User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2006, 06:37 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Your husband needs good training. If he does not receive it I believe it will be a matter of luck if he has time to develop the necessary skills he will need to handle a bad situation. I do not know if you were in on the May Trucking thread at all but my husband had an accident his first solo trip out.

Have him get another trainer that will properly train him. What is the company attitude and policy regarding training?

I wish you both the best. I just would hate to see anyone in the position we are in.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 11-29-2006, 05:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Fer It
Your husband needs good training. If he does not receive it I believe it will be a matter of luck if he has time to develop the necessary skills he will need to handle a bad situation. I do not know if you were in on the May Trucking thread at all but my husband had an accident his first solo trip out.

Have him get another trainer that will properly train him. What is the company attitude and policy regarding training?

I wish you both the best. I just would hate to see anyone in the position we are in.

Goin Fer It's Wife
No, I wasn't in on much of the May thread, although I know a little bit of the circumstances. Didn't realize the accident was his first solo trip though. This is exactly what concerns me though, that he'll miss something and it will come back to haunt him later.

Greg, thanks for your input as well. I think I will suggest he gets a new trainer if something hasn't already been done by the time I talk to him tonight.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:05 PM
Board Icon

Madii's wife: [Do you have a name I can call you? This is hard to type! :lol: ]

It is not unusual (although many here show disdain for it) for a team operation to train somewhat as a team. Personally, I relished the idea! I didn't need someone to sit in the jumpseat and criticize my every move. And I felt I could drive this truck from day one. I also know my way around the country, and didn't need help getting through big cities. But, that's just ME.

The first thing that caught my eye was that they would STOP and sleep for hours, THEN your husband would get "pushed" to make it somewhere on time. That's B.S. If the trainer wants to train as a team... he is expected to put in his hours and miles!

On the other hand, if he is training like a trainer on a solo run, they should have plenty of time to get there LEGALLY!

Methinks the trainer wants his cake and to eat it, too! Tell your husband to talk it out with him and set the ground rules. The trainer is getting extra money to train him! He has NO right.... nor NEED.... to make your husband run illegal logs! There are two of them in that truck with a CDL, and from what I've heard so far... I could have done all those trips SOLO!

Now, that being said.... many newbies INSIST on logging every HOUR they spend at a stoplight on line 3!!! The trainer is somewhat correct when he says there's no money in logging it EXACTLY as it happens. Your husband may need to "give" a little, too.

Usually, when training as a team, the trainer knows by the second trip or so whether his trainee can DRIVE or not. Whether he has to be "led by the hand" through traffic, big cities, changes in highways, etc.... or whether the trainer can get some sleep so HE can drive, too!

Believe it or not, there will be PLENTY of opportunities to train him in backing, parking, loading, etc.... and sometimes it must wait for a more convenient time. How long is his training period?

But... your husband should NOT be required to drive more than 11 hours a day, or somewhere around 650 miles total per shift (more like 550.) After that... it is the trainer's responsibility to finish out the required miles if it can be done within 11 hours. But, that is why he must sleep whenever he CAN.

In one of your FIRST posts, you said the trainer was NEW to training and might have to "unlearn" a few things. That was encouraging to me, but it seems he may have forgotten his "vow." A simple reminder now and then from your Hubby may be ALL that is necessary.... before it becomes an "issue."

From other posts on this thread, it sounds like the company is a good one. Don't make the mistake that MANY newbies make of getting discouraged at the first little problem and quitting or jumping ship.

Driving a truck requires that you (he) stands up for himself and is a MAN. THIS is respected by other drivers! Two men who've never met have to share a space as big as a walk-in closet for days on end! Nerves will get frayed. But, a detached viewpoint will help BOTH to deal with their problems.... if they have the interpersonal skills to do so.

It is O.K for your husband to communicate to his trainer what HE expects to learn from him.... as long as he does it in a deferential manner that reflects the TRUTH that HE (your husband) may not understand all that is on the trainer's mind.

He can SAY what he doesn't want to do (as far as illegal activities) as long as he shows respect to the trainer that HE (the trainer) knows how to accomplish the job WITH THAT IN MIND.

