I do not need the credit report....sorry for the confusion for this new process...

we are still learning...
talk soon
Bonnie

Anyway I figure couple three days and I should learn about the loan. Thinking as long as W/S CO signs it should be a walk in the park.

Thur I celebrated at the Colorado River belle Micro Brew Pub couple good beers and then came home to the Great News from Bonnie

Hello Gordon,

Just heard from the Bank....

your score is lower than they will accept... so we can not fund you at this time.

Could you possibly come up with the money up front?
please let me know..

I feel like dropping dead now.

My whole life just passed in front of me.

I aksed why why if you co signed I should of not been turned down

THis from the training dir Cutis Weidner

Mr Brimhall, If you'd like to discuss you potential employment with Watkins and Shepard please call me. I need Bonnie to be working on other things. Please do not e-mail or call her any more.

We have not said we will not employ you. We've only said we will not co-sign a loan for you.

Curt Weidner

Director of Recruiting

800-548-8895

I have not had anymore contact with them, I have contacted the agency to complain about age descrimination because I feel they just needed to find a way to dump me out of the process without telling me I am too old.

I may be wrong but I will try to find out thru a lawyer and getting records from the bank and W/S to see if I was treated Special.

You may not agree but with 4 companys now and months of wasted time my dream is about over.

Now thinking about my own used truck and Authority like Steve and others are doing. Then I have more control.

Arkie