User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2006, 01:03 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default ?'s about showers while on the road.

I'm a newbie coming in this field and I'm joining maverick, but my question is how often do you get a chance to shower and do you have to pay or is it free?
Old 10-05-2006, 01:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Whenever you fuel your truck, you'll get a shower ticket. They're good for usually 5 days. As far as how often you'll fuel, that depends on the size of the tanks on the truck and the fuel mileage you get. I average fueling every other day.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Pretty much like Malaki said. Whenever you get 50 to 75 gallons of fuel, which will be every day, you'll receive a free shower. Most large truck stops these days use their own cards for bonus points and showers. Pilot, TA, Flying J, Petro, they all have their own little cards that you carry around with you and when you fuel a shower will be added to your card. Just present the card to the cashier and you'll placed in line for a shower. Depending on the time of day and the truck stop, you may have to wait a little while, but you'll get your shower. Probably a good idea to wear shower shoes or flip-flops as you never know what kind of bacteria is still on the floor. Most truck stop showers are pretty clean, though, so you shouldn't have too much to worry about unless you're a germ nut. Hauling flatbed I always tried to shower each day, but don't your mind set on that. Sometimes you may have to go a couple days without one, but please, don't be a pig. :P
Old 10-05-2006, 02:24 AM
Senior Board Member

I managed to get a shower pretty much every day. I did skip a day here and there, but those were travel days where I had a 1000-1200 milerun and it took 2 days so I wasn't really dirty the second day anyway. I also fueled every day, you never know where you'll be sent next.

The routine that I had down was to get empty, reload and then head for the nearest Pilot or Love's to fuel, grab something to eat and shower. Big advantages to doing this in the middle of the day, there is usually no line to wait for showers. If there was a line and I couldn't fuel, eat and shower in 30-45 minutes or so, I would put the shower off until I parked for the night, but that was rarely the case. Plus I never liked to spend the night in a TS, much better to be sitting on the customer's property ready to unload first thing in the morning if at all possible. This all worked out well for me, but it wouldn't be for everyone. Plus after you've unloaded and loaded you usually want a shower as soon as possible anyway.

Good luck with Maverick, SMB!
Old 10-05-2006, 02:36 AM
Rookie

Ya I'm not a germ nut but I do like to be clean and I've been wondering about the shower thing, but thats cool that if not eveyday maybe ever other I'll get a nice hot shower, ya and a alot of people think a trucker to be "NASTY" well not me I dont live like a pig now and I wont on the road either, thanks for the replys.