LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Schneider Likely to Shift Fleet to Automatic Transmissions

I just read this on http://www.ttnews.com

Quote:
Schneider National’s safety director said he was “99% certain” the firm would convert its entire 12,000-truck fleet to automatic transmissions beginning in 2007, part of a growing trend among carriers of all sizes.

Fleet operators said they are converting to automatic transmissions, primarily because the trucks are safer.

“Automatic transmissions are the No. 1 safety device at Schneider National,” Don Osterberg, director of driver safety, told Transport Topics Oct. 30.

Schneider, which already operates 800 automatics, ranks No. 8 on the Transport Topics 100 list of the largest U.S. and Canadian for-hire carriers.
Things that make you go Hmmm?
Not only do I think we're going to see a lot more companies going to automatics, but I think they will be the rule rather than the exception in the not so distant future.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Board Regular

I agree with Fly By Night. However, as a former Driveaway driver [hauled new trucks as opposed to trailers] I can tell you the automatics are not fun to drive. The transmissions that the Volvos had were clutch less and not user friendly. They only can go backwards or forwards and would "freeze up" quite often and not go in either direction.

I hauled at least 20-25 loads of automatic Volvos to Canada while doing driveaway. I asked the dealerships why they get so many automatics because we weren't delivering much in the U.S. with the exception of U.S. Express and Interstate. He proceeded to explain to me that most of the Owner Ops in Canada were Pakistani and Indian and they didn't like to shift. They are definitely not as nice to drive as the manuals. So frankly, I'm not looking forward to that day!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Senior Board Member

My God - 12,000 trucks and they're ranked as number 8????

As for the auto's, as I've said before - it's going to go past the being a fad part to being the norm in trucks.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Board Regular

I neglected to mention that automatics don't shift well into the right direction in the winter time. This primarily is due to the fact that the transmission fluid gets thicker in the colder weather. Oh the automatics are not FUN!!! ops:
Old 11-07-2006, 09:19 PM
Board Regular

Meh, our company has a few straight trucks with smaller engines and they aren't even automatic. It might become the norm for large fleets being they have to employ people that just don't get how to shift. I think most companies will probably stick with manual though. Cheaper, and I've heard from so many people that automatics suck!

One driver was telling me that the company he works for started buying autos, and they had something like 4 or 5 of them in with more on order but they had the tendence to miss gears and all sorts of problems so they canceled the order on the rest of them and went back to manuals.

I can't speak on experience I've never driven an auto, but I just don't like the idea of not being in control of the gear I'm in.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:25 PM
Senior Board Member

the auto I looked at had the option to shift by itself or you could do it manually
Old 11-07-2006, 09:28 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicxl
the auto I looked at had the option to shift by itself or you could do it manually
Would take some getting used to. My car is a manual too so whenever I'm in an automatic anything when the light turns red I nearly break my foot when I go for the invisible clutch.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:27 AM
Senior Board Member

When I get off the road and into my suv I always grab at the center shifter when coming to lights out of habit....and my GMC is an auto :shock: :lol:
Old 11-08-2006, 12:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I neglected to mention that automatics don't shift well into the right direction in the winter time. This primarily is due to the fact that the transmission fluid gets thicker in the colder weather. Oh the automatics are not FUN!!!
The auto's in trucks 'transmission fluid' is gear oil - the exact same gear oil that's in your manual tranny.

Quote:
They only can go backwards or forwards and would "freeze up" quite often and not go in either direction.
Does this imply that your manual transmission can go in forward and reverse at the exact same time?

As far as the clutch/clutchless, I do prefer the trucks with the manual clutch pedal. Getting the revs up in order to engage the clutch in the full auto is a pain, especially when you're bobtail - hit the throttle a tad too hard and when the clutch engages it just about throws you out of the seat.

In my pov, i've never about ripped the floor shifter out, but I have slammed on the brake by accident (automatic) when I went to hit the clutch in a quick stop (stopped a lot faster than I had planned).

The debate over auto vs manuals is going to be one that goes on forever. Heck, I could almost say our great-grandkids (I'm 38) will be having the exact same arguments long after we're all dead and gone. People have their own personal preferences. Me, ya, I can shift. But I'd prefer to not have to.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:25 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle
They only can go backwards or forwards and would "freeze up" quite often and not go in either direction.
The manuals go sideways?