View Poll Results: If given a CHOICE, which would you rather drive?
Peterbilt 19 26.76%
Freightliner 27 38.03%
Kenworth 25 35.21%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2006, 05:16 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Peterbilt Vs. Freightliner Vs. KW

As for the debate between Freightliners and Peterbilts I wonder if it can be justified by the following hypothetical example:

John Doe works for Joe Schmoe's trucking company. He is VERY happy there as they are an excellent company with great pay, easy loads and excellent driver retention. One problem is Joe Schmoe uses Freightliner trucks. John Doe comes on here extolling the virtue of Freightliner trucks when he really is just trying to be justifiably positive about his company. I wonder, given the choice, would John Doe rather be in a Peterbilt instead of a Freightliner?

The weak arguments I've heard for choosing a Freightliner over a Pete are sometimes quite humorous. My FAVORITE is "I don't want to look over a big hood." Excuse me but if you can't judge distance over the FRONT of your ride, how the heck can you back and dock and judge the BACK of your ride 52 PLUS FEET BEHIND YOU???

IMO Freightliners couldn't hold a candle to a Pete and contrary to some of your beliefs on here, I HAVE driven BOTH. Countless times on the CB radio I've heard everyone agree, hands down, Petes are better trucks. Quality, resale value, appearance, driver satisfaction etc...

Going to start a poll on the subject.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:40 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I drove all the major brands Cornbinder aka International Volvo Freightliner KW and Petes. Flatout I could put more weight into my wagon with a Freightliner than with anything else. I routinely put 47000 lbs of lettuce into a 53ft reefer trailer behind a condo Freightliner yet a 379 Pete I could maybe get 44500 in the box without having to run 1/2 tanks across the country both trucks had the same engine gear boxes and wheelbase and basic setup the only difference was the brand.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Senior Board Member

If I had the choice between a 387 or a century I'd choose the 387 it has nice room inside like the century ...but rides much better than a century....as for driving any Pete or KW with a long hood...NO THANKS I don't like having to ...SHIMMY ...between the seats to enter and exit the bunk ...and what the heck is up with that silly step they put in most Kw's an Pete's you know that 5 inch drop they have going from the cab to the sleeper ...(Workman's comp teaser) :lol: ...And all those long nose Pete's and Kw's have the mid roof cabs ..nothing like getting in a hurry and coming just short of a concussion as you forget to duck entering or exiting the sleeper .....Another Workman's comp teaser as well ??? :wink: :lol:
Old 10-30-2006, 06:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
If I had the choice between a 387 or a century I'd choose the 387 it has nice room inside like the century ...but rides much better than a century....as for driving any Pete or KW with a long hood...NO THANKS I don't like having to ...SHIMMY ...between the seats to enter and exit the bunk ...and what the heck is up with that silly step they put in most Kw's an Pete's you know that 5 inch drop they have going from the cab to the sleeper ...(Workman's comp teaser) :lol: ...And all those long nose Pete's and Kw's have the mid roof cabs ..nothing like getting in a hurry and coming just short of a concussion as you forget to duck entering or exiting the sleeper .....Another Workman's comp teaser as well ??? :wink: :lol:
There's no drop between the bunk and the seats in my 379??? Although the passageway between the seats is narrow!
Old 10-30-2006, 06:34 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Driven or had every truck with the exception of Volvo and Kenworth FITS me. Western Star would be a close 2nd. Don't know how else to explain it.
I do Not care for Petes
Old 10-30-2006, 07:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldiesPlating
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
There's no drop between the bunk and the seats in my 379??? Although the passageway between the seats is narrow!

What year last on I rode in was an 05 379 it still had the drop ..as did my o6 T-600
Old 10-30-2006, 07:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Ahhhh I see. The one I last rode was an '07.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:38 PM
Senior Board Member

IronEagle,

You wrote:
Quote:
I routinely put 47000 lbs of lettuce into a 53ft reefer trailer behind a condo Freightliner yet a 379 Pete I could maybe get 44500 in the box without having to run 1/2 tanks across the country both trucks had the same engine gear boxes and wheelbase and basic setup the only difference was the brand.
What advantage did the heavier load capacity offer you? Did you win business that you would not have had with the Pete? Did loads sit until a carrier like you came around that could haul that heavy load? If you charged by the pound then I can see the advantage. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:43 PM

When you get paid per 100 weight the more you can shove in the more you get paid. The rate difference Yuma to Chicago with the Freight;iner over the pete was around 500 bucks on the run quite a bit a change over a year. I do not know of anyone who likes to get paid less money to have that shiny chorme on his truck.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:33 PM
Senior Board Member