User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default UPS Freight & UPS advice

Heres my situation....Im going back to the job I laid off from next month(worked at Roadway for a few weeks driving didnt work out) because their closing at the beginning of the year,I can be eligible for a severence package,Now heres my dilema....When the plant closes I am going to actively pursue my trucking career so I thought to my self I need to,if You would,keep my license going or up to date by putting on more experience while I am working for this plant to close so I put in a few applications for part time drivers or night drivers,Friday I had a interview w/UPS freight for a part time Dockworker position w/CDL(11.25 a )hour & it went well then today I had a appointment w/UPS for a seasonal feeder driver(16.10 a hour) & at UPS freight I was told I could possibly become fulltime in March & at UPS I was told I was done on Dec 31st,my question is,if they call which way do I go & money is not a big issue HELP!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 06:59 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: UPS Freight & UPS advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilCohen1978
Heres my situation....Im going back to the job I laid off from next month(worked at Roadway for a few weeks driving didnt work out) because their closing at the beginning of the year,I can be eligible for a severence package,Now heres my dilema....When the plant closes I am going to actively pursue my trucking career so I thought to my self I need to,if You would,keep my license going or up to date by putting on more experience while I am working for this plant to close so I put in a few applications for part time drivers or night drivers,Friday I had a interview w/UPS freight for a part time Dockworker position w/CDL(11.25 a )hour & it went well then today I had a appointment w/UPS for a seasonal feeder driver(16.10 a hour) & at UPS freight I was told I could possibly become fulltime in March & at UPS I was told I was done on Dec 31st,my question is,if they call which way do I go & money is not a big issue HELP!!!
What part of the US are you in.

I'd go with UPS proper. Is the offer from the freight side former Motor Cargo or Overnight?

11.25 for a dockworker is low. Heck you can make 12-15 at some of the better warehouses around here with no CDL.

BOL
Old 10-23-2006, 07:13 PM
Board Regular

The terminal that I work at started me out at 12 an hour. If you want to work for UPS then work for them, because if you go to UPS Freight its ran like Overnight still an will be for awhile.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:45 PM
Rookie

I live near Cleveland,Ohio & the guy at UPS Freight said when I go full time I would make 17.35
Old 10-24-2006, 01:59 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

11 bones an hour to run a jeep on the dock? That sounds like plantation wages to me, man. No wonder those UPS Freight guys are always cussin' up a storm about their back-assward loads.

I'd still go for it as it looks like that whole outfit will be Teamsters in a short while. Then you're talkin' some major bling. There's a UPS barn near my house and you should see the rides parked there: Cadillac Escalades, Porcshe Cayennes, tricked-out rice-rockets like from that movie the Fast & the Furious...you know those guys are haulin' in some big-time loot. Probably go home to their palatial estates and swim around in their money vaults like Scrooge McDuck. Sure beats bein' parked out on some deserted get-off ramp, that's fo' sho'.

Yep, George Strait was right. There really is a difference between livin' and livin' well.

And that's a big 10-4 from your back door, driver!
Old 10-24-2006, 02:26 AM
Rookie
Default UPS Sucks

I don't know much about the frieght end. But I was a full time package car driver, and it almost killed me from the stress from the B S the management puts you through. It would take me way to long to explain. But I left after three and a half years making 28.00 an hour, and you could offer me double that now to do the same thing and I would turn you down so fast!!! I drive a fuel truck locally now making 17.00 hour not as much, but I love my job, Im happy, and look forward to go to work and thats more important then the crap UPS put me through. Yeah you may see nice cars in the parking lot. But I talk to alot of guys that are there and are trapped because the length they been there, they cant stand it either. Like I say Im not sure how the frieght end is but if UPS runs it they will run it like very thing else. FAST FAST FAST. and when you just pace yourself they notice it and load you even more.

Good luck with the decision
Jim
Old 10-24-2006, 02:47 AM
Default Re: UPS Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskiehound
I don't know much about the frieght end. But I was a full time package car driver, and it almost killed me from the stress from the B S the management puts you through. It would take me way to long to explain. But I left after three and a half years making 28.00 an hour, and you could offer me double that now to do the same thing and I would turn you down so fast!!! I drive a fuel truck locally now making 17.00 hour not as much, but I love my job, Im happy, and look forward to go to work and thats more important then the crap UPS put me through. Yeah you may see nice cars in the parking lot. But I talk to alot of guys that are there and are trapped because the length they been there, they cant stand it either. Like I say Im not sure how the frieght end is but if UPS runs it they will run it like very thing else. FAST FAST FAST. and when you just pace yourself they notice it and load you even more.

Good luck with the decision
Jim
I admit that I wouldn't want to run a package car. I meet those guys on my route all the time and they talk about banging out in the neighborhood of like 70 stops a day. That's just balls to the walls, man. But it's like a cold shower - some guys like that type of helter-skelter pace. Not my cup o' tea per se as that would be alot like the army. Been there, done that. I'd probably give em' the ole' Italian salute and to-the-rear-HARCH! it right outta there. Take this parcel and shove it LOL!

Now, the flip-side of the coin is that eventually, you can bid your way up to feeder. I've nary heard a disparaging word from that group. 100% terminal-terminal drop-n-hook, top-flite bennies, uniforms...I don't think those guys even break down their sets. Now that's truckin' the way truckin' was meant to be. :wink:
Old 10-24-2006, 05:58 AM
Senior Board Member

For a good perspective on what its like to work for "Buster Brown" check out this site:

http://www.denverbrown.com/index.html

Its written from the perspective of a package car driver.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:27 AM
Board Regular

I like how they yell at you calling you by the wrong name constantly. And if you think your fast, your not fast enough. You need to load that truck in 10 minutes because the driver thats taking it doesnt even start for another hour. You have 20 stops? heres 10 more and you have 2 hours to make it back. Hopefully all this will change when UPS really steps in.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Depending on the area UPS also has a handful of trucks doing P&D. I cross paths with them on a regular basis out in Fernley.

Very large customers like Amazon put all their freight for one area onto a trailer and it goes straight to the Hub or center.