User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hunt Traspotation

So far, I've narrowed my choices to TMC, Maverick and Crete's (NOT JB) Hunt Transportation out of Lincoln, NE. http://(<a href="http://www.hunttran...ation.com</a>)

Are there any Hunt drivers out there who would offer some info on the company? In my RTFF, I've only found one post about Hunt and that was to recommend them, but I can't find any info on their training of student drivers, treatment of drivers, average miles, if they offer percentage, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Honestashol
Old 12-04-2006, 12:22 AM

Anybody?
Old 12-04-2006, 12:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Give it some time bud, sundays are a slow day for this board any way :wink:

Old 12-09-2006, 08:20 PM

I worked for hunt for a while.. Only left because I did not like flatbed. Pay is above average, hometime is questionable, benefits are standard industry benefits good but not great. I like the dispatch system--by region so you do not have to kiss a dispatchers ass. No real appointments for delivery--most appointments were made by you
Old 12-09-2006, 08:53 PM

I drove for Hunt for a year, about a year ago. I loved them. Pay was good and miles were abundant. I was never pressed to "deliver yesterday". There wasn't much tarping. Sometimes I'd get in a rut and it'd seem like I was tarping consecutive loads, but then I wouldn't tarp a thing for weeks. From what I understand, you'll be tarping a lot with Maverick. Tarping's really not all that bad. But $20/tarp load isn't worth it to me....however, I NEVER complained. Dispatch gets annoyed real fast with whiners. If you're a student, count on riding with a trainer for anywhere from 4-8 weeks. If you already have some OTR experience, but no flatbedding experience, you'll still have to ride with a trainer, but for only a couple weeks or so. I always got my requested hometime. But I stayed out for a minimum of 4 weeks at a time, ran hard, and never ever bitched about anything, so dispatch treated me real good. Their trucks are (were) International 9400i Eagles. They come with a 435hp Cummins and a 10 speed Meritor transmission. Some guys had some problems; I got a brand spanking new truck and had one problem with it that was hard to diagnose, but easy to fix once they figured it out. Other than that, I had a great truck. They have speed restrictors set at 65mph. I'm gonna' stop this reply here since it's getting long, but I'm more than happy to continue to answer questions and give my thoughts about Hunt Transportation.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eplurubus
I'm gonna' stop this reply here since it's getting long,
Nonsense, that's the most information I've gotten off of ANY Board. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eplurubus
Their trucks are (were) International 9400i Eagles.
What's their policy on inverters?
Old 12-10-2006, 03:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestashol
What's their policy on inverters?
I was told by a Crete recruiter that 400w was the max and it must be able to plug into the cig lighter. Anything larger would have to be for medical reasons and approved and installed by the company.

I would guess, that since Crete, Shaffer, and Hunt all the same company that the same policies would apply. Your best bet is to actually talk to Hunt about it.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:08 AM

I'm not sure about the inverters, sorry. I didn't have one, and I guess I didn't pay attention to that in orientation. ops: Of course, orientation was a long time ago, too, and maybe I just forgot what they said. Anyways, I wanted to mention a couple more things. They get a lot of oversized loads. Some guys are intimidated by oversize. Not me; I loved them. It pays extra on top of your base cpm, and it just feels cool to be set apart from all the other loads that any "old joe" can pull. But it requires paying special attention to your traveling restrictions, and some guys just don't like that. I don't think Maverick gets much oversize, I think TMC gets some oversize, and I know Hunt definately gets plenty of oversize. Also, the safety department is a stickler about logbooks. That doesn't mean you have to be paranoid about running 100% legal all of the time, but just make sure there are no silly/stupid mistakes adding up in your logbook, or they WILL crack down on you. I rarely ran 100% legal, but I made sure my logbook was meticulous and perfect, and nobody ever even blinked an eye at it. Not even Mr. DOT suspected anything during my inspections. Mr. South Dakota DOT even gave me compliments on how nice and neat my book was, even though the page he was looking at was a total lie. 8) Anyways, good luck on your decision - each one of the companies you have listed have their pro's and con's. I hope you figure out which one is best for you.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:18 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I was just telling GMAN about Hunt today as a matter of fact. Interesting you brought this up.
Hunt has been around for a very long time and they used to haul ALOT of Drilling Pipe and equipment up to AK. and the NWT. This was in the Early 80's. Don't know what they're hauling nowadays but it used to be strictly flatbed and O/O but I guess they have company drivers also now. don't know if they have dry vans now or not.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:42 AM
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

yoopr - Hunt is still strictly flatbed. If I remember correctly, about half of the driving force is stll O/O. Most of their freight is still equipment - they are a priority carrier for John Deere (mostly JD construction equipment), Case, New Holland, and Caterpiller, along with Valmont Industries, who supplies a whole sh$tload of loads. I never had a load of drill stem, however, I did receive several of those cheap plastic pipe loads, and a couple large diameter pipe loads. I don't know if Hunt goes up to AK anymore. I would have loved to go up to AK as a company driver. I don't think O/O would be wise to go up there, but doing it on the company's expense would be just fine and dandy.