If given the opportunity, the trainer will make everything happen perfectly legal.... and take ALL the credit for it being his OWN idea! :lol:

Am I making sense to you? I hope so. If not.... you can PM me for more info on "Team Training" or just ask me here. I'll check this thread for awhile.

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Madii's wife: [Do you have a name I can call you? This is hard to type! :lol: ]
Sorry, my name is Hannah

Quote:
It is not unusual (although many here show disdain for it) for a team operation to train somewhat as a team. Personally, I relished the idea! I didn't need someone to sit in the jumpseat and criticize my every move. And I felt I could drive this truck from day one. I also know my way around the country, and didn't need help getting through big cities. But, that's just ME.
And..this would be one thing if they were actually supposed to be operating as a team. He was promised and sworn to (basically) both by the recruiter and the people running orientation that he would not have to do so until the last week. The company makes a very strong point of NOT running team very quickly.
Quote:
The first thing that caught my eye was that they would STOP and sleep for hours, THEN your husband would get "pushed" to make it somewhere on time. That's B.S. If the trainer wants to train as a team... he is expected to put in his hours and miles!
The trainers push to run team is a relatively new happening. When I talked to my husband 2 nights ago his trainer WAS sleeping so that he could finish the miles into St Louis if he needed to.
Quote:
On the other hand, if he is training like a trainer on a solo run, they should have plenty of time to get there LEGALLY!

Methinks the trainer wants his cake and to eat it, too! Tell your husband to talk it out with him and set the ground rules. The trainer is getting extra money to train him! He has NO right.... nor NEED.... to make your husband run illegal logs! There are two of them in that truck with a CDL, and from what I've heard so far... I could have done all those trips SOLO!
Thats kindof the impression I've gotten here as well, that the miles they are putting in are very possible to do totally legally as a solo run. My problem with sorting through that has been that research never equates to being out on the road, which I have not been. My husband has never been before this point either, but he talks about making multiple stops, and staying places to eat longer than he thinks are necessary, etc..

Quote:
Now, that being said.... many newbies INSIST on logging every HOUR they spend at a stoplight on line 3!!! The trainer is somewhat correct when he says there's no money in logging it EXACTLY as it happens. Your husband may need to "give" a little, too.
My husband was OK with "giving" in some, especially when it comes to short stops, sitting at stoplights, and other fine detail things. That is not the kind of thing he is talking about.

Quote:
Believe it or not, there will be PLENTY of opportunities to train him in backing, parking, loading, etc.... and sometimes it must wait for a more convenient time. How long is his training period?
Actually he has a 3 week total training time, and has been out a week. The issue has been he has been told to get OUT of the drivers seat for the trainer to do things my husband feels confident in doing and wants the practice for.

Quote:
In one of your FIRST posts, you said the trainer was NEW to training and might have to "unlearn" a few things. That was encouraging to me, but it seems he may have forgotten his "vow." A simple reminder now and then from your Hubby may be ALL that is necessary.... before it becomes an "issue."
A simple reminder is what my husband tried to give him yesterday, that resulted in his trainer getting mad enough to tell him that he was having him removed from his truck.

Quote:
From other posts on this thread, it sounds like the company is a good one. Don't make the mistake that MANY newbies make of getting discouraged at the first little problem and quitting or jumping ship.
He's not going anywhere, except maybe to request a new trainer! He realizes the trainer does not necessarily represent the company's interests in all things.

Quote:
If given the opportunity, the trainer will make everything happen perfectly legal.... and take ALL the credit for it being his OWN idea! :lol:

Am I making sense to you? I hope so. If not.... you can PM me for more info on "Team Training" or just ask me here. I'll check this thread for awhile.
My only concern with that is his trainer openly admits to not running legal.

I'm hoping to see what tonights update hold within the next several hours, IF he is still allowed to use the phone (which is his trainers).
Old 11-30-2006, 01:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Yesterday's update come this morning, as my husband said he was exhausted when they stopped last night. They dropped in Ponca City, OK, last night and tried to head out for PA. They got stopped by the weather in Bartlesville. When I talked to him this morning they were fixing to head out to a small town outside of Harrisburg, PA supposed to drop tomorrow night but not sure if the weather is going to allow that.

