User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2006, 05:23 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default abf ltl freight questions

had a interview today at abf was told this was something like a casual for thirty days or so then maybe get hired on full time can someone explain this hiring process at abf to me in houston texas location thanks
Old 10-31-2006, 06:08 PM
Default casual

you r a fill in driver. If someone gets sick you take there place till they get back to work. UPS does the same thing.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:27 PM
Rookie

I work for Yellow .. As a casual, you will make 85% of scale. probably around $19 hr. after 30 CONSECUTIVE days at work you will be trown into a 10% pool, which is the bottom 10% of the company. At that time you will work more often then as a casual. The good part of being a 10 is that your bennies are paid wether you work or not, (not done with casuals) You will be on call till you get a certain number of guys under you, then you will get a bid which is a regular start time. If you can put up with working nights days afternoons all in the same week. then you might like it. If you stick with it you can make a VERY good living if you work all the OT they want you to
Old 11-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Board Regular
Default ABF

Correct. And the bottom 10% is called "preferred casual". Answer all your call outs, get a pager if you have to. Don't turn ANYTHING down. If you can stick out the first year and even get an extra board bid, financially you will make Master Freight wages. Working your way up the board is hard, but it is well worth it in the end. I spent MANY years at UPS doing everything from loading to many years in a package car running 120-170 stops a day until I had enough seniority to bid my current gig. In the end, it is worth it. And as far as casuals@UPS, no, we don't do that. We used to hire "temp drivers" for the Christmas overflow, but we've gotten away from that the last several years. We have no casual Class A drivers...
Old 11-02-2006, 03:50 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: ABF

Quote:
Originally Posted by feederfred
Correct. And the bottom 10% is called "preferred casual". Answer all your call outs, get a pager if you have to. Don't turn ANYTHING down. If you can stick out the first year and even get an extra board bid, financially you will make Master Freight wages. Working your way up the board is hard, but it is well worth it in the end. I spent MANY years at UPS doing everything from loading to many years in a package car running 120-170 stops a day until I had enough seniority to bid my current gig. In the end, it is worth it. And as far as casuals@UPS, no, we don't do that. We used to hire "temp drivers" for the Christmas overflow, but we've gotten away from that the last several years. We have no casual Class A drivers...
So if you don't have more drivers do you just run the existing package cars with more stops?

How about feeders, how do you guys deal with the extra volume?
Old 11-04-2006, 11:37 PM
Board Regular

Hey feeder, I work for Roehl. We are going to be picking up UPS's overflow. Drivers who sign up will be hauling doubles if they have the endorsement, run teams and its all D and H's. I have a friend who is going to do it. The only catch is they have to stay out from thanksgiving to dec 23rd. Thought it was cool good way to make some extra money seeing how they r running it teams. No way in !@#$ I would do it though. Dont like sharing a truck and I like to be home every 2 weeks. Well just thought id let u know