User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2006, 10:28 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Whats Better Over The Road Or Local/Regional?

what's really better to do as far as pay is concerned? local or OTR,there is drawbacks on both im sure,but in the end what pays better?
Old 11-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

OTR usually pays the most, then regional, then local. There are always exceptions, but that is the way it usually goes. You sacrifice home time with OTR and income when you drive local. You need to decide exactly what you want and what is important to you. One thing to consider is that you could be considered a local driver and still drive 500 miles in a day. I have known of some "local" drivers who may drive about a 250 mile radius from their terminal, but still be considered a local driver. Local doesn't always mean that you never leave town.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:28 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Lots of homework to do. It varies greatly. The answer is yes and yes. You could start here.

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=20957
Old 11-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Senior Board Member

The replies that you have received so far are very true. I ran OTR, made really good money and was home every weekend, running absolutely 100% legal. Now I run "local" which means I am home most every night, but I cover the entire state of Ohio and parts of Indiana, Kentucky and on rare occasion I may go into western PA. Companies like Swift and JB Hunt consider this regional and not local because I am running 3 or more states. I just happen to live in a "Tri-State" area. My pay is not as good, but it's not terribly far off and I could exceed my OTR pay if I chose to run illegal like they want me to. I'm not saying that all local gigs are like this, but a lot of them are.

I had a driver tell me just the other day, I've heard this a thousand times and in a lot of ways he is correct. He said, " I think you can take all of these companies and throw them in a hat and just pick one out because they're all the same." There are successful and unsuccessful drivers with every company and every position whether it is local or OTR. The driver has more to do with the results than the company ever will. If you do your homework beforehand instead of just diving right in and you are willing to do the work, you can be successful anywhere. It may exist, but I've never seen any profession that offers as many opportunities, even to noobs, as what trucking does. However, for every successful driver there are a few more who got "burned" by a "bad" company or a "lousy" lease-purchase deal, etc...
Old 11-01-2006, 03:24 PM
Board Regular

I'd have to agree with GMAN, there are exceptions, but you generally make more running OTR. ie I could make as much or more money running local where I live, but it would be a lot of hours with a significant amount of physical labor in crappy weather. I'm just not up to that, but others are and it fits their lifestyle being home nightly so they do it.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Which one is better is for YOU to decide. It is all about personal preference. I have seen some local gigs that pay better then most OTR companies and I have seen some local gigs that you could make more money by working for McDonald's! The same goes for OTR. Which one that is better is entirely up to you.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Senior Board Member
Default $$$$

For me I am making more money running local and home every night than I ever did running OTR. You just have to take your lumps OTR to get the experience necessary to land a good local gig. Be patient and keep a clean record and you will find the pot of gold someday.

Good luck!
Old 11-02-2006, 01:26 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

You may make more money runnin' the road, but you'll put in a boatload of hours to get that money. You end up living to work instead of working to live as you're pretty much chained to the truck 24/7. Plus you'll sleep in truckstops and rest areas next to large-cars with straight pipes idling the night away. Meals consist of frozen cooler yummies, 99 cent heart-attacks, or overpriced buffetts.

I gross about $1050\week clocking in only 45-50 hours. Not a king's ransom by any means, but a good wage for these here parts with the kicker that I'm able to enjoy an active social life outside of and away from the truck. I work a strict day-shift, home everynight, and off all weekends and holidays. To me, that's the only way to truck.

I did the OTR thing for awhile but found that it just wasn't my bag. Too many times saying "goodnight" or "I love you" via AT&T. Broken promises from dispatch. Hometime always a roll of the dice. Lots of BS dealing with shippers/receivers/lumpers/DOT/other drivers/etc. Way too many freebies.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:28 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

OTR or Local Regional-Different strokes for Different folks. Whatever fits you.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:16 PM
Rookie
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

When I lived in NJ I averaged $1,300 a week running local. Now I run regional out of Upstate NY and I'm averaging around $950 per week, but I'm through the house almost everyday. In 2002 I had topped out at around $19 per hr. I have a friend that's making $23 an hour running local. Here Upstate NY I see ads for local tractor-trailer drivers for a miserable $9 to $10 per hour.