Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildK9
I would be careful with that Prime lease, especially if you're solo, as I had the oppurtunity to speak with a gentleman(can't remember his name, I think it was Steve) who used to be some bigwig(or so he claimed) at Prime. He told me that Prime's leases are setup to fail for the solo drivers. He claimed that it's not too bad at first, to "hook" the driver, then near the end the miles drop off. Now, I can't say that what he says is true or not, but I would be very cautious. By the way,he is now working at some company that has a "unique" answer to owning a truck. http://xxfreight.com/ I DO NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT THIS PROGRAM. I remember it was rather interesting, how it was setup. Definitely do plenty of research, before you sign anything in life!!
That looks pretty interesting. I might have to check more into it.
First off it looks like another one of the many Prime options.

Notice no where do they say how you get the truck. How long do you have to drive the truck before it is yours?

Another item is it FORCED dispatch.

Limited home time.

I'd look long and hard before I would go very far. I question if it is legal. If you are a OOIDA member call them and have a talk with them.

Remember -- There Is No Free Lunch

kc0iv
Yeah, I remember it being rather interesting, yet strange and that is why I caution people to thoroughly check out anything BEFORE they sign! :wink:

I do remember thinking if it was on the up and up :?
Old 12-04-2006, 12:01 AM
Board Regular

I'm a company driver and I make $1250-1400 per week with $8 week health insurance. No truck payment, no repair bills, no truck insurance, no workmans comp, 1/2 the social securty tax a O/O pays, a weekly 401K match by the company, payed holidays, payed vacation, and when I take time off, I'm not paying anything. O/O that lease on can't say that. Unless you have your own authority and your own customers it just doesn't make much sense.

If nothing goes wrong I suppose you can make some money, but these trucks are made to break down. And that cost big money these days.

[email protected]
Old 12-04-2006, 12:58 AM

evertruckerr wrote:
Quote:
I'm a company driver and I make $1250-1400 per week with $8 week health insurance. No truck payment, no repair bills, no truck insurance, no workmans comp, 1/2 the social securty tax a O/O pays, a weekly 401K match by the company, payed holidays, payed vacation, and when I take time off, I'm not paying anything. O/O that lease on can't say that. Unless you have your own authority and your own customers it just doesn't make much sense.

If nothing goes wrong I suppose you can make some money, but these trucks are made to break down. And that cost big money these days.
Ain't you special! :lol:
Old 12-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Senior Board Member

As a company driver you also give up your freedom to take vacation or time off when you want. Tell your company it's cold out and you want to go to the Caribbean to warm up and see what they say.

Your paycheck is only good if the company is still in business. Look at the workers at Enron.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmon
As a company driver you also give up your freedom to take vacation or time off when you want. Tell your company it's cold out and you want to go to the Caribbean to warm up and see what they say.
Funny you mention that! Me and my Dad ( UVL O/O's) are going to the Carribean for an 11 day cruise in January He's looking at 2 full months of vacation this year.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Bandit,

If you go past St. Thomas then you will most likely go by my former house.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I would be careful with that Prime lease, especially if you're solo, as I had the oppurtunity to speak with a gentleman(can't remember his name, I think it was Steve) who used to be some bigwig(or so he claimed) at Prime. He told me that Prime's leases are setup to fail for the solo drivers. He claimed that it's not too bad at first, to "hook" the driver, then near the end the miles drop off. Now, I can't say that what he says is true or not, but I would be very cautious. By the way,he is now working at some company that has a "unique" answer to owning a truck. http://xxfreight.com/ I DO NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT THIS PROGRAM. I remember it was rather interesting, how it was setup. Definitely do plenty of research, before you sign anything in life!!

Notice no where do they say how you get the truck. How long do you have to drive the truck before it is yours?

Limited home time.

I'd look long and hard before I would go very far. I question if it is legal. If you are a OOIDA member call them and have a talk with them.

kc0iv
If you are a lease op or O/O isn't it against the law to have forced dispatch?
Old 12-05-2006, 02:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorrillasnot
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Limited home time.

kc0iv

Why would it be against the law?
Old 12-05-2006, 02:43 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmon
Tell your company it's cold out and you want to go to the Caribbean to warm up and see what they say.
No problem. I get 3 weeks of PAID vacation per year and I can take em' pretty much whenever I want. Also paid holidays and accrued paid personal days.

When you take off, you get zilch because your wheels aren't turning under a load.

Quote:
Your paycheck is only good if the company is still in business. Look at the workers at Enron.
You settlement is only good if the shippers/receivers you deal with stay in business as well.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheRoad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorrillasnot
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Limited home time.

kc0iv

Why would it be against the law?
Well it would be against the IRS tax laws to account for the relationship as an independent contractor (and not collect income taxes and more so .. not pay employer SS taxes) and then have polices for the independent contractor of forced dispatch. One of the key questions to determine an independent contractor relationship is whether the individual can accept work / duties or is dictated that work and whether the hours worked are dictated or determined by the individual contractor.

So .. if you force dispatch this individual is no longer an individual contractor but an employee subject to SS employment taxes.

BTW) Social Security is just one addiional little expense of being self employed not seen in the settlement ....