User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2006, 02:51 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Well for starters not everyone likes doing local type work. Many would like to spend more time running the open roads than constantly fighting city traffic.

Next those type of jobs are not available everywhere, and in some places where they do have them the competition is fierce.

Next there are many companies that are now paying around 40 cpm for 1 or 2 years experience so the gap is less than it was a few years ago.

Finally, if it was not for OTR drivers the local guys would have a lot less freight to haul. :P :P :P
LOL and you're right-Not everybody likes LTL-especially ME
Old 11-07-2006, 02:44 AM
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintama
I've worked for USF Reddaway and Fed Ex Freight. Reddaway was pretty decent except for the call board, and Fed Ex sucked with all of the Grocery crap.
I'm soooooo close to applying at USF Holland. How physically demanding is LTL, generally.

"Some people are against drunk driving, and I call those people "the cops." But you know, sometimes, you've just got no choice; those kids gotta get to school. " Dave Attell
Old 11-07-2006, 03:12 AM

It depends on who you go with. I never worked for holland, but I did work for Yellow who now owns holland. If you are going to go on the road, if you can walk to the truck, hold a steering wheel, and occasionally drop or hook a trailer, you will be fine. City driving or dock will be different though.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:19 AM

thanks for the response teamster.

I'm totally happy with Crete, I just want more hometime then what they can offer. I don't want to be home every weekend, I want to sleep in my own bed! Besides a weekend to alot of companies is home friday night 8pm-midnight and leave sunday afternoon, no thanks.

USF must be hurting for drivers in my hometown terminal because they are looking for "Local and Linehaul/OTR Drivers".

OK n00b question, what's the difference between linehaul and OTR? Linehaul is terminal-to-terminal and OTR is what I'm doing now?

"Some people are against drunk driving, and I call those people "the cops." But you know, sometimes, you've just got no choice; those kids gotta get to school. " Dave Attell
Old 11-07-2006, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crete_drvr
thanks for the response teamster.

I'm totally happy with Crete, I just want more hometime then what they can offer. I don't want to be home every weekend, I want to sleep in my own bed! Besides a weekend to alot of companies is home friday night 8pm-midnight and leave sunday afternoon, no thanks.

USF must be hurting for drivers in my hometown terminal because they are looking for "Local and Linehaul/OTR Drivers".

OK n00b question, what's the difference between linehaul and OTR? Linehaul is terminal-to-terminal and OTR is what I'm doing now?
Not sure why they are advertising for OTR. I have never seen an ad for them say OTR, as far as I know their linehaul guys stay out for a week, unless they are on a turn bid or something like that. Keep in mind when entering the LTL arena, the first several years can be very frustrating. You will be at the bottom for a long time working inconsistent shifts, runs, etc.. Your income will be hard to figure. You may make 1500 this week, and then 0 the next. They are always hiring, because turnover is high with the bottom guys and they over hire. I went through orientation with 20+ guys at Yellow and most of them quit rather quickly. If you can deal with those types of things and be willing to put the time in you will have a very good and secure job,but it will not be easy.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamster
Keep in mind when entering the LTL arena, the first several years can be very frustrating.
I read your reply rather quickly and this statement didn't register with me until I read it a second time (I'm tired) FIRST SEVERAL YEARS :shock: you must be kidding? No way would I give up my current income to put up with $750 a week.
Quote:
Not sure why they are advertising for OTR. I have never seen an ad for them say OTR
here it is:
http://www.usfc.com/usfc/careers/job...tails3387.html

So will there be times when I wont have any work? Man that sucks. I wish I could talk to one of them on the CB but the majority of them don't have 'em.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:23 AM

It would be worth talking to USF. Maybe they have something to offer that will give you work. Those guys have cbs, but alot of times they are running together and will use a different channel. You wont find them on 19 unless bad weather or road closure or something like that.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:28 AM

Quote:
You wont find them on 19 unless bad weather or road closure or something like that.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Why wouldn't someone wanna listen to ch 19?? I don't get it

The smartest people in the world are on sesame street. I get all my investment advice and advice on family issues there. Life is good.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:49 AM

If you want to get into LTL you would probably be better off finding a smaller LTL carrier in your area. The hours might be better and probably more steady, escpecially if you go local P&D. the pay wont be quite as high, but it will be close.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:17 AM
Board Regular

LTL is the way to go now , I have a friend ahead of me on the extra board , he is #118 I am #175 , he's been there 3 years . First year he made 31k , next year 46k then this year he's on pace for 65k . It just goes up from there . I don't mind OTR , I like the fact that you get an assigned truck , but you just don't get paid like you should , Working for Yellow , I finally will be paid what I'm worth in 2 years when I'm at the full rate . It will be groundbreaking when a large OTR company finally starts paying an hourly rate (even if it's only 12 bucks an hour) for fueling,unloading/loading right away,waiting on anything, I would have had 30+ hours a week that I didn't get paid . 30hrsx$12=$360 extra a week,that and my usually 3200 miles at .38 cpm like I got at Roehl would compare with an LTL veteran drivers paycheck .