User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2006, 02:03 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default gordon food service

any one hear anything on this company do they run daycabs i know its a food carrier
Old 11-06-2006, 02:38 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: gordon food service

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmuller02
any one hear anything on this company do they run daycabs i know its a food carrier
Their barn is literally a stone's throw away from our home base. I see line-haul drivers pulling double pups with reefers on up and down the interstate. Equipment is top-notch as tractors are all late-model Volvo day-cabs with I believe Eaton Super-10's on the floor. One of their P&D guys told me new hires start at around $17.00 out of the gate with progressive raises every 90 days or so. OT at 50 with double-time after like 60.

If you can hire-on to pull shuttles (line-haul), then I'd say go for it. But those runs usually go to senior men. At food-service outfits such as Gordons, the new guys usually break their backs lugging fully-loaded (and very heavy) handtrucks up and down ramps and steep inclines in the wee hours of the morn' til' they can bid on a better run. Most of those guys bang out 30 stops a day and have thighs like tree trunks. Put it this way - you get issued a new set of work-boots from the company store every couple months, so what does that tell you?

CDL over there stands for Casual Day Lumper LOL. There's easier ways to pull down a good buck in this biz without bustin' your azz. Leave that for the supertruckers.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:12 AM

Just for $hits and giggles, I surfed over to their site and looked up their job description for P&D man. Read it and weep:

Must be able to utilize a two-wheeler with a load weighing up to 350 pounds. Must be able to lift heavy cases weighing up to 70 pounds for long periods of time. While performing the responsibilities of this job, the employee is frequently required to climb stairs and perform repetitive bending and climbing. Position requires at least two overnights per week, as well as working weekends and most holidays.

Ugh! :x
Old 11-06-2006, 05:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmuller02
Their barn is literally a stone's throw away from our home base. I see line-haul drivers pulling double pups with reefers on up and down the interstate. Equipment is top-notch as tractors are all late-model Volvo day-cabs with I believe Eaton Super-10's on the floor. One of their P&D guys told me new hires start at around $17.00 out of the gate with progressive raises every 90 days or so. OT at 50 with double-time after like 60.

If you can hire-on to pull shuttles (line-haul), then I'd say go for it. But those runs usually go to senior men. At food-service outfits such as Gordon's, the new guys usually break their backs lugging fully-loaded (and very heavy) handtrucks up and down ramps and steep inclines in the wee hours of the morn' til' they can bid on a better run. Most of those guys bang out 30 stops a day and have thighs like tree trunks. Put it this way - you get issued a new set of work-boots from the company store every couple months, so what does that tell you?

CDL over there stands for Casual Day Lumper LOL. There's easier ways to pull down a good buck in this biz without bustin' your azz. Leave that for the supertruckers.

These food service company's are some of the best paying jobs in the industry. If you are to lazy to work than stay away. When you have to unload like in the restaurant and food Industries the money is always there. Sure you have to work, but pay and home time are the best!
30 stops a day, what are you on drugs, you would have to be superman to do this. I drove a truck for little Caesars pizza for 10 yrs had a 3 day route, stayed in the hotel 2 nights a week and had 8 to 10 stops for a grand total of 60k a year for 3 days a week work!! Don't lie to people about it. If you are not afraid of hard work go for it, if your a lazy fat A@s then don't!
Old 11-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Rookie

i work for a Ice Company.I hav like 27 stops monday,tuesday is like 25,Wed is 16 :lol: Thursday 18 and friday is just 14 .That is my Summer route.but like now,Winter time i get Mondays off,but still get paid.and i do my route in 4 days.And still going to make in the 30k area.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_66
i work for a Ice Company.I hav like 27 stops monday,tuesday is like 25,Wed is 16 :lol: Thursday 18 and friday is just 14 .That is my Summer route.but like now,Winter time i get Mondays off,but still get paid.and i do my route in 4 days.And still going to make in the 30k area.

that sucks
Old 11-06-2006, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoutlaw
These food service company's are some of the best paying jobs in the industry.
WRONG!! Reinhart starts out at around $16 and change around here. Gordon I know is close to $17. Sysco starts at a little above $17. Overtime only kicks in at around 50 hours or so.

