User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default looking for some feedback

I am currently a student driver at a local school looking for some feedback or help choosing a company to start with, would like something close with good home time. thanks
Old 10-03-2006, 03:37 PM

I notice you live in Ohio, that will work in your favor... lots of truck traffic, lots of companies running that area, which tends to work well for finding a job and getting home time.

Other than hometime, what are you looking for in a driving career? Tough question, I know, but one worth asking yourself. If you don't have an answer to that, than start digging into places like this, reading everything you can, absorbing all of the information you can. A few examples:

Do you want to run all 48 states, or stay pretty much in the East? Running all 48 will generally keep you away from home longer, and it will limit your choices as many companies never venture East of I35.

You'll likely get offers from all sorts of companies, dry van, refrigerated, flatbed. What type of freight sounds appealing to you? Each has it's own advantages and setbacks, and asking questions of drivers will teach you the basics and help you decide.

Would you be interested in a regional or dedicated account that gets you home more often but offers less variety? Some companies offer a lot more opportunities for this than others.

Do you really want to drive OTR? There are lots of opportunities in your are for local and in state driving.

What matters to you most? High miles? Home time? Being treated like a person and not a truck number? It's hard to answer this until you are out there, but you likely have an image in your mind of what this career will be like. From that, you can ask directed questions about specific carriers and usually get the answer you are looking for.

The best thing you can do is educate yourself about this business (reading through the threads here is a good start, going to a truck stop and talking with drivers is also a very good idea.) Once you start doing that, you will start developing some answers in your mind, as well as developing more questions to ask. Then, when you get to meet recruiters for different companies (and you will likely meet quite a few of them in school) you can start asking questions about those companies specifically. Certainly ask the recruiters, but take their answers with a grain of salt (recruiters have been known to lie.) Then, ask here, or see if you can find one of their drivers at a truck stop to ask.

Basically what I am saying is Ask,ask,ask, learn, be honest with yourself, and don't jump blindly into anything.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:07 PM
Rookie

I have been in the construction field for many yrs now, i know there is a shortage of drivers ,here in ohio it seems hard to find people with a valid DL let alone a clean CDL . I know the demand is good. These recruiters come in and try to low ball these young people . Like i told a recruiter last week i am spending 5000.00 for this school im not taking a 10,000yr paycut to come and work for you.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:37 PM

You might be in for some disappointment then. I don't know what kind of wages they are quoting you, but my hunch is the ones that seem like low ball offers are the ones who are being closer to honest. The hard truth is, you won't make that much money your first year. And, coming from a construction background myself, I can tell you that you will most likely take a pay cut. Is there money to be made in trucking? Sure, these days I do pretty good. But you won't see it your first year, it's something that comes with experience. Any recruiter telling you otherwise, for example claiming you can make 50K your first year, is lying.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Rookie

I think 26000-29000 yr is a low ball number.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:20 PM

30 for the first year is probably about right. But it is hard to look at those numbers comparitvely. A lot depends on a lot of variables out here, and any two drivers from the same company could have radically different annual wages. On a plus note, guys who run hard, pick up and deliver on time, don't complain about every little thing and generally stay on the good side of their dispatcher are the ones who do better financially, so your wages are largely in your own hands. As a base line number, for you right now, looking at the "cents per mile" may be a better indicator. Any company coming in low on that number is likely to come in low overall. If I were you, I would look at that number, consider other variables like benefits and home time, then narrow down the field that way. Once you've chosen a carrier, increase your own wages by being the best driver you possibly can be. Also, when considering that CPM number, take into account the long range outlook. SOme companies start you kind of low, but bump you up quickly. Some companies start you at a higher rate, but raises are stretched farther apart. So look at where you are starting from, then look at where you will be in 6 months, or a year.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Check your messages, I pm'd ya.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat
You might be in for some disappointment then. I don't know what kind of wages they are quoting you, but my hunch is the ones that seem like low ball offers are the ones who are being closer to honest. The hard truth is, you won't make that much money your first year. And, coming from a construction background myself, I can tell you that you will most likely take a pay cut. Is there money to be made in trucking? Sure, these days I do pretty good. But you won't see it your first year, it's something that comes with experience. Any recruiter telling you otherwise, for example claiming you can make 50K your first year, is lying.
NOT always true. I'm a new driver and am WELL on the way to making over 50,000 my first year. To post such a general comment as, "Any recruiter telling you otherwise, for example claiming you can make 50K your first year, is lying." is irresponsible given this is a public forum and could be considered lying on YOUR part. :wink:
Old 10-03-2006, 07:50 PM
Rookie

I must spoiled 39k in const i can operate heavy equiment , ect, i might just stay in this field , at least i will be able to move it from pt a to pt b rather than take a 9k pay cut. my freinds dad worked usf making 60,s local run w/ ot. so rather than stay away from for a week and make 9k less i just stay were im at
Old 10-03-2006, 09:10 PM

Fred, you realize you are the exception and not the rule? I suppose 50K is possible with the right company and a truly ambitious driver, but it isn't nearly as possible as the average recruiter lets on. But since you have found a way to do it, perhaps you could help this would be rookie out by explaining how and telling him how to contact your employer regarding get hired on. Seems like you've got a good thing going, and it would be great if more guys could start out that well.