User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 09:08 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Does anyone know anything about ARROW

I am a newbie trying to figure out which company to go with and would like any information at all about arrow.

Thank you
Old 09-18-2006, 09:57 PM

what all do you want to know? i can try and answer questions you have, just put 'em out there and i'll do my best.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:02 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Ranger1 drove for them but he hasn't been on here for a long time-Wish he'd visit once in awhile and say everything is hunky dory.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:31 PM
Rookie

I would like to know if ARROW gives you good consistant miles?
2500-3000 week
What are there benifits like?
Do they hire drivers from NY?
What are the dispatchers like?
Are there trucks in good shape/good equipment?

Do the best you can with this. Thanks
Old 09-19-2006, 04:48 PM

Drivers are averaging 2,700-3,000 miles a week.
We offer medical/dental insurance after 60 days of employment.
Yes, we do hire out of NY.
We have 2004 and newer trucks - freightliners, internationals, kenworths and columbias. you won't know what you'll get until you get through orientation because it depends on what's available at that time.

as far as the dispatchers hopefully some current arrow drivers will pop in and say their piece.

anything else?
Old 09-20-2006, 02:08 AM
Rookie

Toner thanks for the feedback.

Are you a recruuter for arrow? Have you ever driven for the company your self? What is the starting CPM?

Thanks
Old 09-20-2006, 02:34 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog33049
I would like to know if ARROW gives you good consistant miles?
2500-3000 week
What are there benifits like?
Do they hire drivers from NY?
What are the dispatchers like?
Are there trucks in good shape/good equipment?

Do the best you can with this. Thanks
As a Houston Regional driver out of the Houston terminal, I didn't do that many miles. 48-state drivers easily did that many miles- Longer runs, less loading. Houston Regional runs were, by and large, out and back to Louisiana and back.

Benefits are EXCELLENT. United Healthcare PPO available at competitive prices.

NY? Sure.

You generally work with one dispatcher. Mine was alright. There was some pressure, though not overt pressure, to run illegally. It is not stated outright that ou need to run illegally, but you know very well that unless you fudge your log a little bit you won't get good runs.

I got a brand new Freigtliner Columbia straight out of orientation with the ink still drying on my CDL. From what I saw, no new drivers got the old Century Class trucks- everyone got new Kenworth T-600 or Freightliner Columbias. At the time, Arrow was replacing its fleet. Now, your mileage may vary.

Good company. It wasn't right for me at the time, but I would recommend them to anyone. Hard work, but good pay.

-p.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:50 AM
Rookie

What type of trailer/cargo do you generally haul as a newbie for this company? Do they route through/near nyc?

I am from NYC and wanna make sure I can get my home time ok.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:12 PM

I work in the recruiting dept but I'm not a recruiter (i do the employment verifications). Starting pay for noobz is .34cpm.

Yeah, the miles i quoted up there are for OTR - regional drivers don't get as many I don't think, and regional pays 26% of the load.

Also if you live in NY and are interested in being a flatbed driver, you might want to go ahead and get the metal coil endorsement on your CDL - it's not required, i don't think, but w/o it you can't pull coil loads in NYstate and that would limit the types of loads that can get you home.

As far as loads and stuff I'm not sure - i shot an email to one of my recruiting cohorts and i'll post the info when she hits me back.

EDIT: here's what i got back.

"He would only be able to run as an OTR driver depending on where he lives. Home time would be about every 4 weeks. I don?t have an answer on how much we go around NYC I do know that if drivers have to go in that vicinity than we pay them extra. The trailers our drivers pull just depends, not on if he?s a new driver or not but the trailers we have are regular 48? flatbed trailers. We also have step decks, spread axel and sliding tandem trailers. Not sure what the difference between the trailers are but hope this helps."

also we haul steel, coils, building materials, pipe, etc.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog33049
What type of trailer/cargo do you generally haul as a newbie for this company? Do they route through/near nyc?

I am from NYC and wanna make sure I can get my home time ok.
I can't relate any personal insight about NYC- but I would count on at least 2 or 3 weeks out from there.

As a newbie you haul whatever everyone else hauls. Down here, it was mainly pipe, some coils, pipe, sheet metal, pipe, HVAC units, and more pipe. Pipe is not fun. You really have to take our time and do your due diligence on securement. It'll kill you if you are lazy. Coils are probably the most dangerous- after all, they are round and can and will roll away. The least fun of all is the "Spaghetti pipe" loads- pre-fab pipe of all shapes and sizes and bends. It is seemingly dropped on the trailer at random and you really have to take your time to get it secured right. On top of that, a lot of it is pre-finished, so you have to put burlap sacks under every strap. Don't even ask how often you have to adjust your straps after travelling the cratered wasteland that is 1-10 from Lake Charles to Houston....

Most of the new trailers are 48' aluminum Utility spread axles. You generally get a trailer and drag it around for a few loads before you end up having to swap it at a drop-and-hook. I pulled steel and aluminum, flat and step-deck, double-drop, tridem axle, whatever. Some oversize as well.

Tarping was the exception down here- most steel commodities simply don't require it, although just about everything out of Lardeo was tarped- Actually tarped twice. It comes across the border with Mexican tarps and those are taken off by crazy fast little Mexicans. You then re-tarp with yours.

Arrow's orientation is very thorough and the load securement training is excellent. I've called Dave Turner a few times since to let him know he had an unsafe load on the road.

Look, flatbedding is hard work, and can be dangerous. You'll sweat more than you thought possible tarping and strapping and chaining down loads. I would get into the truck after securing some loads completely drained. I vomited under a trailer from heat stress in Baton Rouge.

I saw a driver use up 8 of his nine lives at the port of Houston when some 30" pipe rolled off while he was strapping- he ducked under the trailer and missed being crushed to death by inches. I've seen a driver go kite-flying off the truck with his tarp across the yard in windy Laredo. I saw drivers fishhook themselves with bungee cords, do amateur dental work with cheater bars, pinch off the end of fingers in ratchets, crush their feet under steel beams while waking on a trailer being loaded, and crush hands placing dunnage under loads. You MUST be safety-minded at all times.

You will make some decent money by newbie trucker standards- maybe $1000 a week take home depending on your deductions if you run HARD. But you will earn every penny.

-p.