User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 09:41 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Team drivers

Is it worth doin team drivers, will you make a lot more money doing this??
Old 09-19-2006, 12:29 AM

From what I have seen and this is just my expirence - they don't seem to make that much more money. Well not enough for me to put my life in someone else's hands. There is only one driver I would trust and he don't do OTR.

You would ahve to run the numbers the company gives you and then compare against a solo gig. Then decide if your life is worth the difference.

JMO......
Old 09-19-2006, 10:15 PM
crb
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

The only exception to the rule of not trusting your life in someone else's hands is husband wife teams that is what my wife and i are going to do. And from my figures we will make conisderably more than driving solo seperate but once again it is same household.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:01 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Team Driving

I have been running team for 3 months now.

If you figure the team has to run 6000 miles to equal 3000 miles solo .. there is no extra money. But

1. Watkins Shepard offers an additional 4 cents per mile to team to the truck.

2. Watkins Shepard mainly runs teams terminal to terminal drop and hook. You can get into a grove this way and I find my overall mileage increasing because of it as opposed to solo.

3. There are mileage bonuses available to teams.

The downside ...

1. Sleeping in a moving truck. This is an art all by itself.

2. Getting a team partner that respects your values and space. especailly around cleanliness. Also you both want to run as hard. If your partner spends time taking breaks and you spend all your time driving .. then friction will result.

3. Flexibility. As a solo driver you can call it quits and take time after any load by saying "I am not available until ...." as a team you both have to agree unless you are taking home time.

Some ways to split up the work.

Traditionally teams have run 5 & 5 until the HOS rules changed. Then to be simple teams went to a 10 & 10 ... alternatives are

For Husband wife or Significant others ... 5 5 3 3 then park for 8. This is a super solo schedule that allows for sleeping in a quiet environment. I have seen this work. Now the HOS experts are going to chime in and say "You can't split your sleeper time like that .." Well you can. Driver #1 drives 5 hours and then goes into the sleeper for 5 hours. The 14 hour day still has 4 hours and you can drive 3 leaving 1 hour. Driver #2 drives 3 hours with Driver #1 resting for 3 hours. Then driver #1 takes 8 hours (For 11 total and resets the 14 hour clock. Driver #2 does like-so on the back side.

Doing 12 hour midnight to noon noon to midnight. Whatever work comes in that time-frame you take your shift. This has the advantage of keeping your circadian rhythms aligned. If you d not understand it all averages out then your partner or you might complain.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:59 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb
The only exception to the rule of not trusting your life in someone else's hands is husband wife teams that is what my wife and i are going to do. And from my figures we will make conisderably more than driving solo

seperate but once again it is same household.
U can make more as a husban and wife solo think if u both make 40c a mile for the same company and two diff trucks money go to the same househole.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Team Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackaces
Traditionally teams have run 5 & 5 until the HOS rules changed. Then to be simple teams went to a 10 & 10 ... alternatives are

For Husband wife or Significant others ... 5 5 3 3 then park for 8. This is a super solo schedule that allows for sleeping in a quiet environment. I have seen this work. Now the HOS experts are going to chime in and say "You can't split your sleeper time like that .." Well you can. Driver #1 drives 5 hours and then goes into the sleeper for 5 hours. The 14 hour day still has 4 hours and you can drive 3 leaving 1 hour. Driver #2 drives 3 hours with Driver #1 resting for 3 hours. Then driver #1 takes 8 hours (For 11 total and resets the 14 hour clock. Driver #2 does like-so on the back side.
I think the DOT felt that changing the HOS would improve driver safety by making drivers too confused to drive. :P
Old 11-22-2006, 01:35 PM

I ran team with my father in 98 and in 10 months made 45K to the house for me so we were making some great cash.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:51 AM
Board Regular
Default goodluck

goodluck
Old 11-23-2006, 05:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Yesterday, after unloading an etire house worth of HHG I was nodding off in the passenger seat. I slipped off into the sleeper for 2 hours and didn't sleep a wink. i can't sleep in a moving truck, even with my father driving.