LTL's start out in the $18.00 - $20.00 range and top out at above $22.00. Overtime after 40. And you don't have to lump handtrucks loaded with the goods.

Quote:
Sure you have to work, but pay and home time are the best!
You guys work nights, weekends, and holidays. No thanks!

Quote:
30 stops a day, what are you on drugs, you would have to be superman to do this.
Wrong again. There's a Sysco driver I talk to on my route who does just that. The ice guy in this thread does 27. So who's the lazy one?

Quote:
I am almost 50 and am recovering from a knee surg, and will soon by the end of this month have the same knee replaced and I have a job alot like Gordon.
Well there you have it. That's the biggest reason why I would NEVER touch a food service job. You're not even 50 years young and your getting your knee replaced!! That job wreacks havoc on your back and joints. Worker's comp claims are some of the highest rates in the biz at food service companies.

Quote:
I can always in the food industry and retail knock down 60k to 70k a year, it might be hard work but try to do it as a OTR driver, and most will tell you good luck
That's why I'll stick with LTL. I can make similar money and I don't have to break my back or work nights and weekends pushing frozen food around on handtrucks. That's just crazy.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:26 AM
Senior Board Member

[quote="ColdFrostyMug"]
Quote:
These food service company's are some of the best paying jobs in the industry.
WRONG!! Reinhart starts out at around $16 and change around here. Gordon I know is close to $17. Sysco starts at a little above $17. Overtime only kicks in at around 50 hours or so.

LTL's start out in the $18.00 - $20.00 range and top out at above $22.00. Overtime after 40. And you don't have to lump handtrucks loaded with the goods.

Quote:
Sure you have to work, but pay and home time are the best!
You guys work nights, weekends, and holidays. No thanks!

Quote:
30 stops a day, what are you on drugs, you would have to be superman to do this.
Wrong again. There's a Sysco driver I talk to on my route who does just that. The ice guy in this thread does 27. So who's the lazy one?

Quote:
I am almost 50 and am recovering from a knee surg, and will soon by the end of this month have the same knee replaced and I have a job alot like Gordon.
Well there you have it. That's the biggest reason why I would NEVER touch a food service job. You're not even 50 years young and your getting your knee replaced!! That job wreacks havoc on your back and joints. Worker's comp claims are some of the highest rates in the biz at food service companies.

Quote:
I can always in the food industry and retail knock down 60k to 70k a year, it might be hard work but try to do it as a OTR driver, and most will tell you good luck
That's why I'll stick with LTL. I can make similar money and I don't have to break my back or work nights and weekends pushing frozen food around on handtrucks. That's just crazy.[/quote

I think you need to realize that these type of company's have different types of pay for what you do. a line haul in this type of job will pay you less than the actual hand unload at the store. For instance my job 3 to 5 stops at .39 cpm with average of 4 to 450 miles plus 110.00 for the unloading makes for a 270.00 dollar day at 5 days a week, now some days the miles are less but an average day is around 250.
I don't work nights, I did when I started but with hard work and a good work ethic I moved to days. You can work ltl at nights to ,but I think you mean line haul not ltl. The trucking business works 24 hrs a day now, where have you been? I don't work weekends either, or holidays, and most food and restaurant related company's don't either.
The ice guy did not say 27 in 1 day, go back and READ! You have to look at what you are unloading to see how long it will take you and how many stops a day you can get, lets see, say you are at a stop for 30 minutes which in a lot of cases would be a short time. 30 stops a day at 30 minutes wow that's 9 hrs a day to unload with not much for driving, you would have to be a city driver for that, you get my drift!!. Now for the Ice guy, you back up to a ice storage bin and drop in 20 or more bags, not much time huh! Or ice on a pallet to a store not much time there either.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:51 AM