In regards to the other issues, he says they talked and they are resolved. They are not going to run team at this point as my husband doesn't feel comfortable with it. I don't have very many specifics yet as he wasn't able to talk for long before they headed out this morning.

He did mention that they've done drop and hook for the most part.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madii'swife
In regards to the other issues, he says they talked and they are resolved. They are not going to run team at this point as my husband doesn't feel comfortable with it. I don't have very many specifics yet as he wasn't able to talk for long before they headed out this morning.

He did mention that they've done drop and hook for the most part.
Glad to hear everything worked out. I am sure you (and hubby) are very relieved.

So now that the issues are resolved, how does it like TransAm so far?
Old 12-01-2006, 12:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
Glad to hear everything worked out. I am sure you (and hubby) are very relieved.

So now that the issues are resolved, how does it like TransAm so far?
So far so good. He's enjoying the company itself, his only issues had been with trainer. He seems very hapy with the runs they've been getting, and the dispatch they have, etc.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Tonight finds my husband and his trainer stuck at a truck stop in MO due to the weather. They pushed as far as they felt was safe then stopped late afternoon. They are planning on heading out at daybreak tomorrow and try their best to make some headway. They've informed dispatch the load will be late.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:43 AM
Senior Board Member

When I talked to my husband tonight he was outside Indianapolis, planning to drive until he got too tired. He and his trainer ended up stuck (the trainer got the truck buried in ice and snow) in MO until around 4 this afternoon. They are hoping to make a late delivery in PA tomorrow night, then are scheduled for a pickup in New York.

All is no longer well with the trainer again. He was apparently very furious at having to spend almost 24 hours in a truck stop due to the weather. I also found out from my husband that he has not been allowed to drive any of the time they are in the ice/snow conditions, as the trainer is afraid he's going to damage the truck (he is a lease operator so maybe he feels he would be losing out?).
Also, once they got the truck unstuck today, I was on the phone with my husband who was inside the truck stop, he called my home number to tell me to tell my husband to get out to the truck. I immediately did so and told him goodbye. I then left to run errands. When I got home there was a message from his trainer on my answering machine from right after I left. He sighed, then said that he really needed my husband right now or he would be forced to leave him behind. Now...they're at the same truck stop..why couldn't he have gone in? or had 2 minutes worth of patience.
Anyhow, the moral of the story is my husband is requesting a new trainer, as he feels he cannot get along with someone who would threaten to leave him every time he is upset.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madii'swife
When I talked to my husband tonight he was outside Indianapolis, planning to drive until he got too tired. He and his trainer ended up stuck (the trainer got the truck buried in ice and snow) in MO until around 4 this afternoon. They are hoping to make a late delivery in PA tomorrow night, then are scheduled for a pickup in New York.

All is no longer well with the trainer again. He was apparently very furious at having to spend almost 24 hours in a truck stop due to the weather. I also found out from my husband that he has not been allowed to drive any of the time they are in the ice/snow conditions, as the trainer is afraid he's going to damage the truck (he is a lease operator so maybe he feels he would be losing out?).
Also, once they got the truck unstuck today, I was on the phone with my husband who was inside the truck stop, he called my home number to tell me to tell my husband to get out to the truck. I immediately did so and told him goodbye. I then left to run errands. When I got home there was a message from his trainer on my answering machine from right after I left. He sighed, then said that he really needed my husband right now or he would be forced to leave him behind. Now...they're at the same truck stop..why couldn't he have gone in? or had 2 minutes worth of patience.
Anyhow, the moral of the story is my husband is requesting a new trainer, as he feels he cannot get along with someone who would threaten to leave him every time he is upset.
Damn, that trainer sounds like he might be just a little unstable mentally. I would do just like your hubby and request a new trainer immediately.

Sorry to hear he is having such difficulties. But hang in there as I am sure things will get better once he get a decent trainer.