User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2006, 02:51 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Maverick getting ready Nearly broke down this morning

Well tomorrow is the big day I am driving down to Arkansas to get started with Maverick tomorrow at CDL school. And when I woke up this morning I realized I only had 24 hours till I leave. I took along look at my wife sleeping peacefully and I got back in bed and gave her a big hug and told I was gonna miss her and the Kids and I could feel the tears welling up. She sensed I was getting a little upset. and she said that's OK it wont be that long. and we just lay there together in that warm embrace . I can understand why guys give up now. But I'm not going to. I have to much at stake here. I'm determined to do this and make it happen. 4 weeks is a long time to be away. Now I have maybe just little taste of what military guys go through when they leave. albeit I know I'm not going into harms way and not for months on end. Just a taste of what its like to leave your comfort zone and take a big step in your life. I have been at my current job since before we got married and I have never left this area for more than a couple of weeks and never on my own. I am not sure what I am trying to say here just letting off a little stress I guess. Maybe someone will read this and know what they are in for when they make the decision to take on this life. I will try and update when I can. But probably not until I'm am finished with training. So wish me luck and if you pray please feel free. Ps I have a new found respect for what folks in this line of work go thru everyday and I haven't even started yet. See you guys on the other side.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:04 PM
Board Regular

Good luck, I know what you mean tho I have a 4 yr old and I am going to Maverick in a week or so myself. I miss them already, but I know it will mean a better life overall for my family. 30k more a yr can do wonders for income. I have a good marriage so Im not worried about that. Just hope everything is green on the other side as do you. Take care youll be alright just have to adjust.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Rookie

At last. well here I am I got home last night from little rock. 3 weeks of cdl school. a couple days in the securement barn. and then 4 and a half days of orientation. It was a hard time being away sometimes but I made it thru. with alot of help from my wonderful wife who was right there for me every day even when I felt like I wasnt going to make it. I am so happy I stuck it out. I didnt have to go to the barn but I live 10 hrs away. and they pay 100 bucks a day so I stayed. Im glad I did because I learned alot. I asked to stay home until next thursday. And they said no problem. Mt trainer will between then or maybe the following monday. well goto go . update later.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:31 PM
Board Regular

Congrats on finishing the CDL school.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:51 PM
Rookie

I came here from much further away than you can imagine to become A trucker. I will be on the road soon. My hats off to all you truckers who
spend all this time away from your families in order to make A better life
for you & your loved ones.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:55 AM
Rookie

Class alien one thing Maverick taught us was we are not truckers we are professional drivers. maybe thats why we get paid more. I dont know. LOL . My wife was really a strong backer for me I accussed her of being stronger than I was there were days I felt like I was defeated but she kept me strong with her praise and encouragement. I cant thank her enough . Cdl school was a real roller coaster. And oreintation as well. But I made it. so it cant be to awful bad.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Congrats Deerhunter! It sounds like you are blessed with a wonderful, supportive wife. Congrats on that as well! I spent a few weeks away from the wife and kids while in training also and I can certainly appreciate what you have gone through.

Maverick is a great company, you'll be glad that you went with them. I can tell you from my experience that the grass isn't always as green on the local side either. I wish I would have never left Maverick and I will most likely be headed back there in the near future.

Good luck!
Old 10-28-2006, 01:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhunter
Class alien one thing Maverick taught us was we are not truckers we are professional drivers. maybe thats why we get paid more. I dont know. LOL . My wife was really a strong backer for me I accussed her of being stronger than I was there were days I felt like I was defeated but she kept me strong with her praise and encouragement. I cant thank her enough . Cdl school was a real roller coaster. And oreintation as well. But I made it. so it cant be to awful bad.
I dont know if youre the best paid drivers
Those are the traits of a real woman! Congrats~!
Old 10-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhunter
My wife was really a strong backer for me I accussed her of being stronger than I was there were days I felt like I was defeated but she kept me strong with her praise and encouragement. I cant thank her enough .
Congrats Deerhunter! That is great to hear. It is comforting to know that you have a "cheerleader" back home, who is there to support you 100% in what you are doing, and there to pick you up when you fall. It really makes you try that much harder to acomplish your goal. I know that my wife, will give me the same support that yours did, when it is my time for me to go for training. She knows how much that I really want this to work, and my desire to be a trucker. I truly love her for that. We are so lucky to have wifes like that.