Quote:
have to look at what you are unloading to see how long it will take you and how many stops a day you can get, lets see, say you are at a stop for 30 minutes which in a lot of cases would be a short time. 30 stops a day at 30 minutes wow that's 9 hrs a day to unload with not much for driving, you would have to be a city driver for that, you get my drift!
Yeah, Sysco and most every other foodservice company puts in 12-15 hour days easy. That's why they only work 4 days per week because they burn up their 60 in that time. 30 stops a day is nothing for those guys.

Quote:
I don't work weekends either, or holidays, and most food and restaurant related company's don't either.
BS!!! Sysco and Rhinehart AND your beloved Gordon ALL work weekends! These guys are up at the crack of dawn and don't roll into the homestead till the cows come home. Straight from Gordon's own job description:

Must be able to utilize a two-wheeler with a load weighing up to 350 pounds. Must be able to lift heavy cases weighing up to 70 pounds for long periods of time. While performing the responsibilities of this job, the employee is frequently required to climb stairs and perform repetitive bending and climbing. Position requires at least two overnights per week, as well as working weekends and most holidays

:roll: :roll: :roll:

I don't know if you're a liar or just plain clueless. Like I said, there's a reason these companies issue you a new set of work boots every couple months. It's because they get trashed from going up and down stairs and ramps with fully-loaded handtrucks.

If you wanna break your back at 2AM popping a handtruck down a flight of stairs then have at it. I could care less. It's your back, knees, and joints, not mine. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Quote:
have to look at what you are unloading to see how long it will take you and how many stops a day you can get, lets see, say you are at a stop for 30 minutes which in a lot of cases would be a short time. 30 stops a day at 30 minutes wow that's 9 hrs a day to unload with not much for driving, you would have to be a city driver for that, you get my drift!
Yeah, Sysco and most every other foodservice company puts in 12-15 hour days easy. That's why they only work 4 days per week because they burn up their 60 in that time. 30 stops a day is nothing for those guys.

Quote:
I don't work weekends either, or holidays, and most food and restaurant related company's don't either.
BS!!! Sysco and Rhinehart AND your beloved Gordon ALL work weekends! These guys are up at the crack of dawn and don't roll into the homestead till the cows come home. Straight from Gordon's own job description:

Must be able to utilize a two-wheeler with a load weighing up to 350 pounds. Must be able to lift heavy cases weighing up to 70 pounds for long periods of time. While performing the responsibilities of this job, the employee is frequently required to climb stairs and perform repetitive bending and climbing. Position requires at least two overnights per week, as well as working weekends and most holidays

:roll: :roll: :roll:

I don't know if you're a liar or just plain clueless. Like I said, there's a reason these companies issue you a new set of work boots every couple months. It's because they get trashed from going up and down stairs and ramps with fully-loaded handtrucks.

If you wanna break your back at 2AM popping a handtruck down a flight of stairs then have at it. I could care less. It's your back, knees, and joints, not mine. Good luck.
Why do you think every food service job works every weekend and holidays. Everyone has to pay there dues and start at the bottom, but in most peoples minds they understand this. the company I work for sees to it we are home for the holidays, all the time!Line haul jobs go 24/7. Like i said trucking is a 24 hr business now!!! even your company!A pair of work boots last me near a year, so what. The pneumatic tires on the hand trucks these days can handle a lot of weight, but you don't go up and down stairs with a hand truck! You load up the handtruck with cases then wheel it into the stores. Learn how to lift correctly and stay in shape { stay away from the buffet} I think what you are trying to get across to me is you prefer to to do the least amount of work and sit, sounds like its time for another cold 1 for YOU! Matches your NAME...lol Just think if it wasn't for the hard worker you would have nothing to do. Just don't put down a job because you personally don't like hard work!