User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2006, 10:24 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter
I agree with Uturn 100%. If you are not happy with your job? Get out!
And thats the reason i'm changing careers now... I used to be a Project Estimator for a constuction company, and used to work off of blueprints... It's "cool" but it gets old after a while... I'm not the type to sit at the desk. I'm a traveler... I'm willing to work my ass off, if it's necessery, OTR...
Old 10-30-2006, 01:12 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Cant believe it

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkbmlb
I have 5 months experience. I worked for CFI those 5 months making .27 cent a mile. Went to Transport America making .38 cent a mile. No other company will pay that much for a newbie.
I have a minor problem with that statement...about what you made at CFI.

Here is a cut and paste from CFI Drivers that I made:

http://www.cfidrivers.com/phbbs/viewtopic.php?t=454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Here's the pay in a nutshell:

Student driver: 26 cpm on finishers truck.

Finished Student on own truck: 28 cpm followed by incremental raises to 35cpm at one year.

Experienced Driver 35 cpm with 1 years experience. Graduated raises to 41 cpm.

Premium pay for Hazmat (if endorsed and load is placarded) 1 cpm

Premium pay for the 12 NE states 5 cpm.

Safety bonus paid at 1 cpm graduated to 4 cpm for all miles dispatched and paid quarterly.

Layover $60.00 (paid 24 hrs after 4Cool

Holiday pay $60.00 (on truck or home no matter)

Unload/load/driver assist $17.50 per hour minimum 2 hours.

Keep in mind that all miles are paid as Practical Route Miles, not HHG short miles. Its a 7% to 15% higher $$ than HHG.
Here's also why I have a problem with his statement: Whenever a student driver has been released from his or her finisher's truck and assigned their own, they immediately go to 28 cpm, then shortly thereafter get to 30 cpm, and at the end of a year are at 35 cpm. If he was there for 5 months he should have been at at least 30 cpm or possibly 32 cpm. What is very critical to remember is that CFI pays the mileage as PRACTICAL MILES, not HHG short miles. That amounts to a 7% to 15% difference in money.

So, 30 cpm with CFI is basically the same as 34.5 cpm paid where HHG short miles are paid. Conversely, the 38 cpm that he is now getting at Transport America could actually be only 32.3 cpm in reality....because he may not be getting paid for all the miles he is driving. But before you say he's "making more", read on:

He also failed to point out the 1 cpm safety bonus for every dispatched mile... and averaging 3300 miles perweek with CFI he would have been paid $396.00 at the end of 3 months for the safety bonus. Nor did he mention that if he had a hazmat endorsement he would have been paid another 1 cpm for each dispatched mile with a placarded load. Nor did he mention that for every miles he was dispatched in anyone of the 12 NE states he got a 5 cpm premium for every dispatched mile in those states.

I am not criticising Transport America, I am just pointing out the money factors, and those factors apply to all companies that do not pay Practical Miles, but do pay HHG short miles.

If he was averaging 3300 miles per week....even at 28 cpm, without any of the premiums, he was making $924.00 a week as a new driver, and at 30 cpm he would be making $990.00....

Its simply a matter of not comparing apples to oranges..... Please make the comparisons correctly.
8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:51 AM
Default im back

I was making 28 a mile because i had not reached 60000 miles yet. Yes practical does make a difference.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:02 AM

Im not putting CFI down. CFI spoiled me with the equipment, and the organization. It is possible that i may be coming back.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:42 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Im not putting CFI down. CFI spoiled me with the equipment, and the organization. It is possible that i may be coming back.
Why? Have you had a bad experiance with Transport America already? TA is one of the companies on my to-go-to list after cdl school.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
If you go back...you'll be like alot of drivers there. CFI has a way of getting under your skin. Been there and done it myself. 8) 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
This is dry van not flatbed. I average about 3300 miles a week
Ok...roughly, that's about $924 per week. That's is very good when you compare with some of the others companies, for someone with only 5 months experience. There are alot of drivers that I have talked to who didn't make that, and still don't today.

I would suggest staying with that job. Higher cpm doesn't make any difference if you don't get miles.

For example:

I made .34 cpm with JB Hunt. I only got a average of 1700 - 2300 miles per week. (.34 * 2300 = $782.00) And I only got 2300 miles one week out of 2 months. To me, it wasn't worth it to stay on with them. I'm just using my experience with that company, however, alot of companies have about the same weekly average, around 2500 miles.

Keep this in mind before you quit. Just my opinion.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'